Caste Football Fantasy Football

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'm reposting this here because the NFL section gets a lot more views than the Announcements section. Let's have some fun this fall! If you've never played fantasy football before this is the perfect time to start in the relaxed, friendly atmosphere of Caste Football. C'mon let me hear from some of you. We havefour owners so far. We can do a lot better than that. Original post:

Become a charter owner of a Caste Football fantasy football team! We're going to start up an on-lineleague for the 2005 season, multiple leagues if the interest is there.

If you're already a fantasy football player you know what a fun hobby it is. If you're not, this will be a great way to give it a try as this will be friendly competition among Caste Football supporters. All it takes to get started is basic knowledge of current NFL players.

These won't be money leagues; the fee to join will be whatever it takes to pay for the on-line software to host the league, probably in the area of $15-25 a team. You can be in more than one league if you'd like. The only requirementis that you must be a registered user on the Caste Football discussion board and at least an occasional contributor.

Ifyou want to be part of Caste Football's fantasy football leaguespost on this thread or pm me.

Highwayman

I'll give it a go.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good deal Highwayman. Let's keep it going and get some more team owners.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
bump. I don't want this to slide too far down the NFL section. C'mon let's get some more owners! Dare to have some fun this fall with fantasy football!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I will give it a shot and see what happens. I've never done it before, but I'll try to have some fun with it and see what its like. I'll be good for a few laughs anayway, even if I don't do so well.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's our owners so far:

KD52171

cxt7

Col. Reb

Highwayman

Kaptain Poop

me

That's six, halfway to filling up our first league. Let's keep the volunteers coming. With a Col. and a Kaptain already on board, you can feel totally safe and secure playing in a Caste Football fantasy league!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
All right, Warrior. We're up to seven owners. Who's next?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Bump. This thread has quickly gotten buried due to all the posting going on in the NFL section. More owners are needed!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Don, I have a question about the fantasy football league. Can we pick anyone we want to be on our teams, or is their a draft for current players. I have no idea about this, so I'm sorry if it seems a stupid question. I want to play mostly white guys on my teams. It would also be cool if we could use guys from the past on it too.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Col. Reb, you can only use current players as how well the players you start do each week in the NFL determines whether your team wins or loses.

We're still stuck on just 7 owners. I don't want to hear any more talk about "how fast Caste Football is growing" when we can't even fill up a single fantasy football league. We need 12 owners and we need them very soon if we're going to have a league at all.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don, can you give some details on how points will be scored, e.g.
passing TD worth 4 or 6 pts? Any particular rules for waiver wire
pickups once the draft is complete, things like that?

I played ESPN leagues for 3-4 years in a row a few years back and
really enjoyed it. I was playing 3 teams at a time though, and with the
number and frequency of injuries in the league it was difficult to stay
on top of everything. Although I'd like to play again I don't want to
get in over my head.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I can't tell you the exact rules because I'm not going to set up an on-line league until I know we can fill one up with the required amount of owners, but basically the scoring system will be 6 points for passing, rushing and receiving TDs, with bonus points for longer scores. Also one point per reception. There might be other bonuses such as points for QBs that throw for 300+ yards, runners that rush for over 100 yards and receivers that have over 100 yards receiving, but that'll all be worked out after the owners are lined up. There will definitely be an active waiver wire each week.

The first league will be very basic. Subsequent leagues (which might not happen until 2006) can be keeper, dynasty andre-draft, and feature IDPs (individual defensive players). IDPs are becoming more and more the norm in fantasy, a good evolution in my opinion because it gives you the chance to build a team on offense and defense. I also like dynasty leagues, where you keep your entire roster from year to year and have rookie drafts after the NFL rookie draft each year.

This is for fun and entertainment, not for cut-throat competition (though it may develop into that eventually
smiley36.gif
). If you haven't tried it give it a chance, if you don't like it (highly unlikely) you can drop out after the '05 season. Also, looking ahead, if we can build up a bit of a fantasy sports arm in football, baseball and hockeyit can only help speed up Caste Football's development as an all-around sports site. Edited by: Don Wassall

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Ok Don, count me in.

That makes 8.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, Shogun. Who's the next patriotic American (or Canadian) to step forward as an owner?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Our first league is now filled up, subject to official confirmation from all the prospective owners. For more info on this and a second league we're trying to fill, see the Fantasy Sports section.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
For those of you that are doing the fantasy football thing this year, here is an article discussing players NOT to draft. It's pretty funny, as all of the players (except for a kicker) are black, and I happen to agree with the author almost wholeheartedly. I've pasted the player synopsis below, you can click the link to read the forward.

Here are some other players I won’t be drafting in any of my leagues this year, from highest overall ADP to lowest:
Chris Johnson — He cares about his craft the way I care what happens to any of those cows on the “Real Housewives†shows.
Adrian Peterson — Drafting him in the first round this year is like being T-boned at 40 mph and asking the guy in the body shop if you can get your car back tomorrow.
Ahmad Bradshaw — Four out of five podiatrists recommend not drafting him. (The fifth one doesn’t play fantasy football.)
Michael Vick — We know what he’s capable of. Still, it’s hard to spend a high pick on a quarterback who isn’t a particularly good passer.
Antonio Gates — (See Ahmad Bradshaw comment above.)
Vincent Jackson — After years of playing with Philip Rivers, he now will be trying to catch passes from a QB with accuracy problems. His new head coach really likes the running game. And, of course, he just got a big contract. That’s a toxic mix.
Beanie Wells — Whenever there’s a bet to be made against Beanie, I’m whipping out a Benjamin and buying a stack of chips
Kevin Smith — Oh, so he’s a draft bargain because he’s the only healthy, experienced, non-dope-smoking running back on the Detroit roster? If I gave my 6-year-old daughter and two of her friends a Fabergé egg to play with, the chances of the egg remaining unbroken would still be better than Smith’s chances of remaining unbroken. And, by the way, even though he gained 4.9 yards per carry last season on 72 rushing attempts, he’s still gaining only 3.9 yards per carry for his career.
Mark Ingram – His current ADP is RB33. Maybe he’d be worth it if he was stuck in a committee but had demonstrated legitimate NFL talent — or, conversely, if we weren’t sure about his talent but he had a chance to get a lot of carries. The reality is that he’s stuck in a committee and has failed to show compelling evidence of NFL talent.
Kenny Britt — I don’t mind gambling on injury-prone players, and I don’t mind gambling on trouble-prone players. But Britt, an exquisite combination of the two, is fantasy football’s version of Russian roulette.
Robert Meachem — It’s hard to figure out the perception that the move from New Orleans to San Diego does him a lot of good. It’s essentially a lateral move: He’ll have a somewhat larger role in a somewhat lesser passing attack. Meachem has teased us for so long, and now he’s going to finally deliver the goods while digesting an entirely new offense? And what if it turns out that Vincent Brown is a lot better?
Darius Heyward-Bey — The DHB phenomenon is fascinating. For two years, everyone pointed to him as a walking example of Al Davis’ senility. Then, Davis died, Heyward-Bey had a handful of decent games, and suddenly the DHB bandwagon exceeded maximum occupancy. Thanks, but I’ll just stand here and wait for the next bandwagon.
Randy Moss — Not sure which I’m looking forward to seeing more — the look on Randy’s face the first time Alex Smith underthrows him by 15 yards on a 9-route, or Jim Harbaugh’s reaction the first time Randy half-asses a blocking assignment. (Actually, I admit to having had mild interest in Moss until hearing that Harbaugh planned to put him on a snap count.)
Michael Bush — He’s getting some nice ADP respect after two solid years, but if the starter he’s backing up stays healthy for an entire season, Bush is basically worthless.
Santonio Holmes — It’s not that he’s overvalued at his current ADP, but sometimes one bad experience repels you forever. I’ll never again fly United Airlines. I’ll never again drink Southern Comfort. I’ll never again draft Santonio Holmes.
Josh Freeman — He reads defenses the way high school students read William Faulkner novels for English class: with an utter lack of comprehension.
David Akers — Because it’s never worth taking a kicker early, and because last year’s top kicker is never the next season’s top kicker. But you already knew that.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here's some more "advice" for you folks getting up and running with your fantasy leagues. Jock-huffer Brad Evans predicts that godlike RGIII will have better fantasy numbers than Peyton Manning. "RGIII has the skills to pay the fantasy bills" he says.

On a positive side, he predicts that Adrian Peterson is a bad pickup, that Toby Gerhart will carry the load, and that Andrew Luck and Colby Fleener will be a great tandem.

Enjoy! http://sports.yahoo.com/video/player/fnfl/Top_Pickups/30310627#fnfl/Top_Pickups/30310627