Enuf is enuf: NCAA must make sickle cell testing!!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/12981098/enough-is-enough-ncaa-must-make-sickle-cell-testing-mandatory?tag=untagged

It's to the point now that the question has to be asked: How many will die until testing becomes NCAA law? Thirty-five years after the first death by sickle cell trait was recognized by the NCAA, the association formally agreed last year to the small step of recommending testing to its members. That move only came about because of a settlement of a lawsuit regarding a Rice player who died because of the condition.

Even then it would take coaches and their trainers to be educated more about the condition. You can play with sickle cell trait, easily. Oklahoma takes pride in having won championships with such players. Sooners head trainer Scott Anderson is a leading authority on the effects of sickle cell trait on athletes.

On the opposite side is Central Florida, which is fighting a wrongful death lawsuit filed after the death of Ereck Plancher two years ago. Affected players must be gradually introduced into strenuous exercise. If not, blood cells can "sickle" causing a log jam in vessels that restricts blood flow. In college football, the recent deaths have been caused by players who did too much, too fast, usually in preseason conditioning drills. Abram was involved in Ole Miss' first team morning run of the offseason, according to trainer Shannon Singletary.

Whitey's responsible! We "bred them" for da sickle cell!... oh, and the diabetes and kidney problems, and ginormous glutes.

Maybe teams NEED to recruit them "inferior White boys?"

Here's an previous article of his that's even LAMER.. (the drivel isn't challenged)

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/11742560

All 50 states screen for the condition at birth, but in many cases families aren't told the results, or they forget or ignore them.

I just wantz my boy to make the NFL. Make mammy proud, uh, wealthy!

At places like Maryland, coach Ralph Friedgen can reach across his desk and hold up a list of his sickle cell trait players. At others, it's obvious coaches and trainers don't know or don't care about what has become the game's leading killer.

The family of Rice's Dale Lloyd, who died in 2006, also is suing the school. The lawsuit alleges that Lloyd's death could have been prevented had Rice tested for sickle cell trait and the NCAA mandated it.

"It is shameful that these athletes continue to die from something that is completely preventable," Eichner said in 2006.

It's easy to reach a conclusion of general negligence similar to that of the plight of minority coaches in college football. There is a lot of talk about the issue, but not enough action. At many schools, minority coaches can't get a fair shot at being hired. It's more serious for some of the young African-Americans they are coaching. Those players are still dying.

Maybe White coaches should stop recruiting negroes? That'll work! Campus crime would also go down!

Truthfully, these "bleeding hearts" just can't deal wiff the reality that their affletes AREN'T superhuman, and have died from various ailments, and also from 'hood violence.

Say that Jamal gets AIDS because he was on the "DL" - the media is going to come out and bitch and moan, and say that "it was PREVENTABLE. This is just AWFUL! POOR little Jamal..."
smiley44.gif

There's a reason the "one drop rule" was instituted. I wish more Europeans would understand the reality of genetics. They said some sickle cell is in the Mediterranean... Race-mixing is already doing it's damage.
smiley3.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to add that I don't purport to know what this Ole Miss player died from. I think Dennis Dodd is an idiot for putting this article out on Feb. 26 and acting like an "expert"... PROPAGANDA!

Here's a couple good comments:

Why can't people have enough common sense to test themselves? Why do idiots think it's the government school's responsibility? WAKE UP POEPLE! And, PARENTS, get your act together, get your kid tested. Tax payers shouldn't have to flip the bill because of lazy, dumb, irresponsible parents! It's not like sickle cell anemia hasn't been around long; Parents should know better.

Second, getting tested in college is WAY TOO LATE. Kids need to be tested atleast before they turn 13 years old!

without hesitation that you cannot place a value on human life, and football is secondary to a young man's health, but what is the families responsibility in this testing? There are many, many invisible conditions that can kill an athlete, should a university be expected to test for all of them? And what if the test is positive and a young man with NFL potential is disqualified from college athletics? Will the family then sue the university saying that they are denying him a right to earn a living? This is a can of worms that shouldn't be opened. It should be the young man's family's responsibility to have him tested for this condition by the family doctor, just as it should be a young man's family's responsibility to have him tested if there is a history of heart problems in the family. These are educational institutions, not nannies.

When 300+ pound sumos die, the families are like - "My boy was healthy! The cracka coach is the one that killed him, overworked my poor boy. Who cares if my boy was a black Michelin Man? In our community, that is heaaalthhy!"

It never ends... No personal responsibility!