Greg Maddux

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Greg Maddux, has won 312 games but only has reached 20 wins twice in his career. That is pretty amazing. He's not like the overpowering Roger Clemens but he can still win consistently in this league. Maddux next milestone is 3000 strikeouts. He needs about 25 more. He is a great fielding pitcher who has won 14 gold gloves. He is also a good hitter.

Bart

Hall of Famer
He is amazing. He throws his fastball at the same speed most guys throw change-ups but he is a master at placement. Nobody fields the position better than he does. He must have the reflexes of a cat.Making spectaular defensive plays is routine for him.

Greg Maddux may be the most under-rated and unrecognized superstar white athlete in any of the major sports, and that's saying a lot. He is undeniably one of the best pitchers in baseball history. Yet even now at the end of his career how often do you hear anything about him? It's disgraceful.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
right winger said:
Greg Maddux may be the most under-rated and unrecognized superstar white athlete in any of the major sports, and that's saying a lot. He is undeniably one of the best pitchers in baseball history. Yet even now at the end of his career how often do you hear anything about him? It's disgraceful.

It's weird they don't mention him. He is on a major market team like the Cubs and he played for that really good Braves team.

IceSpeed2

Guru
Maddux's skills come from the movement on his
fastball. In an era when aggressive singles hitting was frowned
upon, Maddux faked hitters, which would only swing if the pitch was
definitely a strike, way out. He would often have them down 0-2
because they would take two close pitches. I bet he would
struggle against a Baldelli or Garciaparra, but he would whip Ricky
Henderson and catch Barry Bonds looking.

Edited by: IceSpeed2

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Maddux hit another milestone by getting his 3000 K only the 13th person to do that. I can't believe nobody posted this yet. Wheres all the baseball fans?

Bart

Hall of Famer
His fast ball is slower than the speed limit but he can still field his position better than anyone.

[url]http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/bb-pro/2005/nov/02 /110203423.html[/url]

Chicago Cubs pitcher Greg Maddux won his 15th Gold Glove on Wednesday, one shy of the record shared by pitcher Jim Kaat and third baseman Brooks Robinson.

Maddux set a record for Gold Gloves won in the National League - Kaat won 14 in the AL and two in the NL. It was the second straight Gold Glove for Maddux and 15th in 16 seasons.

GWTJ

Mentor
Seeing as SI has recently done an article on Jake Peavy and the influence Greg Maddux has had on the youngster, how about some predictions for how many wins Maddux will end up with when he retires. I would like to see him finish this year at approx. 348 wins. He would need 15 wins this season to get that. He would be 41 yrs old at the end of the season. I would then like to see him pitch for two more years at least. If he averaged 13 wins a season for two more years that would give him 374 wins and move him into 3rd on the all-time wins list. He could reasonably do that and still be younger than Clemens or Randy Johnson are right now.

Daring to dream, I would love to see him have just a few more wins per year than 13. He could then make a legit run for 400 wins. He would have to pitch until he was 46 yrs old to do that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
To hit 400 wins would be more impressive than Cy Young's 511 career wins, because a century ago pitchers pitched every third day and usually went the distance or close to it, thus figuring in on almost every decision.

Even if Maddux and Roger Clemens don't win another game, their career win totals are simply mind-bogglingin thecurrent eraof five-man rotations and various set-up men and closers out of the bullpen.

Maddux, Clemens and Randy Johnson are all-time great athleteswho should be receiving far more publicity and acknowledgement than they do. Clemens getsa lotmore than the other two, but as has been noted many times at CF, the caste media for years has been grumpily wondering when he'll retire, and then often criticizes him when he decides to return.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Greg Maddux wins #350!
smiley32.gif

GWTJ

Mentor
Congrats to Mad Dog. A true professional who deserves and accolades that come his way.

I wonder how many times he will be featured on ESPN's game of the week this season. Last year he was on just once. Perhaps if I leak to the press that his grandfather was black he will get some more air time.
smiley5.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Greg is retiring on Monday, ending one of the great careers in baseball history.

Maddux to retire with 355 wins</font>

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3748249
It was also nice to see a guy with a body like your average pencil pusher or at best a weekend warrior get mind boggling totals like this. I wish he wanted to push his body another year or two. Passing Spahn would have been an enormous accomplishment.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white is right said:
It was also nice to see a guy with a body like your average pencil pusher or at best a weekend warrior get mind boggling totals like this. I wish he wanted to push his body another year or two. Passing Spahn would have been an enormous accomplishment.

Good point. I wonder if the Caste clowns of the media consider the 8th winningest pitcher of all time an "athlete" or not. I can just imagine what we'll be reading five years from now: "He resembled Mr. Magoo more thanan athlete. And the time it took him to run down ground ballsfrom the pitcher's moundwas measured by a sun dial rather than a stopwatch. But somehow Greg Maddux today became a first ballot inductee at Cooperstown."

PhillyBirds

Mentor
That one might be tough to push. The all time leader in Gold Gloves probably posesses moderate athleticism to field his position.
smiley36.gif