Craig Krenzel

azguy

The Chicago Brears have waived former Ohio St QB Craig Krenzel. What a wasted of good talent. Someone in the Bears front office stated Craig was to old. To old? He was only 23 when they dumped him. I guess 23 is over the hill for a (white QB)??

Maybe Craig was to smart? Craig graduated OSU with honors and was studying Molecular Genetics. After football, Craig said he wants to be a Medical Doctor like his brother. I guess hewas just to stupid for the Bears??

Or could it be Craig was just not a good enough QB for the Bears. I mean Craig was just the only Bears QB in 40 years to win 3 games in a row during his rookie season. Craig comes in for a hurt Rex Grossman and leads the Bears to three victories during the middle of the season. That is not an easy task.

Or, could it be that Craig was just to white to fit in Lovie's plans. After all a NFL team can not have to many good white QBs. Can you imagine if the Bears kept Krenzel to back up a healthy Grossman. No way Lovie would never allow that to happen.

Sorry Criag your just to, smart, to athletic, and to white for them bears!

Maybe Lovie should just stick with Mr. Howell and let Giligan run the team.
smiley32.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Bears did draft Kyle Orton this year, which I was glad to see. He reminds me a lot of his predecessor at Purdue, Drew Brees, very smart andprobably a little betterphysical tools.

I agree that Krenzel deserved a much better shot, if not with Chicago then with somebody. He probably won't get it, having been typecast as unathletic, not astrong enough arm, etc., etc.A silver liningaboutKrenzel though, is you can bet he will be extremely successful as a physicist or whateverfield he was studying for.

azguy

Ecellent point Don about Orton. Kyle Orton will make a fine NFL QB if given a chance. However the Bears are beter known for breaking QBs not helping them. Back in days of old the Bear's heirarchy destroyed Mike Tomzack's career. Then the Bears finished off Jim Harbaugh. Years latter the Bears threw Cade McNown in the garbage. Most young QBs like McNown would have least been given another year withsome better players. I know Cade was a jerk and brought some heat on himself, but was he as bad as alot of over the top black athletes?

Now we come to Krenzel, not the best athlete, but good. Not the strongest arms, but he throw the long passes. I read that some Bear fans thought he was not intelligent enough to read defenses, and Mike Vick is??

The only thing Krenzel did right was win his first thre games with a lousey Bear's team. Here is a smart, well schooled, QB who wins games. I like to think that he will have a chance with another team in the NFL.

And don't worry give Lovie time and he will probably ruin Grossman, Orton and all the other white QBs on the Bears. Then he can bring in Shaun King to save the day.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I am a Chicago Bear's fan, and Craig Krenzel was not the reason they won 3 games. Actually, the defense won the last 2 games, but he did look promising the game against the 49ers. He didn't have very good pocket awareness or accuracy for that matter. He was a devolping quarterback that needed to fix somethings. He had to learn not to hold on the ball so long. He is not on the team because he refused to go the NFL Europe. The Bears have 4 white quarterbacks guys. After Kurt Kittner won the worldbowl he was expendible. They have Hutchinson , Orton, Grossman, Kittner, and DinWiddie. Well that's 5 I don't know if DinWiddie is staying too long.

whiteCB

Master
Who led the 2002 National Championship game in rushing yards? Oh yeah Craig Krenzel with 86 yeards on the ground. Not to shabby for someone who is just a brain and not much of an athelete. LOL. That's a big reason we beat Miami was because of Krenzel's athletic ability of avoiding sacks and rushing up the middle and why he won the game's MVP.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I agree WhiteCB. Krenzel was exciting and unpredictable. Miami was totally confused at his scrambling ability. It is amazing that someone as talented as him gets "left out" by an NFL team, that is, it would be amazing if we weren't dealing with the Caste System.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Krenzel won some games at Ohio State but a lot of them were ug--lee!

I think he deserves a chance though, reminds me a lot of Tom Brady.

What chance did he have in Chicago though?

The dude is bigtime smart not just for an athlete but for anyone, someone should try to teach this guy.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
You should all be happy he left Chicago. When have they ever had a good quarterback? or known how to use one?

Besides I think his 14 turnovers(8 fumbles 6 ints) in 5 starts had something to do with him not staying.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Besides I think his 14 turnovers(8 fumbles 6 ints) in 5 starts had something to do with him not staying.

Thats a lot of fumbles, esp in five starts. Do you recall seeing any of them during the game? Was he scrambling, getting sacked from the blind side, avoiding the rush, or is he just plain clumsy?

I compared Krenzel's fumbles in five starts to the number of Vick's fumbles last year. In 15 starts, Vick fumbled the ball 16 times, and threw 12 INT. Only difference is, none of those fumbles were lost. Vick recovered 4 of his own fumbles, and his teammates (or the sideline) bailed him out on the other 12.

Even if Vick were to lose 8 fumbles in 5 starts, I doubt we'd see him in the chow line at the local soup kitchen, regardless.
smiley2.gif

Bear-Arms

Mentor
White Shogun said:
Thats a lot of fumbles, esp in five starts. Do you recall seeing any of them during the game? Was he scrambling, getting sacked from the blind side, avoiding the rush, or is he just plain clumsy?

I compared Krenzel's fumbles in five starts to the number of Vick's fumbles last year. In 15 starts, Vick fumbled the ball 16 times, and threw 12 INT. Only difference is, none of those fumbles were lost. Vick recovered 4 of his own fumbles, and his teammates (or the sideline) bailed him out on the other 12.

Even if Vick were to lose 8 fumbles in 5 starts, I doubt we'd see him in the chow line at the local soup kitchen, regardless.

The Bears allowed 66 sacks last year, and he was holding the ball way too long. At some periods of the game he was getting pressured as soon as the ball was hiked. He was getting blind sided, but some of his fumbles looked rather clumsy. I don't recall how many fumbles the Bears recovered. They were a whole other team once they lost Grossman.

When Krenzel went out for the year his replacement didn't fair all that much better with the fumbles. Chad Hutchinson had 8 himself he just completed more passes.

I don't think Vick mobility would of even made the difference behind this offensive line.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
And it's not like the Bears had anything in the way of receivers and tight ends last year. David Terrell was the number one WR and he was awful. Justin Gage was even worse. Peyton Manning would have had a tough time doing much with Chicago's offense last year.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Don Wassall said:
And it's not like the Bears had anything in the way of receivers and tight ends last year. David Terrell was the number one WR and he was awful. Justin Gage was even worse. Peyton Manning would have had a tough time doing much with Chicago's offense last year.

I agree Don, it's hard to judge a rookie playing on such a weak offensive to begin with.

Also something I been meaning to ask, but does anyone know if you can put a player on the practice squad if they played a NFL game?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That was the good news from Ohio today. The bad news is that the Browns released WR Bill Flowers, son of the great Richmond Flowers.

IceSpeed2

Guru
The year after Krenzel won the National Championship
they[football analysts] said he had 4.6 speed. That rivals
Donovan McNabb. While black running QB's are identified with
NFL's future, white running QB's, or even just whites with speed, are
identified as being a throwback to a by-gone(pre-Sammy Baugh) era, such
as Eric Crouch. Krenzel's short passes and conservative style was
also identified with being old. Since old traditions are no
longer meaningful in this society, he had to be dumped.

whiteCB

Master
Hey a win is a win and no season will ever beat that 2002 season by OSU. It was almost too exhilerating to watch at times. It may have been ugly but man it sure was exciting.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
Hey a win is a win and no season will ever beat that 2002 season by OSU. It was almost too exhilerating to watch at times. It may have been ugly but man it sure was exciting.

Not for a Michigan fan! OSU pulled out so many games they should have lost it was insane. Teams rolled over for them at the end of games. And the interference call in the end zone was a joke! But props for the Buckeyes for winning one for the Big Ten. I guess one fans exhilerating is anothers frustration.