Hall of Famer George Kell dies

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
For many years as a kid I listened to George Kell announce games for the Detroit Tigers. His southern drawl and easy going manner was legendary in my neighborhood, even the local rock station which had a guy that did impersonations of local figures did a respectful "George Swell".

He lived in the same house his whole life, same small town with the same wife. Played great baseball, only struck out 10 times one season, which is a week's worth of K's for most players nowadays. As these great men from the past leave us it serves as a reminder of what the game has become and the people that play it. RIP George Kell.

kell.jpg

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. - George Kell, the Hall of Fame third baseman who edged Ted Williams for the 1949 American League batting title and became a Detroit Tigers broadcaster for nearly 40 years, died Tuesday. He was 86.

Jackson's Funeral Home in Newport confirmed the death but did not give a cause. The Hall of Fame said he died in his sleep at his home in Swifton. Kell was severely injured in a car crash in 2004 but was able to walk with a cane about six months later.

Kell outlasted Williams for the 1949 batting crown, hitting .34291 while the Boston Red Sox great finished at .34276. Kell played 15 seasons in the AL, hitting more than .300 nine times and compiling a career average of .306. He was a 10-time All-Star.

"There's no one who loved and respected the game more than George," Hall of Fame president Jeff Idelson said. "Not only was he one of baseball's true legends, but he was a fan, too. He loved coming to Cooperstown and sharing in the camaraderie with his Hall of Fame family."

Kell played from 1943-1957 with the Philadelphia Athletics, Detroit Tigers, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox and Baltimore Orioles. He batted over .300 each year from 1946-53.

After he retired, Kell broadcast Tigers games from 1959 to 1996 â€â€￾ every year except 1964. Longtime Tigers broadcaster Ernie Harwell and Kell became close friends while working together in TV and on radio.

"He had a very laid-back style," Harwell told WWJ-AM in Detroit on Tuesday. "He was easygoing and an expert on the game. He brought the field to the booth because he played and played well. He had a conversational style that people took to."

Kell grew up in Swifton and lived in the same house from his birth to when it burned down in 2001, then was rebuilt on the same land.

Kell played for the Tigers when he and Williams waged one of the closest batting races in baseball history.

"I beat him out, but not many people beat him out," Kell said years later. "That's why it was so fascinating. But it happened."

Kell was always proud of the way it happened. Cleveland pitched Bob Lemon in the finale against Detroit, then brought in future Hall of Famer Bob Feller in relief. Kell was in the on-deck circle in the ninth.

"The manager said he wanted to send a pinch-hitter in for me, but I said, 'I'm not going to sit on a stool and win the batting title,'" Kell told The Associated Press. "What Feller was doing in there in relief on the last day of the season I'll never know. They should have been trying some minor league prospect in there."

The final out was made before Kell had to hit, preserving his slim margin over Williams.

Kell reached the majors in 1943 and hit .268 in 1944, his first full season. He went from Philadelphia to Detroit in 1946. A's manager Connie Mack called Kell to his hotel suite and told him he had been traded to the Tigers.

"Mr. Mack said, 'It's going to be the greatest break you've ever had,'" Kell recalled.

Kell hit .325 in 826 games for the Tigers.

Kell had a unique arrangement to stay in Swifton year-round while broadcasting for the Tigers. He kept an apartment in Little Rock so he could catch flights to ballgames.

"I don't know anybody else who lives 1,000 miles away from their job and gets to commute back and forth," Kell said with a laugh. "The owner said, 'You can live in your beloved Swifton, but don't you dare miss a game.' I had a few close calls, but I didn't miss any."

I remember George Kell from the 1968 World Series. He was an announcer with Curt Gowdy for the 3 games that were played in Tiger Stadium. Harry Caray paired with Gowdy for the games in St. Louis. That was how the announcers for World Series TV games were chosen in that era, a home town announcer went with the games played in that city.