Embedded Corporate Media at Work

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a good example of how pro sports and the corporate media are embedded together in pursuit of the same agenda. Pirates fans have organized a walkout after the 3rd inning of Saturday's game, to protest an organization that has managed the not insignificant feat of fielding a losing team for 15 straight years.

I have yet to see fans organize effectively and doubt this will have any effect on the Pirates ownership even if it takes place en masse, but the FSN affiliate that televises the Pirates games has dutifully followed the team's request to "black out" the protest. Covering a legitimate news story fairlyis tossed aside in favor of doing what a corporate partner wants. That's how it works in USA Inc., in sports and every other institution when it comes to the government-regulated corporate media, which is inseparable and intertwined with all the other power brokers in the country.
Walkout by Pirates fans gets blacked out
<H3>FSN won't show live footage of planned protest at Pirates' game Saturday</H3>

The Pirates are doing their best to downplay the fan walkout scheduled for after the third inning of the team's game Saturday night with the Washington Nationals.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=180 align=right>

<T>
<TR>
<TD></TD>

</TR>

</TABLE>They have asked their television announcing crew not to discuss the walkout with the media. They have removed all comments about the walkout from their message board at pirates.com. They have the support of their television rights holder, FSN Pittsburgh, which does not plan to show the protest as part of its game coverage.

Rest of article: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07179/797796-194.stm

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I have walked out on the entire sport of baseball. Until they get a commissioner who finally has the balls to take down the sports corrupt players union (which is more like a mafia than a union) I will continue not to care about baseball

GWTJ

Mentor
My cynical side is starting to get the best of me.

The Pirates just happened to score six runs in the 2nd inning last night. The walkout was scheduled for the 3rd inning. Have the Pirates scored six runs in a game this year much less in an inning? Coincidence or fix?

So the big walkout fizzled big time last night after all that offense.

I guess the Pirate fans are as inept as the Pirates.