Florida and White Players

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Some emailed the site this article on Florida and white players. It has the usual negative stereotyping but what I found is encouraging is the quote from Chandler Parsons, which shows white basketball players (and presumably white football players) aren't always oblivious as to how things work: "You look at any school in the past that has had a white guy do well," Parsons said. "If you're a white recruit, you look at that stuff. But you really want to look at a school that fits your style of play. All black, all white, all Spanish, doesn't matter as long as you can flourish in that system."

Florida Gators basketball a mecca for white players?

[url]http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2009/04/f lorida-gators-basketball-a-mecca-for-white-players-.html [/url]

j41181

Master
Very good find, DW!

The article was enjoyable to read. I enjoyed especially the line "doesn't matter (what race) as long as you can flourish in that system."

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
not surprisingly, Jon Entine makes an appearance in this "article" chirping about how whites are simply genetically inferior to blacks. blah blah blah.

what's ridiculous is that, despite seeing these "articles on race" that pop up from time to time, none of these so-called "reporters" ever bothers to ask the most obvious questions.

furthermore, if only a bare handful of teams recruits a somewhat higher proportion of white athletes, then how in the hell would it be possible for a team with a lot of whites to win? it obviously wouldn't! because no such team exists. as the article pointed out, only 11 of the teams they examined even signed whites as more than 20% of their scholarship roster! that's barely more than 1 out of 5 players, people.

so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: one obviously can't win with white players if one doesn't have them on their roster, and since no one wins with whites on their roster, they obviously must not be any good. bleh!
smiley11.gif

as a parallel example, let us look at the case of black quarterbacks...

only one team in the history of the NFL ever won the Super Bowl with a black quarterback, and even that was under strange circumstances. so, by the rationale of this article, we should expect coaches to not recruit/sign blacks to play quarterback. right?

wrong!

the exact opposite is true! since so few black quarterbacks are worth a crap, the solution is to find more! in fact, we're constantly inundated with articles and tv specials and emotional please from "non-racists" that "We need more black quarterbacks!"

does anyone see the obvious double standard here?
smiley5.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

ultimately, it goes back to high school. just like in football, in basketball talented white players aren't signed to play college ball. at least not by the big programs.

take for example my home state: Arkansas.

Fayetteville High School was by far the best boy's team in the state. they had an undefeated season (30-0) in the largest classification in the state and went on to win the state championship. they were very, very good. in fact, they were so good that they had 4 players named All-State... any of which has a legitimate case for being the team's best player.

of course, the only black starter on the team was "the consensus" best player.
smiley2.gif
in fact, he was named Arkansas Gatorade Player of the Year. for the second time. his name is Fred Gulley. he's a good player, no doubt, but would it surprise anyone here that A) he is going to a high-profile Division I program? and B) that there were several white kids who were better than him in the state?

on the deepest team in the state that played a fast-paced full-court style of basketball, Fred Gulley, a 6-foot-2 senior guard, averaged 16.4 points, 4.9 rebounds, 3.5 steals and 3.0 assists per game. he is headed to Oklahoma State this fall, choosing from numerous Division I offers.

compare his numbers and story to the following players and see if you notice a trend?

aaronhawley.jpg

Aaron Hawley (right) guards Fred Gulley in the state championship game

Aaron Hawley, a 6-7 guard/forward, also led his team to the state championship game (losing to Fayeteville) and was named All-State. but unlike Gulley, Hawley had no supporting cast. if he didn't get it done, it didn't get done. on a team that had no depth and had to play a slow-down game, Hawley averaged 18 points and 8 rebounds.

Hawley played in the same conference as Gulley at Rogers High School, which is just up the road from Fayetteville and the University of Arkansas, and despite putting up better numbers and being a more versatile player and a better athlete, he wasn't recruited at all by the Razorbacks or any other major program. his best offer? Drake University.

Coleson Rakestraw, a 6-3 point guard, averaged 24.6 points and 5.7 rebounds a game while maintaining a 3-to-1 assistto-turnover ratio, en route to leading his high school to their first State Championship in 100 years. he was the Class 5A State Tournament MVP and played just down the road from Hawley and Gulley at Siloam Springs, but he didn't get any Division I offers at all. he'll play at little John Brown University.

Adam Sterrenberg, a 6-3 point guard from Cabot High School in Cabot, Ark. like Hawley, Sterrenberg was a one-man show for his team that had to slow down the tempo. named All-State, he has led Cabot to its basketball, EVER! his tenure includes Cabot's first state tourney appearance in more than 30 years, back-to-back state tournament appearances for the first time in school history, and the first conference championship in school history. Sterrenberg averaged 22.9 points. 3.5 assists, 3.4 rebounds and 2.3 steals. additionally, in the state tournament, he ran circles around Gulley who couldn't guard him. Sterrenberg's best scholarship offer? ever-dismal Arkansas State.

adamsterrenberg.jpg

Adam Sterrenberg picks Fred Gulley's pocket in the state tournament semi-finals.

so here we have 4 players who played against each other and produced somewhat similar numbers...

by their acclaim and future opportunities presented to them, can you guess who is black and who is white?
smiley2.gif

this my friend's is how the Caste System works.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Realistic

Keep your eye on a white kid from Kentucky. I saw him in the KY state tournament this year. His name is Elisha Justice, plays for a school called Shelby Valley, and will be a senior next year. I was really impressed with him in the state tournament. He's a 5-11 point guard and had complete control of the court and the basketball. His ball handling ability reminded me of Jason Williams but without the attitude. He's absolutely quick as a cat. And, from all accounts he's a great kid.

Billy Donovan invited him to his invitation only elite camp last year so he's aware of him. Donovan recruited some white point guards in the past so he may give him a fair look. I'm pretty sure Calipari won't even though the KY fan base would love him and he'd be incredible in the dribble drive offense.