Joe Calzaghe wins again

JD074

Master
Antonio Tarver badmouths Calzaghe:

"As the people's champ, I think a fight with Jeff Lacy would be more credible because I think Jeff has the bigger name right now than Chad Dawson. I am on the record saying that because I think I can really show the world what a guy like (Joe) Calzaghe should have done. How do you beat a man for 12 rounds unmercifully and do not stop him or knock him out? Because you are hitting with feathers, that is why. You are punching with paper. There is no man going to stand up and take a beating from me for 12 rounds. Period. Calzaghe is fool's gold. If he wants to fight, I am willing and ready to step up to fight. I think that fight makes more sense than a Chad Dawson fight. So my whole thing is that I know that I have options. "

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=8905

I know that Calzaghe isn't the biggest puncher in the world, but his so-called "feather fists" did cause some real damage:

Lacy, who required stitches around both eyes after the fight and also appeared to have broken his nose, said: "He came out and fought a remarkable fight. He fought a perfect fight tonight."

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport.cfm?id=336872006

He also criticized Dawson for not having beaten anybody. Who has Jeff Lacy beaten? Robin Reid, that's about it. I would say Adamek is comparable to Reid. And not only that, Lacy tore his rotator cuff in his last fight! And he's in a lower weight class. And he's the one Tarver wants to fight?! Sounds like he's a little worried about Dawson. Or maybe he started talking about Lacy as a roundabout way of insulting/ calling out Calzaghe.

I think Calzaghe versus the winner of Tarver/ Dawson would be compelling. I wasn't really interested in a Calzaghe/ Tarver match-up before, but now I would love too see Calzaghe shut his mouth.
Edited by: JD074

Maple Leaf

Mentor
JD074: Tarver, as usual, is full of himself -full of sh*t. He said he was not only going to outbox Hopkins but that he was going to knock him out. Instead skill prevailed over mouth and Hopkins won. Tarver has supprisingly few fights for someone almost 40. He's slow and not exactly a power puncher himself. I would take Calzaghe on a straightforward points win. He's just jealous because his career is winding down and he will finish his life with modest means whereas Calzaghe is wealthy and shall become even wealthier AFTER his retirement.

There are two articles posted on the WBO web site. Both Calzahge and Kessler say they want to fight each other and both are willing to travel. The hold up seems to be the politics between the sanctioning organizations.