Corrie Sanders might fight Holyfield

G

Holyfield may fight Sanders at Emperors Palace in October

Clinton Van Der Berg Published:Jul 08, 2007 /Suntimes.co.za

Evander Holyfield versus Corrie Sanders.

Promoter Rodney Berman may need to supply Salusa 45 for the pair of ageing warriors, but that isn't stopping him from trying to land the fight for Emperors Palace in October.

On Wednesday he will meet Pat English, lawyer for Main Events, Holyfield's promotion company, in New York. "Pat called and asked about the possibility," said Berman, who told English Sanders had broken his hand in his last fight and wouldn't be able to box until October. English said that would be fine, as Holyfield needed the time to recover after beating Lou Savarese in Texas last weekend.

Berman painted a win-win scenario for Sanders.

"This is heaven-sent because if he beats Holyfield, he's right back up there. And if he loses, he'll pocket close to R2-million. The motivation's there."

Berman is pushing hard. It's Golden Gloves' 30th anniversary year, and he knows the appeal of Holyfield, even at 44, will be substantial. T he "Real Deal" was mobbed in South Africa 10 years ago on a promotional visit. He is the only four-time heavyweight champion and was involved in boxing's most infamous bout : the Bite Fight against Mike Tyson a decade ago when a chunk of his right ear was bitten off.

Sanders, 41, who broke his hand in a May fight against Daniel Bispo, was thrilled about the possibility.

"The injury is coming along nicely. At my age it's harder to be motivated, but I'll be in much better condition for a Holyfield fight. "It might be two old guys but we have lots of ambition," said the former WBO champion, who asked only for good-quality sparring. Berman has promised to import US fighters for just that. In the meantime, ex-cruiserweight champion Sebastiaan Rothmann is being roped in to assist with fitness training.

Takis Christodoulou, Sanders' manager, said the fighter would be in better condition than he was recently. "A fight with Holyfield is effectively a world title eliminator," he said from Cyprus.

http://www.geocities.com/corriesanders/

ww

G

As always with Corrie Sanders it depends which one shows up. If the
in-shape Sanders that fought Wlad shows up Holyfield is as good as
dead; if the fat golfer shows up it will be interesting. Good fight.
Hope it comes off.

ww

Maple Leaf

Mentor
If Sanders comes in any shape at all this fight is a blistering mismatch. Sanders, southpaw, one of the hardest hitting and fastest heavyweights ever, against a tired, roided, cruiserweight. Sanders should be able to crash Holyfields face. Go kill him "sniper". I'll be watching.

G

I've been a big fan of CS for years. He could have been the best of them all. If anybody doesn't know just how good he was, you can see some of his KO's on Youtube.

ww

G

On a side note, just how weird is it that there are two Corrie Sanders (OK, slight variation in spelling), both heavyweights, and both fighting at the same time? - and they both look alike, too!

;-)

I mean I don't think I've ever even met someone named Corrie, it's not a common name.

Back in the 1930's there were three (3) Bill Boyds, all USA country western singers, all twanging their guitars and warbling at the same point in time!

ww

Angelcynn

Guru
As much as I like Corrie Sanders (me being half South African) I think this fight would be a long shot and would not exactly be a quality fight with both well out of their prime, more so way past their sell by date.

WHITE NOISE

Mentor
Corrie Sanders is no Lou Savarese thats for sure. Corrie just needs to get the wood out and Tee off on Evander "Real old Holyfu k" Please some one knock this puffed up, gear head out!

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
If Corrie Sanders is in shape he would KO Holyfield...I hope this fight happens, I would like to see "Head Butt" Holyfield sent to retirement by losing to Sanders.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I might be going against the grain here, but I always liked Evander Holyfield. I prefer Sanders over him, but in my mind, Holyfield will always be the guy who ended Mike Tyson's career. That earns him a spot among my favorite boxers all by itself. Added to that is the fact that he was a blown up cruiser weight who went toe to toe with some of the biggest and best heavyweights of his era. Who can forget his fights with Riddick Bowe? George Foreman? Holyfield was in my opinion a tenacious and courageous warrior with a tremendous heart.

Having said that, he needs to retire. The problem is, Holyfield may still believe that God has told him he will win the heavyweight championship again. His faith helped him beat Mike Tyson, but in this case his faith just might kill him. Perhaps Corrie Sanders will be able to knock some sense into him and get Holyfield to retire with what remains of his brains and his dignity. Edited by: White Shogun