JaMarcus Russell

Deus Vult

Mentor
The Fox TV announcers did this evening what most of the anouncers have done all year long. The ones who do not follow LSU football closely, and have not seen a number of LSU games embarrass themselves by gushing over JaMarcus Russell. They don't know that his stats are padded with numbers rung up versus chump teams, that he disappears (except to contribute turnovers) when matched against good teams like Auburn and Florida. They pimp their own broadcast by telling viewers what a top NFL prospect JaMarcus is.

Chris Landry is a south Louisiana based NFL scout. He is a LSU grad who catches all the Tiger games, whether live or on film. Here is what he has to say about JaMarcus (from an article in today's Shreveport Times):

"Russell scares me... He scares me a lot as a high first-round pick. He does not play smart, and that's what this league is all about. He does not have a good work ethic. He's kind of lazy. And I don't think he is a very good leader. He's aloof. He is also not very good at reading defenses at this point."

"I think he could be really good, but I think he could be a big-time bust... It wouldn't surprise me at all if he busts after going very high in the first round. And he could go very high. I've heard what everybody is saying. A lot of people have him going very high. I could be wrong. He has a long way to go. He needs to take it more seriously and work harder because he won't have it as easy in the NFL as he does now."

"I think JaMarcus needs to stay another year and work harder at being a quarterback. Because in the NFL, it's all about making the right decision and knowing when to throw the ball. He doesn't do that very well right now. It's a different league. If you're not ready to study and prepare, you're not going to succeed..."

"I think he could go very high... I don't think he's coming back to LSU. I think he's physically gifted. The ability is there. He's built like everything you want. In fact, more than you want. He's really a freak. He's built like a defensive end. If he was a defensive end, I'd have no problem with him. But he's a quarterback. I'm worried about his leadership and his work ethic. He could be great. But he's not great."

There is no doubt that he has the arm, im sure he will not pass up the money at the next level. If it was me there would be no possible reason for me to come back and chance getting hurt just like bush for louisville. ND always struggles in big games, that makes 9 straight bowl losses.

whiteCB

Master
I loved when they had Terry Bradshaw and JaMarcus standing back to back showing how JaMarcus towers over the "only" 6 ft 3in Bradshaw. Also they just had to include Bradshaw and Russell comparing hand sizes and how the huge Russell dominates again. I was laughing my ass off watching this stupid nonsense during the game. What stupid sh*t Fox does.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
what i laughed at the hardest was when they were heaping praise on Russell for being able to throw 60 yards from his knees and 40 yards from his butt.
smiley36.gif

i mean, those are pretty impressive feats, but so is being able to spin a football on its point on your finger. none of which makes a guy a good quarterback. furthermore, they didn't say he could hit his target, just that he could throw it a long way... so what's the point?
smiley36.gif

whiteCB said:
I loved when they had Terry Bradshaw and JaMarcus standing back to back showing how JaMarcus towers over the "only" 6 ft 3in Bradshaw. Also they just had to include Bradshaw and Russell comparing hand sizes and how the huge Russell dominates again. I was laughing my ass off watching this stupid nonsense during the game. What stupid sh*t Fox does.

Did you catch when Bradshaw embarrassed himself, yet again, by stating that he couldn't pass a certain university's entrance exam, because he "just wasn't a good test-taker." lol I dislike Bradshaw, but at the same time I feel sorry for him. He's like that cartoon character "Baby Huey," from the old Looney Tunes cartoons.You know, that big, stupid duck that wore a diaper with a safety pin in it, and used to run around singing "I'm bringin' home a ba-by...". Bradshaw is basically a Baby Huey with Super Bowl rings.lol

On a more useful note, I have to give Bradshaw and his cronies credit, because they DID have some nice things to say about Jacob Hester. Unfortunately, the words "fast", "elusive", and "running-back", were not among the adjectives used to describe him. However, the phrases "he's a good kid" and "a hard worker" were used over and over. Surprise surprise. That game was a Caste-nightmare.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter said:
Did you catch when Bradshaw embarrassed himself, yet again, by stating that he couldn't pass a certain university's entrance exam, because he "just wasn't a good test-taker."

Max Kellerman did the same thing when speaking of Vince Young. He said that he (Max) was smart enough toattend Columbia law school, but would have a hard time understanding an NFL play book which apparently Young is able to do. He endedsaying, "so much for the value of Wonderlic tests." Ha ha, how absurd.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Boomer Esiason heaps man-love on Russell:

JaMarcus Russell -- Oh my, what an arm! I can't remember ever seeing anyone throw the football like this kid. People will confuse him with Vince Young because of his size and athleticism but he's not nearly as mobile. Think of Byron Leftwich, but with a cannon and a terrific quick-release. If you ask me, Russell is on the top of the football world right now and should be in the NFL draft. The sky is the limit for this young man.

Deus Vult

Mentor
Jimmy Chitwood said:
...those are pretty impressive feats, but so is being able to spin a football on its point on your finger. none of which makes a guy a good quarterback. furthermore, they didn't say he could hit his target, just that he could throw it a long way... so what's the point?
smiley36.gif

Notice they do not call JaMarcus "heady" or "cerebral," and do not go so far as to allege he understands defenses -- or offense, for that matter!

G

Deus Vult said:
Jimmy Chitwood said:
...those are pretty impressive feats, but so is being able to spin a football on its point on your finger. none of which makes a guy a good quarterback. furthermore, they didn't say he could hit his target, just that he could throw it a long way... so what's the point?
smiley36.gif

Notice they do not call JaMarcus "heady" or "cerebral," and do not go so far as to allege he understands defenses -- or offense, for that matter!

No they are only saying he might be the number 1 pick in the draft now. What a shame that would be.

white tornado

Mentor
I don't see why everyone is bashing Russel did you guys watch the game.

Notre Dame has a horrific pass defense, its no accomplishment that Russell was able to do well against it. He has also choked in big games before.

white tornado

Mentor
A black athelete has a good game and a thread pops up bashing him. Thats not being objective thats just bashing him because he's black.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
white tornado said:
A black athelete has a good game and a thread pops up bashing him. Thats not being objective thats just bashing him because he's black.

and the problem is......??????

white tornado

Mentor
The problem is that Russel is a good qb. If people want to just come out and say they don't like him because he's black be my guest. I did not think that was the point of this site. But trying to make an argument that he sucks just because he's black is not going to get us anywhere. We should be objectionable.

I bet on black athlete they have similar threads on how Steve Nash really sucks.

Russell is not that great of a QB. He threw 3 interceptions against Florida that basically gave LSU no chance. Against Tennessee he threw 3 TDs but also 3 INTs. His gaudy stats have been piled up against the likes of Louisiana-Lafayette (3 TDs, 0 INTs), a downtrodden Alabama team (3 TDs, 0 INTs), and even two more TDs with no picks against Fresno St. In another major matchup against Auburn, he threw 0 TDs and 0 picks while only completing 57 percent of his passes.

As already mentioned, Notre Dame has a very poor defense, especially against the pass.

The guy is endlessly hyped but just hasn't proven he's worthy of the hype. His defense is superb and the running game is solid, two team strengths that Brady Quinn certainly can't claim to have. Despite the advantages he has, they haven't translated into him going to the 'next level'.Edited by: Sark6354201

Lance Alworth

Mentor
The thing is, he's not a good QB. He's incredibly streaky, he can't read defenses, and he has character issues. In other words, a typical overhyped black QB who despite all the accolades by the media, wont amount to dick in the NFL (see: Vick, Michael, Culpepper, Daunte, Leftwich, Byron)

G

jaxvid said:
white tornado said:

and the problem is......??????

There is no problem ... he just out played the other QB. I heard he asked a white woman to marry him after the game.

Deus Vult

Mentor
white tornado said:

WT, I have watched nearly every game LSU game over the past several years. My opinion of JaMarcus is based on a thorough viewing of his performances.

My objection, if I have have one, is not that he should receive any credit for what he does right. The kid does have some positive attributes. What is being said lately, however, by people who have not observed JaMarcus regularly, but by outsiders who only read his stats and perhaps propaganda put in their hands by the LSU Sports Information office, is ridiculously out of proportion.

JR's stats are full of fluff earned against chump teams. The LSU receiver corps is probably the best in college football, certainly among the fastest. With JR, the entire passing game is short dinks and outs, and long passes to receivers who outrun their defenders by 10 yards (yet still have to wait for the ball).

JaMarcus did not outplay Brady Quinn. LSU outplayed Notre Dame. Quinn has only one go-to receiver, maybe two. LSU features 3 WRs, 2 TEs, and one reliable pass catching back, Jacob Hester. LSU's defense puts the football back into the hands of the LSU offense.

If JaMarcus were the starting QB at Mississippi State, he would not have been selected All-SEC; nor would Miss. State have appeared in a bowl game this past season. He is more the beneficiary of the talent around him than the vice versa.

white tornado

Mentor
I watched a lot of L.S.U. games this year so I could see Jacob Hester, and I thought JaMarcus was a good Q.b. He's not as good as Quinn but still very talented. If this thread came out at draft time because people thought he was way overated I would have no problem with it. Its that he played great game and a thread is made to bash him.

I just trying to keep the site to its purposes of supporting white players, exposing descrimination, and bashing people who realy suck like Vick.