last season, he will be lucky to be the Chiefs' 4th WR this year. He is
still bigger and faster (and more productive) than the black guys he's
competing against, but his season-long injury just put him at the back
of the line again, and Dick Vermeil certainly isn't going to give him
any breaks.

I'd love to be wrong about this, and guys like Brandon Stokley and
Dallas Clark are real favorites of mine, but I think if you look at the
facts you will see that a very high percentage of those few white RBs
and WRs in the NFL have a significant injury history.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't disagree with you, but Schlesinger has been as tough and durable as they come. This is his first significant injury after basically doing nothing but banging linebackers and defensive linemen every play for over a decade. I remember what a good runner he was at Nebraska, with his size and amazing power there's no question he could have been a good NFL runner.

It does amaze me, well actually it doesn't, but it's still disgusting how Boerigter does indeed have to go to the "back of the line." Kansas City has a slew of receivers in camp, and all of them are thought of as potential "sleepers" except Boerigter and Chris Horn and John Booth.

There's no easy solution to this situation. I don't think it'll changemuch until white football players are respected again, meaning when they are developed at every position again starting at the Pop Warner level on up and start becoming much more numerous at the "black only" positions in I-A and the NFL and are no longer ridiculed and hated by both the media and fans.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's no question that the perception of injury prone white players has taken a hit this season (pun intended). This has been a terrible year for injuries,but very few of the hurt players are white, certainly less than their percentage in the league as a whole. Drew Bennett broke a thumb, which was a flukish thing, but other than that the white receivers have stayed healthy and so have most of the whites at other positions. It's been the blacks going down in huge numbers this year, including Caste System demigods Culpepper and McNabb.

G

i had an argument with my brother about this back in 2002. he thought white quarterbacks were weak. i got tired of trying to convince him that all quarterbacks are tough. they take one or two hard, blind hits per game and shrug it off. but i guess it was "obvious" to him that black quarterbacks could take hits better. i honestly can't say i see the evidence.

i don't know why coaches think it's OK for their black quarterbacks to run down the field as a regular play. they stand just as much chance of getting hurt as a white quarterback. i don't think they will ever learn that all quarterbacks should stay in the pocket.