Dave Cowens

Bart

Hall of Famer
I had forgotten how good he was. His name is rarely mentioned anymore. He was a great rebounder, often battling against much taller centers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cowens

Despite some critics who felt Cowens was too small to play center, Cowens was selected as the fourth overall pick by the Boston Celtics during the 1970 NBA draft, largely at the recommendation of former Celtics center Bill Russell.<SUP =reference id=_ref-bballhall_1>[1]</SUP> During his rookie year, Cowens averaged 17.0 points per game and 15.0 rebounds per game, and shared the NBA's Rookie of the Year honors with Portland's Geoff Petrie. He also led the league in personal fouls that same year.

In 1973, Cowens averaged 20.5 ppg and 16.2 rpg while helping the Celtics to a league best 68-14 record. He was chosen the NBA MVP as well as MVP of the All-Star Game that same season.

During his NBA career, Cowens averaged 17.6 points and 13.6 rebounds per game, was selected to seven All-Star Games, was named to the All-NBA Second Team three times, and was named to the All-NBA Defensive First Team in 1976 and All-NBA Defensive Second Team in 1973 and 1980. He was a member of the Celtics' 1974 and 1976 NBA Championship teams.

Cowens' playing credo was all-out intensity at both ends of the court, a style that never wavered during his 11-year NBA career. Cowens played aggressively, often recklessly, and with great passion. He always gave fans their money's worth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Cowens

white is right

Hall of Famer
He also was a pillar in the middle. For his era he was very strong. He was so well built that if he played in todays era he would have suspicions of PED usage......
smiley36.gif
Edited by: white is right

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
A great player with a deadly combination of marvelous talent and all-out effort and determination to win. Didn't take any crap from anyone either.

He gave Wilt Chamberlain and Abdul-Jabbar a hard time, I recall. During, I believe, his third season, SI had a big story on Cowens. One theme of the article was how strange it was that a white center was so athletic.