Diaconu vs. Hoye

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This coming Wednesday May 9, undefeated Romanian-Canadian light heavweight Adrian Diaconu, age 28 (23-0, 14 KO) will be fighting Rico Hoye, age 32 (20-1, 15 KO) in a WBC title eliminator. The winner will become the next mandatory to fight the WBC champion, currently Chad Dawson. This fight will be televised on ESPN2.

JD074

Master
Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely check that out. He has a bunch of Youtube vids, too.

JD074

Master
Awesome performance from Diaconu, guys. I hope you all saw it. He scored two knock downs in the second round, and finished him within 30 seconds of the third round. Hoye towered over him (5-9 vs. 6-3) but that was not an issue."The Shark" can punch, no doubt about it.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
What a dominated performance. He really opened up Hoye's face and that combo that ultimately ended the fight was vicious...

Hockaday

Guru
Yet another very good Eastern European prospect.

This Diaconu guy can sure lay some ordnance on the target. Atlas kept saying his punches were looping but they weren't, really. A little arc to them, for sure, but they came fast and heavy.

He needs to work on his balance and boxing, but he can already fight. I'd like to see him again, soon.

G

I'd never even heard of this guy before JD1986's post, but I'm already a big fan. He's got vicious power and even manages to box pretty well considering 99% of his punches are hooks. He's what Oganov was supposed to be.

On another note, is anyone else getting bored with Teddy Atlas? The guy is a complete broken record, he says the same crap in every fight. To the taller guy - STAY ON THE OUTSIDE AND UTILIZE THE JAB. To the shorter guy - HE NEEDS TO GET INSIDE WHERE HE CAN MIX IT UP, BUT DON'T JUST COME STRAIGHT IN. He'll do the routine even if there's a 1 inch size differential between the fighters.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Adrian Diaconu is the aggressive type of boxer that fans love to watch. I noticed the crowd in Montreal was loudly supporting him - it seems he has a following, and deservedly so.

smiley32.gif

I agree with the comments above about Teddy Atlas. He's usually very negative about East European boxers, but eventually he gave Diaconu credit for his impressive performance.

Edited by: JD1986

lumsdenpower

Mentor
He is not an East European Boxers
smiley36.gif
He is a pround canadian
smiley4.gif

Seriously that was AWESOME and I hpe that you have saw the young boxer Gauthier won with a KO in 3rd round! He was insane, not a good defense but a very good puncher!

Hockaday

Guru
Kaiser_Wrote
On another note, is anyone else getting bored with Teddy Atlas? The guy is a complete broken record, he says the same crap in every fight. To the taller guy - STAY ON THE OUTSIDE AND UTILIZE THE JAB. To the shorter guy - HE NEEDS TO GET INSIDE WHERE HE CAN MIX IT UP, BUT DON'T JUST COME STRAIGHT IN. He'll do the routine even if there's a 1 inch size differential between the fighters.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. The same thing every time, and obvious to boot.
I'm also getting a little tired of his little boxing analogies. "He's set the table, now he needs to eat," "He's knocking on the door, now he needs to find a way into the house," "He's crashed the party, now he needs to find the booze" or whatever. It's all a bit stale.Edited by: Hockaday

JD074

Master
And it seemed like it was actually a body shot that lead to the final knock down. I don't think the commentators noticed because they were so focused on the combinations to the head.

Now he's the mandatory challenger to Dawson.

Also, I liked how the color commentator totally ripped the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight.
smiley36.gif