Greatest White Heavyweight of All

pt.guard2 said:
I agree WS.

Cooney did not have a overly muscled body...(he was 6'7 after all) but for someone with an "awkward, gangly, unathletic frame"....he was one of the hardest punchers in recent heavy weight history. Even Holmes admits that Cooney hit him harder in that fight than any other fighter he ever faced, with the possible exception of Ernie Shavers.

As for Cooney's performance that night.....although he was inexperienced, he fought his heart out and was actually ahead on two of the judges cards late into the fight.......in fact if the fight had been 12 rounds, instead of 15, he might have won. (I believe he also lost 3 points for low blows).

Most experts agree that if Cooney came out and tried to knock out Holmes, (like he did everyone else he fought up to that time) instead of trying to pace himself for a 15 round fight, he would have had a much better chance of winning.

He had a pretty good chin as well that night (his corner stopped the fight after the knockdown in the 13th round, but he was back on his feet) and absorbed everything Holmes threw at him and came back for more.

He was never the same after that fight.....and admitted that the guilt he felt "at letting people down" made him lose the zeal he had for fighting.

It pisses me off when I hear people refer to Cooney as a bum. Having fought a bit myself, I know the courage it takes for anyone to get into the ring....much less to fight at a championship level, which Cooney was able to do....

Exactly. Also Cooney was the subject of intense hatred by the caste system before and after his loss to Holmes.

Look at this caste article by Sports Illustrated from 1987

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazin e/MAG1066057/index.htm

He found himself at midnight in a neighborhood he didn't know. Now he was a boxer. Most people in Huntington wouldn't want their sons to go into that neighborhood. But suddenly, suburbanites all across America were thrilled that Cooney was going. What they couldn't do at midnight on a city street or a subway, Gerry could. "Whites wanted him to beat up a black man," says friend Dennis Hewitt, "in order to calm their fears."

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
This may sound crazy but I think it is Vitali Klitschko. He only has two loses and those two loses are because the judges didn't allow him to fight on. He dominated everyone including Lennox Lewis. Its a shame the injuries got the best of him. His brother Wlad, who is a great fighter himself, isn;t half the fighter he is.

Blue Devils

Mentor
It's either Marciano or V Klitschko. A few more wins and I believe(correct me if I'm wrong) Wladimir might have the most title defenses of a white Heavyweight champ. He might already have the record after all those WBO defenses. Best not to win a title would be either Golota or Quarry.

G

Based on longivity, performance and record its no contest at this point. Marciano by a landslide.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Golota should have won the title twice beating Byrd and Ruiz but he was robbed. I know he did some really stupid things in his career but they didnt have to rob him blindly the way they did.