Galarraga/Joyce

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I'm sure you all have seen plenty on this story. A first base umpire, Jim Joyce, blew a call on the last out of a possible perfect game for Detroit pitcher Armando Galarraga. Runner was clearly out on the replay and he called him safe costing Galarraga a perfect game.

The coverage afterwards dwarfed the kind of coverage that would have been given had he actually got the perfect game. The Tigers gave Galarraga a new Corvette as a consolation prize although giving a car to a guy making millions of dollars a year doesn't seem all that great to me but to the DWF's a free Corvette is a wet dream come true, so a great PR move none-the-less.

The next game Joyce was scheduled to be the home plate umpire so the Tigers had Galarraga bring out the line-up card before the game. It allowed for further wallowing in the whole event by the media.

I saw lots of video on a tearful Jim Joyce falling on his sword, practically wailing how he cost "that kid a perfect game". Something seemed a little odd about the whole thing but at first glance all parties involved seemed to handle it okay. Galarraga, for his part, handled it exceptionally well. He's hispanic but looks pretty white for the most part (born in Venezuala).

The other day, now 3 weeks after the fact, the local sports show was going on about it again. They showed the damn play at least 10-15 times in a row, over and over. I thought to myself "what's the angle", what cultural marxist point were they trying to drill home to the DWF's?

It occurred to me that there was a partly racial angle to it, Joyce is s grey haired old white guy, Galarraga a young hispanic male. The future of america playing out, an evil white demon cheating a precious minority out of some deserved award. And Joyce played the part perfectly.

It finally occurred to me what was bugging me about the whole thing. Joyce was personifying what I call the "pussification" of white America. Sure he blew the call. Okay he apologized. It happens. He didn't mean it so move on. When I was a kid you would never get an umpire to admit he blew the call even if he saw it on tape.

And if he did admit it, he would never CRY about it. There's no crying in baseball! God, it sickened me to see that old man crying. What a wimp. Mistakes happen in life, move on. But an umpire crying about blowing a call? WTF?

Skipperron

Guru
Yeah he sort of played the conservative republican role. You know the one where they call the president a "liar" or maybe say the BP deal was a "shakedown" but then just a day later they are falling over themselves to apologize.

Bart

Hall of Famer
If the ump was a minority and the pitcher a non-Hispanic White man the story would have disappeared almost immediately.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
White men frequentlycrying in public is another characteristic of our upside-down, emasculatedsociety. One rarely sees women cry publicly anymore (nor minority males),while white men will often gush, the way feminists criticized women for doing so in the past. Dick Vermiel, Bill Cowher, Jim Leyland and many more are crybabies.

After the first round of the U.S. Open, Shaun Micheel, usually pretty stoic, was interviewed by Tom Rinaldi about his round and then about his mother, who is battling cancer. Rinaldi seemed intent on asking questions about the latter until Micheel choked up, which he finally did.

I was proud of Phil Mickelson for maintaining his composure after winning The Masters in a script (fantastic final round, greeted after winning by cancer-stricken wife) made for mass sobbing. Phil was obviously filled with emotion but acted like a man.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
Yes, it was very unmanly of him to be so apologetic. And of course it's disgraceful the way the media keeps milking this minor event.