Chagaev to fight soon?

referendum

Mentor
According to fightnews.com Ruslan Chagaev is planning to fight in either December or January. Since his mandatory won't be later (right now between Valuev and Liakachev) in 2008, I'm guessing he'd like to fight a mid-level contender.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
This is good news. I was disappointed when I read a week ago that he wouldn't fight until May, but that was obviously an inaccurate report.

There is a rumor on ESB that he'll be fighting Taras Bidenko, who's ranked #4 by the WBA. Bidenko has less potential than some younger Ukrainian boxers such as Dimitrenko and Platov - he has some excellent boxing skills, but he doesn't have enough punching power. Still, I can't imagine much money being made fighting Bidenko, but Chagaev fighting someone like Michael Moorer, a former titleholder, would be even easier defense and be a better payday. I enjoy the white vs. negro fights more...

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Frank Warren's website and other sources are reporting that black British heavyweight Matt Skelton will fight Ruslan Chagaev for the WBA title, likely sometime in Jan 08.

Skelton used to be in MMA and has only lost once as a pro boxer. Despite being age 40, he's still a tough cookie and won't be an easy opponent for Ruslan.

Blue Devils

Mentor
Chagaev returns in February [url]http://www.fightnews.com/fightnews_2/headlines//EkkApEEylVnE bNXsHt.html[/url]

His opponent

c2995e4d52.jpg

Sean

Mentor
I just read this today. This is a great comeback fight in my opinion.