Jerry Falwell

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
My personal opinion is that what is written in the Bible isn't about politics, its about salvation and morality. As long as a slave or a slave owner, for that matter, had accepted Christ as his Lord and Savior, the rest of it would take care of itself. A Christian overseer *should* be more likely to treat his charges well and with kindness, more so than a regular slave master. Likewise, a saved slave would work for the owner out of love for Christ, rather than from fear of beatings.

More over, I don't think the Bible addresses war, abortion, tax rates, the welfare system, or any of the other modern, present day ills that dominate religious discussion. In the Bible, there were saved men who were soldiers and pacifists, celibates, married men, polygamous men, tax collectors, prostitutes, holy men, you name it - none were excluded, and if you ask me, it seems as though the Bible goes out of its way to AVOID making any points related to politics, other than -

Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's, and unto God, what is God's.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
What point was that, Reb? That the Bible can be interpreted so many ways?
smiley36.gif

My opinion is the Bible has no opinion in matters of politics.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

hedgehog

Mentor
Many claim that Gods Laws are Eternal and Unchanging, (many times these claims come up against 'situational ethics') but if one observes them they will see that they change them all the time.

That couldnt be farther from the truth, the bible says in Mal. 3-6 "For I am the lord thy god, and I changeth not". Mr Uberserker, all your examples you listed, were of men and there ideas changing, not gods. You then ask the question "And how do we know that what they are doing NOW is actually wrong and what they did in the past is what is right?!?!?!?"The answer to that is simple, by knowing the word and what it says. As a matter of fact the bible specifically warnsabout false prophets.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

White Shogun said More over, I don't think the Bible addresses war, abortion, tax rates, the welfare system, or any of the other modern, present day ills that dominate religious discussion. In the Bible, there were saved men who were soldiers and pacifists, celibates, married men, polygamous men, tax collectors, prostitutes, holy men, you name it - none were excluded, and if you ask me, it seems as though the Bible goes out of its way to AVOID making any points related to politics, other than -

White Shogun you are absolutely correct when you say there were saved men of all types, prostitutes etc... and that none were excluded. That is the message of the new testament. "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of god" but through his grace and redemption in Jesus Christ all can be saved.

As far as the bible not addressing points related to politics that is incorrect.

As for the bible addressing war- read the old testament, there are numerous examples of god directing variousleaders into war.

The bibles stance on abortion? Jeremiah 1:5 "Before Iformed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you"

The welfare system? 2 Thessalonians 3:10 "If anyone will not work, let him not eat"

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
KJ, you're treading on dangerous ground when you direct someone to the old testament in a discussion about war.

Should we kill all the men, women and children, and keep only those women who have yet to lie with men for ourselves?

I more properly should have said that the NEW TESTAMENT, as a guide for Christians, doesn't specifically address politics.

There are plenty of other scriptures taken one on one that can IMPLY a political context, if taken far enough, but the Bible(NT) does NOT address government programs. It deals specifically with Christians and the Christian community. Outside of the Millenial Reign, none of the Christians in that day ever envisioned a time when their members would set policy for entire nations.

Islam, on the other hand, was meant from the beginning to be both a secular and a religious idealogy, which is part of the problem we have today with fundamentalis Muslim fanatics.