De La Hoya retires!

white is right

Hall of Famer
His big secret was revealed today. No he won't be a male model for Nair or fishnet stockings....
smiley36.gif
Oscar has decided to pass on JC Chavez jr and decided to retire. Here is the AP wire story.......Oscar De La Hoya retires from boxing at age 36

By BETH HARRIS - 47 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) â€â€￾ Oscar De La Hoya called it quits in the ring Tuesday, ending a career in which he won 10 world titles in six divisions and became boxing's most popular fighter. He announced his decision at an outdoor plaza across the street from Staples Center, where a statue of the 36-year-old Golden Boy stands.

"I've come to the conclusion that it's over," the native of East Los Angeles said before hundreds of fans. "It's over inside the ring for me."

De La Hoya retires four months after he was thoroughly beaten by Manny Pacquiao, his fourth loss in his last seven fights. It's been several years since De La Hoya beat a truly daunting opponent. He finished with a record of 39-6 and 30 knockouts.

"This is the love of my life, boxing is my passion, boxing is what I was born to do," he said. "When I can't do it anymore, when I can't compete at the highest level, it's not fair. It's not fair to me, it's not fair to the fans, it's not fair to nobody."

De La Hoya said he based his decision on not wanting to let down his fans or himself. But he admitted he struggled to make the final decision.

"Now I understand why athletes have such a tough time retiring from something that you feel so passionate about, from your sport that you're always thinking you can try one more time," he said.

"I can still train hard and I can still compete, but when you're an athlete that has competed on the highest level for a lot of years, it's not fair. It's not fair to step inside the ring and not give my best."

De La Hoya maintained the same stern expression on his face throughout his remarks, with his voice breaking only when he thanked his father, Joel, who sat on the stage with the boxer's wife, Millie.

"I remember the times when he would take me to the gym and never gave up on me," De La Hoya said. "We've lived some tough moments inside the ring, we've been through everything, but my father was always there for me. Thank you for pushing me as hard as you can."

De La Hoya began boxing at age 5, following in the path of his grandfather and father. He won an Olympic gold medal at the 1992 Barcelona Games, launching a pro career that brought him worldwide fame and riches.

He will stay involved in the sport as a promoter with his successful Golden Boy Promotions company. He had been juggling the roles of boxer and promoter in the last few years.

De La Hoya's retirement means the end of a cash cow for cable network HBO, which broadcast 32 of his fights â€â€￾ most of any boxer â€â€￾ and generated millions in pay-per-view profits.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

j41181

Master
Good for him! He has millions in his money bin, he has a boxing promotion to run, and he has whatever endorsements to do. He just enjoy a happy retirement. I love it how he destroyed Chavez, Sr. back in 1996, it made so many Mexicans cry, he was the villain back then before he joined up with Mexico. In the Pacman fight, it was obvious Mexicans were hoping he would destroy the Mexicutioner, when it he who wind up getting destroyed. Anyway, he was a great boxer who made some controversial moves like the Nair modeling and fishnet thing.

Another thing, Chavez, Jr. is a big joke!
smiley36.gif
The guy never fought as an amateur, and he fought nothing but patsies (often white in fact), when he is an obvious patsy himself. He is nothing more than a tool for Mexicans to enjoy the good ol' days.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I always enjoyed Oscar's big fights. I always pulled for him. He was great for the most part. I still believed he was ripped off in the Trinadad fight as well as the second Mosely fight when Shane admittly took the BALCO roids. I believe he really has only three losses. 1. First Mosely fight. 2. Hopkins fight(he had no business fighting at 160 lbs) 3. Pacman fight. I believe that fight with Mayweather should have called a draw.

But no matter, Oscar has made a mountain of money and still has his brains and looks, not a bad way to call it a career.

j41181

Master
I also enjoyed watching Oscar fight. Now it's time for him to enjoy the fruits of his labor, with his brain and sanity intact. He's done a lot for boxing, to earn his place in the sports rich and colorful history.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Oscar has given us some great fights.
smiley20.gif

He's represented the sport of boxing very well, much better than loudmouths like Ali and thugs like Tyson. I wish him all the best!
smiley32.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
I was never a huge fan of Oscar the marketing machine. (His act seemed too contrived for mass appeal) He was a great puncher at lightweight. Oscars destruction of Carl Griffith(one of my favourite club fighters)and Rafael Reulas were things of beauty. As he moved up and faced stronger fighters he became more of boxer/puncher. IMO his last great win in was the Vargas win. Edited by: white is right

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
It was good to see a non-black become the face of boxing in the mid-1990s. Now whites rule the middle-to-heavyweights and Hispanics (with the occasional Asian) rule the lower weights.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Liverlips, your last post was a great observation. Sometimes we(I) overlook the obvious and when someone points it out, reality suddenly comes into focus.

Currently, blacks are getting their asses whipped in almost every weight. The MSM, Jews, wiggers and the usual suspects are propping up the newest black sensation Pual Williams. They are saying this guy will "save" boxing. Please, if he steps into the ring with Pavlik he will get ruined and will be another "footnote" or almost "was" afterward. I am loving this current era.

Its great to hardly ever get frustrated when whites kick ass for the most part. This Hatton/Pacman fight will be huge. Can't wait!

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Williams and Dawson are the latest Great Black Dopes. Both are talented but not unbeatable.

Same double standard as always, I'm afraid.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
De La Hoya, even though he is hispanic, was a bright spot in boxing. He conducted himself with great dignity and wasn't a racist trash talker like most of todays black boxers. He was a very popular fighter who made millions of pav per view buys. I hope one of our guys acquires this kind of success.