High school hockey

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I was watching the pre-game to last weeks hockey game and there was a story about black hockey players in high school. I guess high schools in the Chicago area are going out of there way to encourage black kids to play the sport. Obviously black kids see this as a huge opportunity to play the sport. But guess who gets to sit on the bench?

The black kid interviewed said he could never play because of equipment costs. Well I bet a lot of kids can't afford it either but their parents worked for it.

I was really mad after watching it, not because black kids are playing the sport, but because they're just handed it.

Bear-Arms said:
I was watching the pre-game to last weeks hockey game and there was a story about black hockey players in high school. I guess high schools in the Chicago area are going out of there way to encourage black kids to play the sport. Obviously black kids see this as a huge opportunity to play the sport. But guess who gets to sit on the bench?

The black kid interviewed said he could never play because of equipment costs. Well I bet a lot of kids can't afford it either but their parents worked for it.

I was really mad after watching it, not because black kids are playing the sport, but because they're just handed it.

As both a hockey player and a product of an urban environment, I am more irritated than anyone. I did not grow up rich by any means, but it was my parents who spent their own hard-earned money for my equipment, tryouts fees, and travel-hockey team fees. They cared enough to be so involved in my life, that they wanted to spend much of their time and money on my hockey career, because they realized that playing the game made me happy.

Bear-Arms, you played the game, you know how it is. Hockey, at the youth level, is a game of parental-involvment. Parents pay for the ice-time and equipment is expensive, therefore, hockey by nature is NOT a "handout sport".

This is why I get so angry at crap like this. If black parents don't care enough to get involved in their kids lives, then why go that extra step? Blacks hate hockey, so why try to funnel them into a sport that they have no business playing, and run the risk of taking a roster spot away from some White kid who worked hard for it. As a youth, I played against the occasional black hockey player. As far as "natural hockey talent" goes, to be honest, the City of Chicago is wasting their money with this program, if they think they're going to find the next "Tiger Woods of Hockey". lol. Edited by: Ground Fighter