HOF Vets cmte shutout again

foreverfree

Mentor
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/hof07/news/story?id=2781628

Ron Santo came closest to election, 69.5%.

With the passion for enshrining everybody from Santo to Hodges to, yes, Minoso and O'Neil, I'm surprised nobody has taken the HOF to court to bring it about. I imagine the forces for Phil Rizzuto might have done so by now if the Scooter were still outside Cooperstown's garage. What case might they have?
smiley4.gif

I find it interesting that Marvin Miller received 63%.

Discuss.

John

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I think Ron Santo belongs in the Hall. He was one of the best offensive 3rd baseman of his generation (maybe the best). He played in a pitchers era and compiled some good stats. Players should be judged by the position and era that they played in.

I know he's not popular but Jim Rice belongs in the Hall. He was probably the most dangerous hitter in the AL for a number of years. I really don't understand why he is not in. He played in Boston, he had some good numbers, and he is black. He must have been a real a-hole not to get voted in by now.

I also don't understand why Santo isn't in. He was popular and played in Chicago which has two pro teams. No one would really complain if he got in. I hope he does someday.

I don't think Bert Blyleven is in either. He deserves it. Best curveball pitcher maybe ever. The Hall would not be "cheapened" (anymore then it is by Negro Leaguers) by any of these guys.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Abolish the Veterans Committee. It's a joke that served out its original purpose decades ago. If a player doesn't get in the first time around, when those writers who covered his career are voting and he gets 15 chances to be elected, why the hell should he get in later? The only conceivable purpose the Veterans Committee serves is to judge non-players like Marvin Miller, owners, umpires, etc., but the solution to thatis to let the baseball writers vote onnon-players along with the players.

Bart

Hall of Famer
If Ron Santo was black, he would have been voted into the HOF years ago. Hell, Buck O'Neil never played a single game or managed an inning in MLB or the Negro Leagues and he had as much support from the muckety mucks as did Santo. The white man -owns- the position of third base.For that reason alone, they must be minimized. I found an interesting paragraph from a sports site:

Part of the reason Santo has been left out of the Hall of Fame is that the BBWAA has never quite figured out what to do with third basemen. They are historically underrepresented, and the change in the position over time has made it difficult to establish standards for what makes a Hall of Fame third baseman.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Abolish the Veterans Committee.  It's a joke that served out its original purpose decades ago.  If a player doesn't get in the first time around, when those writers who covered his career are voting and he gets 15 chances to be elected, why the hell should he get in later?  The only conceivable purpose the Veterans Committee serves is to judge non-players like Marvin Miller, owners, umpires, etc., but the solution to that is to let the baseball writers vote on non-players along with the players. 

It didn't serve it's purpose, which is to reward old friends, well placed members, and worship the god of diversity. The Vet's committee is a joke. But that is the whole point. In a society where merit is looked down upon how can you expect anything else? Besides when reporters don't vote in the greatest power hitter in the history of the game (or the guy with the most hits) maybe you need a committee of last resort.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Veterans Committeewas set up originally to analyze the careers of guys who played in the 19th century and early 20th century, as the Hall of Fame wasn't established until the mid-1930s, and decide which of those early players deserved enshrinement. All that other crap came later, as like any and all bureaucracies the Veterans Committee thought up ways to perpetuate itself.

I just don't see the point of giving a player a second chance when he's already had up to 15 years to be recognized as HOF worthy. It's not a second chance, it's a 16th chance. There's always going to be close calls like Santo and Kaat. They were judged annually for many years and came up short. I remember them fondly from my youth as a baseball fanatic, but sorry, their eligibility should be over at that point.

Bill Mazeroski got in through the Veterans Committee a few years ago. It was a great feel-good story around these parts, as Maz is a truly modest, working class man who never left his roots or his root values. But to me, he shouldn't have been elected to the Hall that way. He was a great fielder, and hit one of the most famous home runs ever, but he was judged to be a little too lightas a hitterby the writers who covered his career. Should have been the end of the story as far as I'm concerned.

Bart

Hall of Famer
I just checked the list of HOF third basemen.Of 13 inductees only - 3 - are black. I should add that the three played in the bullsh*t Negro Leagues - not MLB. What a joke!!