Daniel Charbonet finally gets his chance

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Kudos to draft daddy for asking why this kid with 4.31 hand-timed speed and a great h.s resume from The Woodlands Texas, never got a scholarship offer from Texas Tech or a starting job until his senior year. He is now tearing it up. Here's the draft daddy article. This kid is friends with also former Woodlands and Texas Tech player Danny Amendola.

From Draft Daddy:
The Houston Chronicle looks at Texas Tech defensive back Daniel Charbonnet, who leads the nation with four interceptions.

DD.comment: This is a kid we've been touting for a while now due to his aggressive, ball-hawking nature and reported 4.31 speed. But, to our surprise, he's never really had a shot to prove himself on some marginal Texas Tech defensive units. Good to see he's getting his long overdue chance to start and, perhaps, impress pro scout before his eligibility expires.
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------

Here's the linked article:

Charbonnet feeling at home as a Red Raider
After leaving Duke, The Woodlands product shines as starter with Tech
By TERRANCE HARRIS Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle
Sept. 16, 2008, 10:52PM

Texas Tech's Daniel Charbonnet leads the nation with four interceptions.

It all seemed to be working in Daniel Charbonnet's favor four years ago as a freshman at Duke.

He was at one of the most prestigious universities in the country and making a major statement on the football field for the Blue Devils. But something wasn't quite right for The Woodlands product.

He longed for home, among other things. That's when he picked up the phone and called Texas Tech.

"I was homesick and I really wanted to be part of a program that's been established for the past decade and really more," Charbonnet said. "One of my best friends (Danny Amendola, who's on the Dallas Cowboys' practice squad) played here, and he had just finished his freshman year so that helped convinced me to come here, too."

While at the time it seemed like a questionable move to give up a Duke education, four years later his vision seems clearer. Charbonnet finally has worked his way into a starting role with the Red Raiders at strong safety, and it's partially because of his play that their defense is beginning to generate a fraction of the buzz the offense has for years.
A surreal experience

Charbonnet has been instrumental in a more aggressive ball-hawk approach that has Tech No. 1 in the country in interceptions with nine. He has led the way with a nation-leading four picks through three games for the 11th-ranked Raiders .

"It was a lot of fun being out there. The stadium was packed and everyone was having a good time. It was kind of surreal," said Charbonnet, who was recognized Monday as the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week . "My first two happened on back-to-back series in the first quarter.

"It just happened so fast I had to settle myself down and really focus on the rest of the game, because we still had to play 31/2 quarters of football. So I just really had to focus on playing the next play, doing my assignment and doing my job."

While this is Charbonnet's first season as a starter, his play has been consistent from what coach Mike Leach has seen from the former walk-on the past two seasons as a reserve and constant on the Raiders' special-teams unit.
Produces in any role

"The plays will come in different shapes and sizes, but he's always had the knack for making plays at key times," said Leach, whose team hosts Massachusetts on Saturday. "It was the ultimate Daniel Charbonnet day Saturday."

It was the kind of outing Charbonnet could have only dreamed about four years ago when he decided to leave a program where he likely would have been a three-year starter .

He came to Tech knowing it would be tough to gain the type of role he enjoyed at Duke . But from the beginning, the player who didn't get much of a look from Tech coming out of high school was making his presence felt on the scout team.

That extended to special teams and in nickel and dime packages the next two seasons. Charbonnet earned a starting spot this fall after a spirited competition with several others that began during the spring and lasted well into two-a-days.

So, in his mind, it has been well worth what he left behind.

"I think looking back, I'm really glad I made the decision when I did," he said. "Even though I might have started more games, the overall college experience over here at Tech has been better for me personally because I've been able to meet some great people here and be part of some winning teams and have some fun seasons and go to some bowl games as well."

terrance.harris@chron.com

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as SteveB said, Taylor Charbonnet is incredibly gifted, as well.

Taylor, a redshirt freshman, clocked the third-fastest forty-yard dash time (4.37) amongst 283 prospects in attendance at the College Station Nike Camp. he has a 35-inch vertical, and an incredible 3.94 short shuttle.
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif
those numbers are reported here, but you'll notice they estimated his 40 time, and of course listed him as slower than he actually is. what a "surprise."

still, despite those numbers, here's what ESPN's full scouting analysis had to say about him:
A classic overacheiver. Charbonnet is tough, feisty and plays extremely hard. Probably is more productive than his ability level should allow him to be. He is undersized, but plays big and he plays with a chip on his shoulder. He has good change-of-direction skills and excellent feet. Has very good short area quickness and burst to the ball. Is at his best coming forward and keeping the ball in front of him. Shows good straightline speed and has a sneaky second gear to catch up if out of position. He is most effective in zone coverage and does an excellent job playing soft cover two. Seems to have a real good feel for routes and is always around the ball. Will break down and make the open field tackle despite a lack of size. Inserts into the pile and likes to mix it up. However, Charbonnet has limited man coverage skills. Lacks elite hip movement and may struggle in transition. Does not have the size or speed to hold up on an island versus upper echelon wide receivers. Size limits his productivity in the redzone and he can get outmuscled, but it won't be from a lack of effort. Overall, you admire a lot of Charbonnet's traits, but his overall tools are just adquate. He has huge upside in the kicking game because of his motor and tenacity.

so you see, despite all his physical gifts that are vastly superior to almost all collegiate athletes, in reality he really is only a marginal athlete...
smiley5.gif
could the caste-speak be any more ridiculous?

also, here is an article on the gifted pair of brothers. some excerpts:

In the second game of the season, Charbonnet made a huge play in a 35-19 victory at Nevada.

With Nevada trailing 14-9, he stripped the ball from Wolf Pack quarterback Colin Kaepernick just as he ran across the goal line for an apparent touchdown. An official review revealed Charbonnet securing the ball after causing the fumble.

Those kinds of plays have defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill singing Charbonnet's praises.

"He's just always around the ball, stripping the ball or getting interceptions," McNeill said. "That's just how Charb plays football."

Charbonnet's little brother, redshirt freshman Taylor Charbonnet, has garnered attention of his own on special teams.

Against Eastern Washington on Aug. 30, Taylor Charbonnet blocked a field goal and had three tackles all while seeing the field on a limited basis.

His speed and size cause all sorts of problems for opponents, which is why McNeill gave him the nickname "speed bunny."

Tech coach Mike Leach said he often thought about giving Taylor Charbonnet a bigger role when he was redshirted because of all the chaos he would cause as a scout team member.

"He'd be out there on scout team and our starting receiver would run some route, and Taylor Charbonnet would just defeat you because he's really quick," Leach said. "He changes direction really well. He's not a guy that's just sort of fast. He truly is a fast guy. You couple that with his change of direction, he's got a good head for things."

At one point, Daniel Charbonnet said they had to ask his little brother to stop blocking field goals during practice - something he has specialized at since high school.

wow. i mean, did you read that? here it is again... in short form:

Taylor Charbonnet is so good, the starting offense can't beat him. that's the same offense that racks up points like a pinball machine. yet he isn't good enough to get on the field come game time?!?
smiley5.gif

wow. just wow.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy, that first example is one of worst Caste descriptions I've ever read. Truly sickening!
2.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I vote Tom Luginbill
smiley8.gif
for caste whore of the year. These are great pieces of evidence against the caste system guys, good work Jimmy and the rest of you too.