"Hurricane" Irene...the Apocalypse That Never Was

werewolf

Hall of Famer
But the government was right on the job after Katrina, immediately helping out - helping out the criminals that is, by disarming the honest people so they could be preyed upon by the violent criminals as well as the hurricane.

Pretty funny the way the politicians ordered New Yorkers to evacuate and then shut down public transportation, since most New Yorkers don't have cars, and then the bridges and tunnels were going to be shut down anyway, and where would they go - to some black hellhole of a shelter so they could get raped and robbed in the bargain?

The "lords and masters", of course, didn't have that problem. They left by private helicopter.

foobar75

Master
I knew from the get-go that the coverage was way overblown. Just another way to distract the sheeple from all the real issues, while devoting half the week, non-stop, to this so-called "100-year" flood or storm, or however they hyped it

Westside

Hall of Famer
But the government was right on the job after Katrina, immediately helping out - helping out the criminals that is, by disarming the honest people so they could be preyed upon by the violent criminals as well as the hurricane.

Pretty funny the way the politicians ordered New Yorkers to evacuate and then shut down public transportation, since most New Yorkers don't have cars, and then the bridges and tunnels were going to be shut down anyway, and where would they go - to some black hellhole of a shelter so they could get raped and robbed in the bargain?

The "lords and masters", of course, didn't have that problem. They left by private helicopter.

I was hoping for another "Your doing a heck of a job, Brownie" moment, while the subway filled with water and the drones descended into Madison Square Garden to be defected on, robbed, raped and told, "the reason your in a s**t hole, in the words of that scholar Kanye West, George Bush....Obama doesn't like people." LOL

The only reason this storm was a story was that it actually impacted NYC. If it had traveled East to West or east to NW as usual it would not have been a story.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The only reason this storm was a story was that it actually impacted NYC. If it had traveled East to West or east to NW as usual it would not have been a story.

Good point. Southerners are used to getting these storms and often getting ignored by the media (ex. Mississippi after Katrina). The NE gets plenty of attention with almost everything that happens up there. Maybe it is the high population density that has something to do with it. This storm was way overblown by the media though. You'd think we were on the verge of complete annihilation the way they were talking. It didn't bring NW Georgia any rain and we need it, bad!

'sup bro?

my wife is from a small ski town outside of catskill ny. her one road town next to a crick is nearly wiped off the map from dams overflowing and causing the creek to rise and destroy everything in it's path from the rain this past week. it's a total mess. her parents are staying with us, but are leaving for home tomorrow with our generator. power is going to be out for at least a week.

the house my wife grew up in was sold to a couple many years ago that are now retired. the wife is on a breather and heart medication and was very sick. when the water began to rise, the husband became concerned and decided to call for help. he stepped outside on his driveway to make a call from his cell phone, turned around, and watched his house get carried away by the current with his wife inside. when the house finally came to rest, it took a team of volunteer firemen to break through the debris and enter the house. unfortunately, his wife did not survive.

this post was not intended to invalidate the OP. the point is certainly worth discussion.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
The problem is that any kind of crisis is an opening for government and it's associated arm- the media, to increase power and dependency. They absolutely LOVE crisis's, and if they can't find them they make them up or inflate a lesser event into a greater one. They tried to do that with the recent earthquake out east but even that was too lame. They would not pass up the opportunity to milk a serious storm for all it's worth.

Bronk

Mentor
As a resident of the Houston-area, raised on the Texas Gulf Coast and a veteran of a number of storms, I scoffed and raged at the overblown coverage of this pissant hurricane. This was Eastern/yankee self-absorption run to a stinking level.

Incidentally, the subject was taken up on Bill O'Reilly tonight and Bernie Goldberg noted that if a stronger hurricane was churning toward Biloxi, Mississippi, it would not have received the same degree of coverage -- not because Biloxi has less population but because it's BILOXI.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
As a resident of the Houston-area, raised on the Texas Gulf Coast and a veteran of a number of storms, I scoffed and raged at the overblown coverage of this pissant hurricane. This was Eastern/yankee self-absorption run to a stinking level.

Incidentally, the subject was taken up on Bill O'Reilly tonight and Bernie Goldberg noted that if a stronger hurricane was churning toward Biloxi, Mississippi, it would not have received the same degree of coverage -- not because Biloxi has less population but because it's BILOXI.

I agree with that point, Bronk. I was being a little facetious above, as I'm sure it had a lot to do with the location. I've observed this clear bias my whole life.

sup bro, it is always tough to hear about someone losing their life. No doubt lots of people were affected by the storm, just nowhere near as many as the media led us to believe.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I live about 10 miles west of NYC. I was telling everyone the reports were overblown from the beginning. We never get hurricanes here and by the time it hit us it was a tropical storm. The damage from wind was very minimal. That being said, we had a ton of flooding in the North Jersey area though it looks puny compared to Katrina and other natural disasters.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Well it doesn't look so good. The Passaic River is expected to crest at 9pm here tonight. Quite a few people from town have been evacuated. I'm further away from the river so hopefully no flooding here.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
The problem is that any kind of crisis is an opening for government and it's associated arm- the media, to increase power and dependency. They absolutely LOVE crisis's, and if they can't find them they make them up or inflate a lesser event into a greater one. They tried to do that with the recent earthquake out east but even that was too lame. They would not pass up the opportunity to milk a serious storm for all it's worth.

Well stated. The fedgov & their state level pawns take any means to "legitimize" their never ending self empowerment.