I THOUGHT IT WAS FIXED, DO YOU?

Maple Leaf

Mentor
On the sixth of December I wrote this in the Pascal/Froch thread:

I do not predict on anything but black/white fights as a general rule because I like to rub it in to those who fantasize about black athletic superiority. I have no grudge against Philipinos or Latinos so I the interest is not the same for me. But, since you ask, I will say this: Oscar came in underweight on purpose because he wants people to believe this is not a mismatch. This is a mismatch. Manny is good but he is just a little guy. In the entire length of Oscar's career I do not think he has ever lost to anyone shorter than him and certainly not 4 or 5 inches shorter. In this fight he has all of the advantages: experience, height, weight, power, reach, cut resistence, etc. How is he supposed to lose? Is Manny supposed to dart in and out all night and pepper him to death like Calzaghe? From what I have seen he does not have that skill and he does not have the power to hurt Oscar. Fighting little guys is easy, one does not have to worry about them hurting you. I like your prediction of a mid round knockout as I cannot see anything else but an Oscar win.

After the bout on the seventh of December I wrote this in the Pac/DLH thread:

I had the fight predicted completely the opposite. Now you all know why the richest boxer on the planet is De La Hoya. Not only did he make an outrageous purse, but he promoted his own event, and - now get this - he made on the booking as well. How many betted on Oscar to win? It seemed to be a no brainer and it should have been. But Oscar cares more about money than winning and he let the little guy pepper away at him. There is not way in my opinion that Manny should could have beaten Oscar unless Oscar let him. So, yes, I think the fight was a hoax, a big fix, and De La Hoya walked away with an incredible amount of money. Maybe we would all do the same if we were in his shoes.

Today I read this at another boxing forum:

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

Interview with Brad Cooney

BC: Thanks Oscar for forgiving me regarding the sparring issues and for inviting me here in
your mansion for this interview.

ODLH: That's nothing it was all business anyway (laughs), thanks for helping also in promoting

my fight( dream match).

BC: This interview will be posted to almost 100 popular boxing forums, so it will go directly to your fans and boxing fans. So it is very helpful to clarify some issues, compared to the websites

ODLH: Yah, I know, this is the safest interview also Brad (big Laugh).

BC: Yes of course, because you can easily deny this if there's a negative feedback.

Both laugh!

BC: Oscar I'll go directly to the first issue regarding the betting in the dream match, is it true that you manipulate the betting lines to look the fight more competitive in the news? And you spend $60 million all in all from the start of the betting until the day before the fight? And your company bet Manny everyday using the GBPs petty cash?

ODLH: We don't have a petty cash worth $60million, that's a big amount. And why should I do that?

BC: Promotion purposes to pull Manny from being the underdog and cure the mismatch issue.

ODLH: That's a desperate management, and a suicide decision in any promotional company, I will never spend $60million to sale a fight, that's a very big, amount enough to promote ten big fights. And I need 3million ppv buys to break even the cost. So why should i do that. That's a very wrong strategy in any business.

BC: And that's the reason you choose to lose according to some critics, to get the$60million.

ODHL: I can never do that Brad that is crazy, even in my dreams I can never do that, that issue is a very disrespectful act to Manny's ability and to me of course as a future hall of fame. $60million dollar is a very big amount, but I lost a lot of big opportunities in losing that fight. At this point in my career, I don't need money anymore; I want to cement my legacy as a boxer. That lose is a big shame to my career and can't be paid even a billion dollar, history is more important to me than money. I really affected by that issue.

BC: Ok Oscar, we will go to the fight, the Dream Match; we saw a different Oscar dela Hoya during that fight? Is there any problem in your health that night? Is it because in losing weight? Is it because of your injured left shoulder?

ODLH: To tell you frankly, I don't have any health problem during that night, I am very condition during that fight, very strong and very confident, no weight problem, and no injured left shoulder. It's just that they were more prepared than us.

BC: But why you look sluggish, weak, and very hesitant to punch that night.

ODLH: Honestly Brad that was our game plan.

BC: that you let Manny to punch you?

ODLH: No not at all, because I want the fight to be an action packed. And I really thought that Manny will be running all night and just be contended in punching my body and only try to engage in the later round. If he does that it is more difficult for us to fight him and bad for boxing fans who watched the fight.

BC: So you were surprised the way he fights?

ODLH: Yes! I thought his only target will be my body and no way that he would go directly to
my face especially in early rounds. So our game plan is to make him confident in standing toe to toe with me that's why I didn't used my jab more often. And I feel were effective because I can see him over confident in some occasion early on.

BC: Do you feel his punches?

ODLH: In round 1 I feel that I can handle his punches, but in later part of round 2 his left straight already bothering me and it seems that I can't stop it. So I decided to use my jab in early part of round 3 to keep him at bay. And I can feel that he is hurt, and become tentative in going in, so im afraid that he will not engage anymore and shift to running mode, it will be more difficult for me to knock him out if he is in running mode. So I go back to our game plan not to jab more often, for him to go inside with confidence.

BC: So you are planning to knock him out?

ODLH: Yes of course! We have two options in that fight, if I can't knock him inside round 5, I will already use my left jab starting in round 6 to neutralise his speed.

BC: So what went wrong to the first option?

ODLH: I am confident that I can knock him out with my right hand with one punch, so we are planning to catch him in round 4. But I'm surprised the way he reacted my punches, I hit him with very strong right hand but it was just nothing to him, I cornered him in some part of the round but his counters were very strong, from that moment I worried about the fight. I even hit him with big left hooks in round 5 but he is still standing as if nothings happen, is very durable.

BC: But why you didn't shift to plan B in round 6.

ODLH: I tried, early part In round six I tried to use my jabs, but they prepared my left jab so much, they have a wonderful game plan in my left jab, they know that I can win a fight with my left jab alone. Every time I throw a jab they countered with hard body shots and it affects me so much. From that round I already know that my only chances will be a haymaker. But it didn't happen.

BC: It seems that you mentioned it's Nachos fault.

ODLH: Nope its not that, it was our fault, I am part of the team and I am also part of the strategy, its not the fault of one person but the team.

BC: How would you rate Manny's power?

ODLH: He is very strong; he has a legitimate welter power.

BC: Of all, your past opponent, where is Manny belongs in terms power? There were only two fighters who stopped you, are he belongs to the top two?

ODLH: I guess he stopped me to the way he fights, his power is just part of it, he is the most skilful and smartest boxer I ever faced; you will never know how great Manny is until you fight him.

BC: So where did he belong?

ODLH: Maybe number 6 or 7, but he is above to Felix Sturm, Ike Quartey, and way ahead to Mayweather in terms of skills and power.

BC: Mayweather and Manny, are top Pound for Pound fighter, how would you compare these two fighters?

ODLH: If you want to fight a real boxing match like roman gladiators fight Manny, If you want a marathon race, choose Mayweather, he loves to run, He is the safest opponent I ever faced.

BC: So what are your future plans? Is Chavez fight, your last?

ODLH: It will depend on the result of the bout, I don't want to end my career in losing mode. I want also to avenge my defeat to Manny.

BC: So a rematch possible?

ODLH: yup! I have one year to decide regarding that based on the contract, but at this moment we are finalizing a Chavez fight and concentrate on this one. This is a big and intriguing fight because we have a bad blood to his father and I hope you will support this bout. We have also great big fights this year, starting with margarito and mosley, diaz-marquez and many more hope you support these bout and all other fight. Let's support the sport of boxing!

P-NutLane

Guru
I think a little guy jstsimply beat up a bigger guy.
smiley32.gif
But you make some VERY respectable points. Got me thinking.