Guillen calls another sport writer a gay

Bear-Arms

Mentor
CHICAGO - Outspoken Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen apologized Wednesday for using a derogatory term in referring to Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti, then kept up his criticism of the writer.

Guillen went into a profanity-laced tirade against Mariotti before Tuesday night's game against St. Louis and called him a number of names, including a derogatory term that is often used to describe someone's sexual orientation.

Before Wednesday night's game, Guillen acknowledged that his use of the word might have offended some.

"I shouldn't have mentioned the name that was mentioned, but I'm not going to back off of Jay," Guillen said, using another profanity to describe Mariotti.

The word I used, I should have used something different. A lot of people's feelings were hurt and I didn't mean it that way."

Guillen said he had spoken to White Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf about the incident.

"Jay, I think I made this guy a lot of money and he's famous. If not for Ozzie Guillen, no one would have heard of him," Guillen said. "If I hurt anybody with what I called him, I apologize."

Mariotti, who appears on the ESPN show "Around the Horn," said his Thursday column will call for Guillen to be suspended.

"I'm a big guy. I have to accept the criticism," Mariotti said in a phone interview Wednesday night. "I'm appalled that he can use these ugly slurs and think it's an acceptable form of retaliation in American life. It's not."

Mariotti recently was critical of Guillen's handling of rookie pitcher Sean Tracey. Tracey could be seen distraught in the dugout last week in Texas after Guillen became angry when the White Sox didn't retaliate for catcher A.J. Pierzynski twice being hit with pitches. Tracey was later demoted to the minors.

Guillen was also angry after Mariotti called for Cubs manager Dusty Baker to be fired and replaced by TV broadcaster Bob Brenly.

Guillen was asked Wednesday if he would be open to taking some sensitivity training considering his recent comments.

"I've been here for 20 years, but people have to know that I grew up in a different country. That's not an excuse. I called the guy that name, but, no, that's the way I grew up, that's the way I've learned that language," he said.

"I don't have an excuse to say that, I have been here enough to know you can use so many words in the States. That's not an excuse, but I wasn't calling people that. I was calling him that."

Guillen, who led the White Sox to their first
World Series title in 88 years last season, has gotten into trouble several times with his comments.

In spring training this year, he apologized to Alex Rodriguez for comments he made in a Sports Illustrated article in which he criticized the Yankees star for waffling on his choice of countries for the World Baseball Classic.

In his first season he called umpire Hunter Wendelstedt a liar. Later in the season, he sarcastically referred to Buck Showalter of the Rangers as the best manager in the history of baseball and the guy who invented the game â€â€￾ all after Showalter questioned Guillen's knowledge of the rules.

Guillen also went off on a profanity-filled tirade last season against former teammate and fellow Venezuelan Magglio Ordonez, who left the White Sox and joined the
Detroit Tigers.

whiteCB

Master
I love this guy becuase Mariotti is indeed a ****. You'd know what I mean if you ever put yourself through the misery of watching "Around the Horn".

JD074

Master
This country is so pathetic. Why does someone have to apologize for saying f*g? (Ironically, I ask this while replacing the "a" with an asterisk!)

And by the way, Mariotti wrote that he wasn't going to go into the clubhouse any more because of this. So maybe he's not a f*g, but he sure is a p*ssy!!
smiley36.gif

G

Do you guys remember John Rocker and the media outcry over his comments and how he essentially became blacklisted from the MLB. All Guillien gets is a slap on the wrist and he is on tv laughing about it while Rocker had to constantly defend himself. Such a racial double standard.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The System's answer to Guillen's blasphemy is to have him attend "sensitivity training," two words that ought to make anyone seethe who actually believes that this is supposed to be a land of freedom rather than totalitarian indoctrination.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2498795

My impression of Guillen is that he is probably a La Raza type who doesn't particularly like whites or the U.S. for that matter -- but I'll still take him any day over the endless number of interchangeable white "males" who profit from the System by always saying the right thing and never ever ever saying anything that could be construed as criticism of homosexuals, feminists, blacks, Jews or anything else that has been deemed inappropriate. Guillen hasn't yet been emasculated -- but give the System time.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I'm unsure what to think of Guillen. Last year he complained about the lack of young Latin players in the farm system, so the White Sox started a farm system in Venezuela this year. But Kenny Williams has done a pretty good job at trading most of young Latin players in the White Sox minor league system.

Guillen praises Thome and Konerko more than any players on the team, if you can understand his broken English. But I give Guillen props for being really patient with Brian Anderson. You wouldn't see many white managers keeping a young guy like him around when he's batting below 200. Although Anderson has lost some time to Rob Mackowiak, actually they're being platooned, but he still gets at bats.

Oh yeah, Guillen got his US citizenship months before spring training, which struck me as kind of weird, because he took the championship trophy to Venezuela just months before that.

C Darwin

Mentor
I believe that any support of Guillen is in support of the caste
system. This statement was not an attack on homosexuals, but an
attack on a white male using derogatory remarks. If all things were
equal, I would have no problem with this. As we are all aware of,
things are not equal and Mariotti will never be permitted to give a
rebutte or honest assessment of Guillen's conduct. Also, it is my
opinion that Guillen is getting off easy, in part, because he is a
minority in the USA.

Just like all of the op/ed ESPN journalists, Mariotti is a supporter of
the system that won't permit him to defend himself (if he even
could).

I further believe in the most severe punishments for people in these
most privileged positions. Guillen manages a baseball team. Due to
the resources at his disposal, I will never believe that this is a tough
job. My argument is why put up with any of this BS when so many
others have the same ability. I want Guillen's head on a platter.

Deacon

Guru
Ozzie regularly sticks up for his White players. Just as the case last week when AJ was beaned twice by the Rangers' pitchers, Ozzie ordered his White Sox pitcher to hit a Ranger batter in retaliation. But I do say if Ozzie were White he'd probably be fired for uttering the f word.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
John Rocker chimes in to defend Guillen. Good to see Rocker hasn't totally lost his backbone after what he's been put through by the guardians of totalitarian thought control:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2499926
<H1>Report: Rocker calls sensitivity training a 'farce'</H1>

Ozzie Guillen was ordered to attend sensitivity training for a homophobic slur he made about Chicago Sun-Times columnist Jay Mariotti. According to John Rocker, Guillen won't get anything out of it.

When Rocker was ordered to attend similar training after the former Braves reliever made offensive remarks in a Sports Illustrated story published in 1999, he left shortly after showing up, he told the Chicago Tribune.

"The guy told me when I got there I had to show up to make it look good for people, so after about 15 minutes I left and walked right out of the room and it satisfied the powers that be," Rocker told the newspaper.

Rocker was a teammate of Guillen's with the Atlanta Braves in 1998-99 and said he considers Guillen a friend. He defended Guillen's right to speak his mind.

"This is a free country. If he wants to use a lewd term, he should be able to use a lewd term," Rocker told the newspaper. "Can't you use a lewd term in America if you want?"

Guillen also was fined an undisclosed amount of money for his profanity-laced tirade against Mariotti.

On Friday, Guillen ruffled more feathers when he said he did not actually expect to attend the sensitivity training class.

"I don't think I'll be going, I don't think that'll happen," Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com in an interview at U.S. Cellular Field. The interview was conducted in Spanish.

"I think the commissioner ordered that in order to calm things down, but, obviously, to attend one of those, I'll have to take English lessons first," he added. "I'll do what I have to do, at least when I have time, but I don't think I'll take those sensitivity lessons."

A few minutes after leaving the interview room, Guillen said through a team spokesman that he would undergo the training.

Rocker was banned from baseball until May 1 by commissioner Bud Selig, who also imposed a $20,000 fine and ordered Rocker to attend sensitivity training for the remarks he made to Sports Illustrated, but an arbitrator reduced the suspension to the first two weeks of the season, cut the fine to $500 and allowed Rocker to report to spring training on March 2.

In the SI article, John Rocker said he would never play for a New York team because he didn't want to ride a train "next to some queer with AIDS". He also bashed immigrants, saying "How the hell did they get in this country?" He also called a black teammate a "fat monkey," spit on a toll machine and mocked Asian women.

"It was a farce, a way for the scared little man, Bud Selig, to get people off his [backside]," Rocker, speaking to the Tribune, said of the sensitivity training.

He also told the newspaper that he didn't pay any of the fine levied against him by Selig. Rocker was fined $20,000 for his comments, but that was reduced to $500 after appeal.

"I never paid a cent, a lot of players never pay a cent," Rocker told the newspaper. "It's just a front to look good and the way Selig cowers to pressure."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

JD074

Master
C Darwin said:
I believe that any support of Guillen is in support of the caste
system. This statement was not an attack on homosexuals, but an
attack on a white male using derogatory remarks.

Most sports reporters shouldn't be categorized as "white males."
smiley36.gif

C Darwin said:
Just like all of the op/ed ESPN journalists, Mariotti is a supporter of
the system that won't permit him to defend himself (if he even
could).

He is defending himself, by not going into the clubhouse anymore!!!
smiley17.gif

But like you said, he's a "supporter of the system." We can't feel any loyalty towards that kind of "white" person. They're the enemy.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Guillen's privileged status as one of the system's pet "minorities" ended the instant he offended the very narrow boundaries of PC. All NFL rookies are now being lectured to on "diversity" by a homosexual former NFL player. "Diversity" of course means enforced homogenization of thought, with all dissenters, whether intentional or not, publicly humiliated and punished.
<H1>Openly gay ex-player talks to NFL rookies on diversity</H1>

As part of this week's 10th annual rookie symposium, an event aimed at preparing draft choices for life in the NFL on and off the field, the league arranged for experts in and out the game to address young players on issues ranging from financial planning to social relationships to dealing with the media.

And, for the first time ever, on what it is like to be a gay man playing professional football.

Former defensive tackle Esera Tuaolo, who in 2002, three years after his retirement from the NFL, revealed that he is gay, was part of the panel in Monday evening's discussion with rookies highlighting diversity in the league. The diversity segments of the program, with the 255 choices from this year's draft divided into four groups, lasted 30 minutes.

League vice president of player and employee development Mike Haynes hopes the message delivered by Tuaolo and others resonates much longer.

"When I took the job four years ago," Haynes said Tuesday, "one of the things I wanted to really stress was tolerance. And that takes on a lot of forms, from tolerating the kind of music that's maybe being played in the locker room, to the way a guy dresses, or even what part of the country he is from. And so this was just a natural step in the evolution."

Haynes' goal, he said, wasn't so much to have Tuaolo discuss being gay as to deal with the more general themes of diversity of tolerance. But given the attention that Tuaolo has received since his 2002 revelation, the issue, naturally, was raised. As has been the case in his public discussions on the matter, and in his new book, Tuaolo spoke candidly. And, Haynes said, the rookie audiences listened attentively.

Tuaolo, who played for five different teams in nine seasons and who retired after the 1999 campaign, could not be immediately reached for comment.

"I think a lot of guys were shocked at what [Tuaolo] had to tolerate at times," Haynes said during a break in the symposium, which is being held near San Diego. "This went way beyond our normal 'well, we're an equal opportunity employer' discussion of diversity that we might have had in the past. Esera was great. He talked, for instance, about the kind of language that might be used in the locker room and about how, no matter the intent, it could be hurtful to some people. He made some terrific points."

Tuaolo, 37, a few years ago addressed league officials on the subjects of diversity and tolerance and, in a subsequent meeting, Haynes asked if the former defensive tackle would be interested at some juncture in being a part of the rookie symposium. This year, Tuaolo's schedule permitted him to appear.

The timing was only coincidental but, coming in the wake of remarks made last week by Chicago White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen, the appearance of Tuaolo was particularly pertinent.

"I think it does make it a more timely issue," Haynes said. "I don't want to speak for baseball, but what happened [with Guillen] probably demonstrates that we all still have some work to be done in terms of the tolerance issue in general. Hopefully, with Esera being here, our league took another step forward."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2501916

white tornado

Mentor
Jay Mariotti is gay ha ha.
smiley36.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Duncan: Guillen hurts Latinos

By Dave van Dyck
Tribune staff reporter
Published June 26, 2006

Los Angeles Dodgers first-base coach Mariano Duncan said Ozzie Guillen may be hurting Latino coaches with his recent controversial comments, and Guillen told Duncan to mind his own business.

"Think before you talk, or you can really hurt yourself and hurt a lot of other people," Duncan, a first-year coach with the Dodgers, told the Los Angeles Times. "He's opened so many doors to Latino coaches. Now he's in a position where people are listening to him. But he's throwing everything away by the way he's behaving.

"He embarrassed every Latino player, coach and front-office person. Ozzie is a hero in his country [Venezuela] and a hero in my country [Dominican Republic]. We are here in America, where you can speak freely. But you don't say everything that comes to your mind. He has to learn to slow down a little bit. You have to learn how to close your mouth.

"Baseball needs people like Ozzie Guillen. He motivates people. He's a smart guy. But he's got to be smarter than that."

Guillen took offense to the notion that he's hurting the chances of other Latinos.

"Mariano Duncan never will be a big-league manager and not because I ruined it for him, [but] because if Mariano Duncan thinks being a manager is making out the lineup and changing pitchers, he is real wrong," Guillen said.

"I opened a lot of doors for Latino managers, a lot, because of the way I am, things that happened in my career as a player, coach and manager.

"I think Mariano Duncan should be the last person that should have an opinion about it, because maybe that will be an excuse for him if he doesn't make it [as] a big-league manager."

bigunreal

Mentor
There are no heroes in this story. Jay Mariotti is a typical, white-hating jock sniffer masquerading as a journalist. He deserves no sympathy from anyone, and will learn no lesson from this bout with the p.c. world., and how unequally the penalties are doled out by those who police it. Ozzie Guillen has always been a first-class jerk. As a player, he was surly and arrogant and wore his "hispanic" heritage on his sleeve. As a manager, he is still surly and arrogant and, like most blacks and hispanics in positions of authority, does not accept that the rules of conduct for white authority figures apply to him in the nightmare that is Don King's America. While we may admire his refusal to back down, this is only due to his ignorant "hispanic" macho personna, not because he's just a frank and honest guy. Calling someone "gay" when you disagree with them is tantamount to calling them
"retard" in our collapsing society. Both epithets are popular with middle school students, and while only the lowest class of adults once used them, now they are becoming a common way of "debating" an opponent by allegedly educated adults of all races. They are very popular terms, especially "retard," on virtually every "shock jock"-like radio show. Guillen is also typical in that, despite playing Major League baseball and then managing a team for many years, he still speaks with the "hispanic" heavy accent. If he has kids, I would bet they too speak with this less than charming accent. Sandy Alomar is a great example of this refusal by hispanics to assimilate; he played in the major leagues in the '60s, but despite providing an upper class standard of living to his sons, both Sandy, Jr. and Roberto speak with the same heavy accent. No other immigrant group does this. Any second-generation Asian or Middle Eastern kid who grows up in America speaks English as well as any white kid (and better than too many black kids). Sorry for the rant- but I just find Guillen to be a thoroughly obnoxious, objectionable character.

jcolec02

Mentor
hey guys....I love Ozzie Guillen cuz he is one guy not only in the sports world but in modern society in general that speaks his mind and doesnt care about the consequences...not to mention who he is going to start on the all star team....Jim Thome...Mark Buerle...paul konerko...bobby jenks....and he is trying to get joe crede in there as well....plus he talks like scarface....HA!
smiley17.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Joe Crede got snubbed...there was a huge article about it in the Chicago Tribune.

Crede just can't catch break
Low-key White Sox third baseman left off his own manager's All-Star squad despite stellar season, writes Phil Rogers

Published July 3, 2006

In a way, it was no surprise that Joe Crede was quietly walking out of the White Sox clubhouse Sunday at the same time reporters were starting to look for him. The guy has made a great career of thriving out of the spotlight.

But this time around, he should have been the news. It was a nice story that six Sox players had been named to accompany Ozzie Guillen and his coaching staff to the All-Star Game, yet there was a hollow feeling because of the guy who had been overlooked.

Crede, again.

Next to perhaps Paul Konerko and Mark Buehrle, Crede has had more to do with the South Side success story than anyone. Yet he's always been on the outside looking in when it's time for either contractual security or recognition that goes beyond pats on the back.

Crede could have been the most valuable player of the World Series just as easily as Jermaine Dye. He contributed with clutch plays in the field, practically winning Game 1 with his glove, and timely hits at the plate. He just wasn't the guy who got the last big hit. That was Dye, who was congratulated as heartily by Crede as anyone else when Dye was called up on the clubhouse platform to receive the MVP award.

To my knowledge, Crede never has said a peep about that decision, which says a ton about him as well as the atmosphere around the Sox. He probably won't get worked up about the All-Star snub either. But since he's a human being, it has to be disappointing.

This is a guy who has become one of the best all-around players in the game, better in 2006 than either of the AL's All-Stars at his position, the Yankees' Alex Rodriguez and Toronto's Troy Glaus.

"I really like Joe Crede," Cubs manager Dusty Baker said. "He's improved from one year to the next as much as any player I've seen in a long time. He was always able to pick it over there at third base, and now he's a confident, dangerous hitter too. He seemed to find himself in the playoffs last year. . . . He's just a good all-around player."

While showing the same range of fielding skills that have landed Eric Chavez five Gold Gloves, Crede is batting .303 with 16 homers and 57 runs batted in. After coming off the bench Sunday, he hit a two-run shot into the left-field seats at Wrigley Field in the eighth inning but probably went home thinking more about his grounder to second base that killed a Sox rally in the ninth.

While Guillen says he fought hard to get Crede onto his team and that he will add him if an injury opens a spot, the reality is this was a three-sided snub.

Fans, who elected Rodriguez to start, and his peers, who elected Glaus (.248-22-57) as the backup third baseman, bypassed Crede. But so did Guillen. That might be the hardest part for Crede to understand.

After using four of his seven discretionary picks to give Oakland, Baltimore, Cleveland and Kansas City their required players, Guillen had three left. He lived up to his vow to take as many White Sox as possible, but the guys he selected were Konerko, Buehrle (who thanked him by giving up 11 runs in five innings of the 15-11 loss) and closer Bobby Jenks. The three join Jim Thome, Jose Contreras and Dye, who were elected in a vote of players and coaches.

ESPN's Harold Reynolds started the chorus of complaints about Guillen stacking the roster with his own. But the problem was that the Sox simply had too many deserving players. You could see this one coming, the one twist being that the players elected Thome and not Konerko as the backup first baseman.

Guillen could have left Konerko (.314-20-63) home and taken Crede or second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, but that would have meant the AL's two first basemen, David Ortiz and Thome, were moonlighting from designated hitter jobs. They had combined to play only nine games in the field this year, and Guillen decided that would be no way to continue the AL's winning streak. "I had to have somebody who could give me some innings at first base," Guillen said.

Rules put in place after the 2002 embarrassment in Milwaukee dictate 12-man pitching staffs, so Guillen wasn't really picking Buehrle or Jenks over Crede. He was picking them over the likes of Curt Schilling, Mike Mussina, Justin Verlander and Joe Nathan.

Guillen has a say in who goes on that goofy Internet vote for the 32nd roster spot, the one won by Scott Podsednik a year ago. And A.J. Pierzynski, not Crede, is on that ballot. Pierzynski's a valuable part for the Sox, no doubt, but his numbers pale compared with many other AL catchers, including non-All-Stars Ramon Hernandez, Victor Martinez, Jorge Posada and Kenji Johjima.

Guillen said he was playing around with ways to get Crede on the roster as late as Sunday morning. "There was no way we could get him in," said Guillen, who hated the process.

Being involved with picking an All-Star team can be a thankless assignment. If you're Joe Crede, so can playing third base as well as anyone.