<T>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD></TD></TR>
<TR vAlign=top>
<TD></TD></TR></T></TABLE>

http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=11475

Pitta_Mackey_award_semifinal.jpg

<INLINE-VIDEO id=289 />
MANHASSET, N.Y. (November 17, 2008) â€â€￾ BYU tight end Dennis Pitta has been named a semifinalist for the 2008 John Mackey Award by the Nassau County Sports Commission (NCSC). The Mackey Award is given to the collegiate tight end that best exemplifies the play, sportsmanship, academics, and community values of NFL Hall of Fame Tight End John Mackey.

Pitta is currently among the nations top tight ends in every statistical category. The 6-5, 250-pound junior is second in the nation in yards receiving (992), third in receptions (76) and yards per game (90.18), and fourth in receptions per game (6.91).

Against Air Force on Nov. 15, 2008, Pitta broke the BYU single-season tight end reception record of 68 set by Consensus All-American Chris Smith in 1990. His 152 career receptions are second all-time at BYU for a tight end, trailing only All-American Clay Brown who had 178 from 1978-80.

Pitta has been named John Mackey Tight End of the Week twice in 2008 for his performances against Northern Iowa and Colorado State.

The 2008 recipient of "The Mackey" will be announced on December 11, 2008 at the Home Depot ESPNU College Football Awards Show live on ESPN and presented at the Nassau County Sports Commission Annual Awards Dinner on April 27, 2009.

The Nassau County Sports Commission is a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization that promotes sports and healthy lifestyle for Nassau County residents and is responsible for the administration of the John Mackey Award and the John Mackey Award Selection Committee.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I love this guy. I hope he wins and Collie goes on to win the best wide receiver in the nation. I will say this however. Rob Gronkowski getting left off the list is the biggest joke I've ever seen. He is right there with PIta as the best tight end in the nation. Look at his numbers Col. Reb or anyone here if you doubt me. He is very angry at not being recognized as even in the top 10! What a joke.

Go Cougars and Go Pita. He will be a monster at the next level as well. I just wish I could watch the Byu/Utah Game tommorow. How can it not be on national tv?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
white lightning, that is a good question about the game. The only answer I know of is that "The Mtn", the MWC channel, has the rights to the game. Also, because it isn't a BCS conference, I think the big networks aren't too keen on airing it. Gron has a great YPC, but he doesn't have enough receptions or yards to be a finalist, imho, but I would agree that he should be at least on the watch list or considered for being in the top 10. He's just a Soph, so he'll have more chances to win the Mackey Award.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Gronk didn't play until the 3rd game of the season. He had mono. That is the only reason his numbers are not what they should be. Rob Gronkowski is unstoppable. Watch the game from last week against Oregon and just see what he did against a bowl team.

Not to take anything away from Pitta. I'm a huge fan. The funny thing is that I still have a authentic Luke Staley Jersey from several years ago. I'm a Byu Fan as are most of us here. Seeing Pitta and Collie continue the tradition is very exciting!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great point about Rob, white lightning, as I had forgotten that he was out the first couple of games. I agree about Pitta and Collie. Speaking of jerseys, I have noticed that the bookstore doesn't sell Pitta or Collie jerseys, but have dozens of Hall and Unga jerseys. Strange that they wouldn't have any this late in the season.