Greatest UFC Champ Ever

Sean

Mentor
Of all the UFC heavyweight champions, who do you guys think was the best? Shamrock was excellent, as was Couture and Coleman.

G

Sean said:
Of all the UFC heavyweight champions, who do you guys think was the best? Shamrock was excellent, as was Couture and Coleman.
Randleman
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Sean

Mentor
godking said:
Sean said:
Randleman
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

I agree that is funny! Especiallly because he got pounded by fat Erikson, beat by Rutten, Liddel, Couture, that Emilienko guy, and Ron Waterman! Sorry he's not going to make the all time greats list. What next, Gary Goodridge!Edited by: Sean

Gary

Mentor
There were some pretty tough guys in the UFC-Dan Severn,Ken Shamrock,Tank Abbott,Mark Coleman and Oleg Taktarov. But Randy Couture may have been the best.Don Frye was also vey tough.

IceSpeed

Guru
Randy Couture is certainly a very good fighter. However Ken
Shamrock was the best. I also have to consider Royce Gracie as
the best pound for pound. Someone to fight as well as he can at
his weight(170 pounds) is amazing. His ground grappling
techniques are flawless. Shamrock may be slightly better given
his striking and grappling ability.

Shamrock is the toughest fighter in history.

What do you guys think about Tank Abott?

Sean

Mentor
IceSpeed said:
Randy Couture is certainly a very good fighter. However Ken Shamrock was the best. I also have to consider Royce Gracie as the best pound for pound. Someone to fight as well as he can at his weight(170 pounds) is amazing. His ground grappling techniques are flawless. Shamrock may be slightly better given his striking and grappling ability.

Shamrock is the toughest fighter in history.
What do you guys think about Tank Abott?

Randy Couture is certainly the best around now, since Shamrock has back problems. Ken in his prime though, fought Gracie, and it was oine sided, though they Gracie a draw. Gracie just couldnt do anything against Ken.

As for Tank Abbott, he was always one of my favorites, but he didn't really have the knowledge needed to be a consistent winner. He just went out slugging, andhoped for the best.

IceSpeed

Guru
Ken Shamrock was the greatest fighter of all time upon further
review. He was the most versatile and one of the toughest.
He had striking/grappling down. I wish Larry Holmes would fight
him and get killed, ending the myth of Black supremacy once and for
all. Holmes trashed talked, so he should back it up.
However, he decides to be the typical black athlete.

I like Shamrock's life story, about how he lived in cars and came back
from an injury that was supposed to be carreer ending.

As for Royce, note "pound for pound." Shamrock could beat him in
a bar. Although, I mean no disrespect to Royce and his
contributions.

What do you all think about Muay Thai and BJJ? I think they are
good styles, but make traditional European martial arts such as
wrestling(although BJJ is very similiar, but designed for the ground)

and boxing lose credibility.

Kaptain

Master
Frankly, I would pick Royce over all of them. A lot of these guys look roided-up. Royce was pure skill and in a true match that is never brought back to the feet by the referee and ground kicks allowed I would take Royce. Shamrock and most of the others didn't know much until they studied Royce's style. Just look at how easily Royce beat Shamrock the first time.

Other than that, Don Frey was my favorite to watch. Loved it when he pounded Gary Goodrich.

dkr77

Guru
Shamrock was good in the early days of the UFC but he is having problems with the younger, more rounded fighters of today. Randy Couture has evolved and seems to come up with the perfect plan to defeat whoever he is matched against. He lost a couple of big matches before moving down to the light heavyweight division and now seems to be on a roll. Even at 41 Couture is one of the best conditioned fighters out there. Royce Gracie, who I met a couple of months ago, would also have to be considered an all time great. Gracies only drawback is his striking, If he cannot get someone to the ground then he may have difficulty winning. Has anyone watched the 1 1/2 hour fight between Royce Gracie and Sakuraba? It was unreal. Gracies corner eventually threw in the towel. As far as best pound for pound no holds barred fighter I would have to say Jeremy Horn, whois affiliated withthe Pat Militich camp in Iowa. Horn is a very well rounded fighter on the ground, in the clinch or striking. I enjoy watching all of these fighters and respect everyone of them. Did anyone see the last pride? Cro Cop and Fedor are scheduled to fight this spring/summer!

dkr77

Guru
Icespeed,I train BJJ and Sambo and also havesome base knowledgein Muay Thai and boxing. Wrestling has the best takedowns. Judo has best throws. Muay thai has best striking with legs and clinchwork (elbows/knees). boxing has best hand strikes. Sambo / BJJ best ground skills. Just my personal opinion.

G

Do you guys watch Pride (a Japanese tournament)? I think their heavyweights are better than the UFCs. The top guy right now is a Russian named Fedor. He's beaten everybody including Norguera (sp?), Coleman, and Randleman. He's going to be facing off against a Croation striker named Mirko Filipovic. I've seen all the UFCs and I think the top 2 heavys from Pride, Fedor and Norguera would smoke any of um. Some of the toughest white guys I've ever seen have been in Pride. Check out the tournaments that have Igor Vovchanchin and Heath Herring in them.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Chuck Liddel is one of my favorites but he was knocked out by Rampage
Jackson fighting in Pride as the UFC rep. But there are some guys
fighting in the UFC now that I think are just plain bad-ass.: Andrei
Arlovski is huge, cut to the bone, and bad as hell. Frank Mir,
Evan Tanner, many of these guys are very skilled.

Mirko "Cro-cop" Filipovic is great too, but I feel he needs to
work on his ground game. He has been beaten by lesser fighters who took
him to the ground and tapped him out.. with even some basic ground
training he would be a much better fighter.

I think one of the reasons Royce and the other Gracies do not compete
anymore is because today's fighters are more well-rounded. The
early fighters the Gracies faced, for the most part, were stand up
fighters with little or no ground game. The new breed knows the tricks,
and I think the Gracies would be in for a much tougher fight, and less
certain outcomes. They've built a great rep and wouldn't want to
tarnish it with a bunch of losses in the octagon. (The Carlos Gracie
line is a different matter.)

Greatest of all time - Randy Couture. I think he'd beat Shamrock,
Royce, any of them, even in their prime. The guy isn't just fit - he is
smart and knows how to game plan a fight. I think he will beat Lidell
again this April.

Just one guys opinion!
smiley2.gif

G

did you guys see the ufc fight over the weekend with bonner and forest. those were the two light heavyweight finalists from the ultimate fighter reality show. what a tremendous fight, a absolute war that literally rivaled anything that hearns and hagler through at each other. And these guys were fighting virtually bare fisted and throwing bombs ,hooks crosses and straight right and lefts for a full 15 minutes. even the color analyst joe rogan wwas comparing it to hagler hearns. check it out and you will become a immediate fan. white athletes tend to excel in this competitionbecause of our strength, multi-dimensional training and just plain courage. no weak white guys on these shows. And it is not barbaric, there are rules and a honor code with these martial artists of all races. mike tyson was never the baddest man on the planet. he would be taken to the ground in 5 seconds in one of these competitions and made to tap out.

G

i did not get to watch the ufc ppv tonight between couture and liddell. if anybody from caste is watching tonight please post the results and any opinion of the fight as well as the rest of the show.

G

If you want white warriors there is no better place to look than the ufc or pride fighting out of japan; unless you want to go to iraq and afghanistan and see the warriors there.

dkr77

Guru
Liddell caught Couture with a hard right and knocked him out. the fight of the night was Matt Hughes who was kneed in the groin and almost knocked out when his opponent,Frank Trigg, took advantage of the situation. Hughes fended off the attack, picked up Trigg, carried him across the ring, slammed him to the floor and beat the hell out of him. It was great! Last nights pride was not as entertaining but it did have a few good matches. The loudmouth homoerectus, Quentin Jackson, wasbeaten senseless by "shogun" Rua in a great display of muay thai skills.

SVcabron

Rampage isn't what he used to be. Shogun is a bad-ass though. I can't wait for Fedor to fight Cro-Cop.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just watched UFC for the first time last week. It was brutally real. No resting like in boxing. These guys are tough.

Gary

Mentor
In his very prime years Ken Shamrock was the toughest man on earth.He was in top shape-knew various styles of fighting,he could fight on the ground and from a standing postion.Tyson might last 2 minutes with Shamrock.Ali,Holmes,Spinks,Patterson,etc couldn't carry Ken's jockstrap!