Colts-Steelers WWF Theatrics

Weltner

Guru
Deacon said:
White Shogun said:
smiley36.gif

And I'm glad Indy is gone from the playoffs. As much I wanted them
to win one early in the season, I as much did not want them to win now.
There would have been to much love thrown around for James
"kill-a-cracka" Dungy and his dad, who would have gotten 99% of the
credit should the Colts have won. So good bye, good riddance, and see
you next year!
Damn, you really layed it out there with that
one. Good job.

Absolutley!!!! Until Indy gets a White coach, no White person should
ever pull for them,just as no smart White person should feel any
sympathy for Dungy or,especially,his racist thug son.No sympathy for
the Devil.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Roethlisberger made a great, athletic tackle, but even if he hadn't he had slowed Harper up enough that Tuman and at least one other Steeler were right there to also take a shot at tackling him, so he wouldn't necessarily have scored if Big Ben missed. That is one of the biggest misapplied cliches among broadcasters -- constantly claiming that a player would have scored if so and so hadn't made the tackle.

Regarding Manning, I only heard him say also that he had "protection problems" and "being a good teammate I won't name any names." The Colts were manhandled by the Steelers blitzing schemes.There were also key movingbefore the snap penalties against Tarik Glenn, yet another slow, highly over-rated black offensive lineman.Even Dan Dierforff pointed out that no quarterback can function well under those kinds of conditions. That was the key difference in the game.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
No black quarterbacks, no black coaches... I won't complain about the NFC/AFC Championship games.. because if a black QB or coach makes it to the super bowl, they are always anointed as some sort of hero for diversity in the NFL ranks..

Bart

Hall of Famer
Deacon said:
From the forums I frequent, most are calling Peyton a punk and blamming him for the loss. Damn, what about Tarik Glen? The guy had two false start penalties at home, including one at the one yard line which negated their touchdown. It should've been 14-7 going into halftime not 14-3.

Absolutely right! They lost the TD and had to settle for a field goal. I went over to NFL.com to see if they had it on their highlights of the game, they did. I thought crowd noise was supposed to be an advantage for the Colts? If you know the snap and keep your eye on the ball, you shouldn't messs up once much less twice in the same game.

hedgehog

Mentor
<DIV =firstP>
<DIV =firstP>NFL: Polamalu call was a mistake
<DIV =firstP>
<DIV =firstP>NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL said the referee made a mistake: Troy Polamalu caught the ball.

The league acknowledged Monday that Referee Pete Morelli erred when he overturned on replay Polamalu's interception of a Peyton Manning pass Sunday in the playoff game between Pittsburgh and Indianapolis.

Mike Pereira, the league's vice president of officiating, said in a statement that Morelli should have let the call on the field stand.

"He maintained possession long enough to establish a catch," Pereira said. "Therefore, the replay review should have upheld the call on the field that it was a catch and fumble."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5252682

Bart

Hall of Famer
A very good article about the blown calls. Absolutely ridiculous. From whatI've heard on the talk shows, Champ Bailey's play should have been a touchback. In the playoffs something must be done to avoid or overturn some of these ridiculous calls. I don't understand the Polamalu call even after the explanations. You have to wonder about some of these officials. Bigunreal, where are you? I'm not saying it is in fact the case, but really, how dfficult would it be for an official to change the outcome of games if motivated to do so?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5251620

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to know if any of you guys have heard that Manning called out his offensive line after the game this weekend? Chewed them out, in public no less. I haven't been able to find an article or link to substantiate this.

If so, that takes Peyton down a notch in my book. They might deserve it, but it should be done privately, not in public.

He was actually quite comical, how nervous he was, he was trying so hard to put it the right way but there was just no way to do it. "If you want to ask me questions about other positions... I don't want to be a bad teammate... but there was protection problems." Something like that. He should've just showered and left. I remember Favre leaving without talking to the media after he lost a postseason game, Manning should've done the same.

bigunreal

Mentor
It is stunning to hear the NFL acknowledge an official's mistake.
Usually they stand by these clowns no matter what. I think what we can
all agree on is that there have been some horrendous calls in these
playoff games so far. The fact that NFL officiating has been so bad,
for so long, is the primary reason I began to theorize the games were
fixed. We all make mistakes, but these guys screw up constantly, and if
anyone criticizes them, they're fined by the league (unless you're St.
Joe Gibbs, in which case you can say whatever you want). When you throw
in the fact they admit that holding can be called on every play, and
watch how inconsistenty pass interference is called (again, this
penalty can be called on every passing play), I think it's pretty
reasonable to question the integrity of the games themselves.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
From what I've read so far, Manning was ASKED, "Were there protection problems?" and he said something like, "I don't want to be a bad teammate."

I haven't seen an actual transcript of the interview, but it sounds like one of those things where a reporter asks a question and the phrasing of his words are put in the interviewee's mouth, when in fact he said no such thing.

If any of you guys find a transcript or a video clip of the interview, please post. I don't want to be led into believing Manning said something he didn't, which is what I'm sure they want all of us to do. The more heat on Manning the less heat on the poor play calling of Tony "Can't win the big one" Dungy. Hell, even Colin Cowturd was pointing the finger at Tony D. today for his play calling!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
From my post above: 'Regarding Manning, I only heard him say also that he had "protection problems" and "being a good teammate I won't name any names."'

I saw and heard him say that in a post-game interview. It was obvious he was frustrated by the way the Steelers' blitzes overwhelmed his line. He didn't name names but he wasn't happy, especially because he has to shoulder the blame for what was a team loss. He probably should have done as JD said and left without saying that because it was obvious that he wasn't gettingenough time to throw most downs, but what he said wasn't that badat all IMO.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the clarification, Don. I had read your post before as well, but came across a couple of different accounts today that seemed to have different versions of the quote.

I have seen in the past where a quote will be attributed to a player, when in fact a reporter asked the question and the player's reply is made to include the question as part of the statement.

And I agree with you, it doesn't sound all that bad, either.

Speaking of quotes, what do you think about Jerry Porter calling out the refs, saying they wanted the Colts to win? Pretty much what I thought, too!
smiley36.gif

Bart

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
Speaking of quotes, what do you think about Jerry Porter calling out the refs, saying they wanted the Colts to win? Pretty much what I thought, too!

This is Porter's quote: "I know they wanted Indy to win this game; the whole world loves Peyton Manning. But come on, man, don't take the game away from us like that."

Actually, I think Dungy's name should be in the quote, not Mannings. For some reason, the people I talk to think Peyton is a great QB, but they don't really like him. I heard a couple talk show hosts a few days ago coming out of the south with the call letters KLCA , who didn't like Manning at all, I don't know why.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Joey Porter is probably the Steelers' most gangsta like player now that Plaxico Burress is gone, and of course the media always runs to him for quotes, most of which are braggadocious when not downright stupid.

Porter made the Pro Bowl yet again this season despite having just 56 tackles, a typical total for him. But he makes the occasional big sack, and as we've talked about here so often, that's what the Caste System goes for, the black athlete who can disappear for games at a time, but as long as he makes a highlight reel play now and then, his reputation is set.

Porter was shot in the ass leaving a Denver nightclub a couple of years ago. He claimed to be an innocent bystander. He also was tossed out of a game last season for fighting with another chronic troublemaker, RB William Green of the Browns, on the field during pregame warmups.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Porter was shot in the ass leaving a Denver nightclub a couple of years ago.&lt;!-- Message ''"" --&gt;

That is hilarious!
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's from Gene Collier's column in the 1/16 Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Can't find the link on the Internet, but here are the relevant parts re Manning's comments followed by my own:

The Colts had just seen another gloriously promising autumn gutted by the bleak realities of January. "I cannot argue with the truth," Manning said of his dark playoff history. "I'm not going to try to counter any point. All I can say is that it's not for any lack of effort on my part. I've never done more to prepare for a team. I can't tell you how much I studied these guys that last two weeks. Pittsburgh came in here and played better than us. It's hard to admit. It's hard to accept. But that's the truth."

The truth hit Manning nearly as hard as Joey Porter and James Farrior, who combined for four sacks in Dick LeBeau's masterstroke game plan. Manning's best scrambling came in avoiding direct criticism of his offensive teammates. He almost was too careful with that.

"I'm always asked after playoff games about other areas that I'm not maybe comfortable talking about," he said. "I'm trying to be a good teammate here. Let's just say we had some problems and give Pittsburgh credit."

Which he did, but he doubled back. He was agitated, but too poised to criticize his protection or the absence of recognition on the part of Indianapolis' offensive components. "I'm looking for the safe word here," he said. "Pittsburgh did some things that gave us some trouble. They put us in down and distances we're not usually in."

Sounds perfectly diplomatic to me. Note how Manning will get most of the blame, then the offensive line, but what about the receivers? Were they recognizing the heavy blitzing and making adjustments in their routes, coming back toward Manning? It's hard to believe Marvin Harrison with his two catches was, or the other prima donna, Reggie Wayne. They were involved only on those occasions when Manning had time to throw downfield.

And the coaching staff has to shoulder a lot of blame as well for failing to make adjustments. The Colts offense was better in the second half, but when the Steelers started blitzing heavily again in the fourth quarter, the Coltswere just as inept at picking up the blitzers as they were in the first half.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree with the coach not making any adjustments.Manning was getting killed out there.If it had been M.Vick in his place,the team & coach would have been blamed.They are blaming a two time MVP who didn't even have a chance to check his receivers.I feel kind of bad for Manning but I'm glad my Steelers won.Maybe it's karma for the way Stokley was treated all season.I hope the Colts get rid of Reggie Wayne & E.James.Then they can shore up their offensive line & sign Jesse Lumsden to be their primary running back.I know,it's a dream.