Infusion of White Shortstops

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There are five rookies starting at shortstop this year, and all are white -- Clint Barmes of Colorado, Russ Adams of Toronto, Jason Bartlett of Minnesota, J. J. Hardy of Milwaukee, and Jhonny Peralta of Cleveland. After the outfield, there have traditionally been more hispanics and blacks starting at SS than any other position so this is nice to see.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes it is good to see. That is a pretty big infusion to be sure. Reminds me of the massive infusion of blacks into the NFL after the 60's were over. I'm glad history is repeating itself differently this time.

kevin

Guru
minnesota, oakland, and cleveland have always done a good job of finding younr prospects who grow into high quality players. Lets hope this is the case.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
For sure, Kevin. A few more years like that, with a mass infusion of white talent into the Bigs will make a big difference.

BonnieBlue

Correction: Jhonny Peralta is hispanic. He's from the Dominican Republic. This is getting off the subject, but does anyone have definitve evidence on the racial makeup on two of Peralta's teammates, Grady Sizemore and Travis Hafner? They appear at least half, but not fully white.

whiteCB

Master
Travis Hafner is 110% white and that is a fact. Afterall he is from North Dakota. As for Sizemore I can see what your talking about but as far as whats been said up here in Cleveland he is all white( just has natural curly hair).

Realgeorge

Mentor
I got to watch Jason Bartlett [Twins] on tube the other night, showed off a rocketarm at SS, gunning down several speedy runners who had hit grounders deep in the hole. Shades of Rich Reese (giving away my age)

Mr. Gardenhire the manager is a class act too. Plays his players based on capability not politics

Bear-Arms

Mentor
BonnieBlue said:
Correction: Jhonny Peralta is hispanic. He's from the Dominican Republic. This is getting off the subject, but does anyone have definitve evidence on the racial makeup on two of Peralta's teammates, Grady Sizemore and Travis Hafner? They appear at least half, but not fully white.

Jhonny Peralta is hispanic, but don't forget Americans have a different take on what's white. You can find whites in Mexico, Cuba, and anywhere in Latin America. Just cause you have dark hair/skin don't make you another race. A lot of them are just Spanish/Portuguese decent. If you seen Estaban Loaiza for the first time you wouldnt guess he was from Mexico.