Herschel Walker’s Many Faces

A few days ago, I was in a Border's store and glanced at Herschel Walker's new book, "Breaking Free." Walker reveals that he has a form of mental illness called dissociative identity disorder, or DID, formerly known as multiple personality disorder. However, this is only in the last chapter. Most of the book is a standard sports autobiography.

Walker tells of dating, and marrying, Cindy DeAngelis. She was of Brooklyn Italian extraction, though her family was then living in upscale New Jersey. She was on the Georgia Women's track team. Herschel tells us that her parents were very upset that she was dating a black man. Cindy did not speak to her parents for over a year. Eventually, they somewhat accepted it after reading in the press what a great guy Herschel Walker was. Herschel does not say so directly, but you get the impression that Cindy's parents never did like the marriage.

You can find several recent interviews with Herschel and his now ex-wife on the web. They divorced in 2001 and she remarried. She is now Cindy Grossman.

Walker did not have trouble with DID until he left football. Then he started having "alters," and "couldn't cope."

Cindy Grossman said that after Walker learned he had DID, things got worse. His eyes would get "evil." She said that Walker held a gun to her head a handful of times. He also threatened her with knives (think that scenario through). Another time he threatened her with a straight razor.

Herschel says that he doesn't remember this. Herschel's father sid that he never saw any sign of the problem. Vince Dooley, Herschel's favorite coach, saw nothing wrong. Walker's friends didn't see it. Cindy Grossman said that nothing seemed wrong until after Walker left football.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Herschel always seemed a little weird to me and had a offbeat personality. He never seemed violent though. But the post above is one more example of bad behaviour, that you get a free pass for because of a mental illness you claim to have. Not buying it.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Yet another example of successful black athletes setting their sights on white women--as a status symbol or to "teach whitey a lesson"--, marrying them, and then threatening them.

Shows also that they can't cope with the normal life of raising a healthy loving family. As long as football is center stage and the trophy wife and the kids are in the background, he can function. 8 years later the spotlight is off him and he can't handle that. What? I'm no longer on TV? In SI? I have to focus on my wife and kids? I'm just another moderately wealthy ex-jock ?

Solomon Kane

Mentor
The result of this marriage just proves once again how right the instincts of the white parents prove to be in these situations. After the initial glow of marrying a famous Heisman trophy winner and a "cool" black athlete fades, what are you left with? A doomed relationship with yet another selfish, socially disfuntional, spoiled, and unethical black jerk.

johnnyboy

Guru
Solomon Kane said:
The result of this marriage just proves once again how right the instincts of the white parents prove to be in these situations. After the initial glow of marrying a famous Heisman trophy winner and a "cool" black athlete fades, what are you left with? A doomed relationship with yet another selfish, socially disfuntional, spoiled, and unethical black jerk.

i think "jersey chasers" are idiots but i think in the long run (100 years) they will be responsible for the csignificant weakening of the black race in terms of athletic predisposition. think about, most superstar black athletes marry white girls. then they have half white kids. chances are their half white sons will end up with a white girl too bc after all, dad did it why can't they(plus if dad's money pays for college or they too play pro sports the chances of them going white increase almost exponentially). now the grandsons come and theyre only a quarter black and probably look more italian than black...so chances are they'll do as their dads and grandads did and go white too...now come the great grandsons and they'll be only an eighth black. can't even tell that apart from most whites. what does that mean? in only a couple of generations, you see the end of a particular black super jock's bloodline. in the short run the black jock gets to have a white girl, but in the long run, he has to "sacrifice" his descendants' race for some dumb white girl who's probably fat and has low self esteeem or is just money hungry.... who's the real winner in that trade off??