Calzaghe Says Hopkins a Racist

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
This is From Eastsideboxing.com:

Joe Calzaghe Calls Bernard Hopkins An Idiot, Racist - Say's He'll Not Give Him A Rematch

11.11.08 - by James Slater - While the fans and experts are debating what future Hall of Famer Joe Calzaghe will decide to do with regards to either carrying on with his great career or ending it, the fighter himself seems to have made up his mind. Claiming the temptation to fight on is not really there any longer, Calzaghe has been talking with U.K newspaper The Mirror. One thing Joe told the paper is a definite, is the fact that he will never grant Bernard Hopkins a return fight..

Hopkins, as fight fans know, very much wants a second go at the man who won a split decision over him back in April of this year. But according to Joe yesterday, the 43-year-old will not get what he wants.

Joe began by talking about how he feels it's time to walk away from the sport he dominated in for so many years.

"To be honest, I haven't loved boxing for a few years," Calzaghe admitted. "My dad has had to kick me up the a*** more and more every time I fight just lately. The motivation isn't there. When I fought Bernard Hopkins in April, I didn't train anywhere near as much as I should have trained. This one [Jones[ I did but only because my dad knows me so well and, 12 weeks ago, he took me aside and said that unless I sorted my self out, I was going to get my a*** kicked in this fight!"

So now that his love for the game has diminished, what will Joe do when he walks away from it, if he actually does, that is?

"Is the temptation always there to carry on?" Joe asked. "Not really, I think I'll walk away easily enough from boxing. My dad has got a great gym and I want to help out with that. I have got a promoter's licence now so I'll stay involved in a different way."

Calzaghe then turned his thoughts towards the man who so badly wants another go at him, Hopkins. Joe turned angry when speaking about the Philly legend.

"Screw Hopkins, man," the 36-year-old said "He got his a*** kicked by a white boy. He's got to accept that. He's an idiot, a complete a*******. I don't want to give him a rematch. It wouldn't be a good fight. The guy's a racist. He was never going to give me any credit. The way he fought me in Las Vegas was cowardly because he held on all night and feigned being hit by low blows. He tried to steal the fight."

So there it is; unless Calzaghe has a change of heart, and it does seem doubtful, Hopkins can forget all about his rematch. You can never say never in boxing, and it is still possible Joe will box at least once more. But one thing is clear, it will not be against Hopkins - who, ironically, is probably his only logical choice.

P-NutLane

Guru
Great stuff, LiverLips, Joe is my favorite athlete going, simply because he so clear enjoys beating up the bruvas. Then he tells it exactly like it is. NO pulled punches inside the ring or out.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Simply awesome. A great athlete with stellar credentials and tons of credibility finally tells it like it is.

Let's see how much flak he gets for merely calling Hopkins a racist.
smiley5.gif

Blue Devils

Mentor
I never believed Joe when he said he didn't think Hopkins was racist and he just made a stupid comment. Watch the Calzaghe-Jones match when Joe goes down Hopkins is jumping up and down like a cheerleader. He's two or three rows behind Joe's family. Kudos to Joe for saying this
smiley32.gif

icsept

Master
Beautiful. Calzaghe said what nobody else had the balls to say. There's no way he's gonna give that racist another payday. It's amazing how the media gave Hopkins a pass for his comments, saying that Hopkins was just playing head games. Now the loser is begging for a rematch. Calzaghe should offer a rematch if he gets 90% of the purse.

Sean

Mentor
It's great that Joe is so aware of this stuff, and not afraid to say it. He is quickly becoming one of my all-time favorite fighters.

This interview is also reason for him to not continue on and fight Dawson. If he doesn't feel like fighting anymore, he should definately stop, so he doesn't drop a fight to a lesser fighter.

I also seen a interview conducted of Calzaghe by the telegraph. The interviewer said to Calzaghe "how does it feel going to America to fight at the Mecca of boxing with all the excitement of the U.S. electing it's first black president. Calzaghe said that the election means nothing to him and that he does not want to talk about politics. The interview was conducted by the telegraph but for the life of me I am unable to find it again online.Edited by: aussieaussie31

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
The whole article is great but this really stick out to me.

"Is the temptation always there to carry on?" Joe asked. "Not really, I think I'll walk away easily enough from boxing. My dad has got a great gym and I want to help out with that. I have got a promoter's licence now so I'll stay involved in a different way."

Look forward to the UK to continue pumping out well rounded boxers!!

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
That's great that Joe called that clown Hopkins on his racism. Hopkins was in the crowd rooting for Jones on Saturday as well. What a prick that guy is.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
It really is funny how we can talk about this stuff so openly and casually yet others on mainstream sites and mainstream media find it so difficult to do...

It is absolutely refreshing to hear a white athlete defend himself and frankly state the obvious when it comes to a ******* like Hopkins. We all know here that Hopkin's comments to Calzaghe were not isolated, nor were they a prank to promote the fight. On saturday night, Hopkins enjoyed the first round and thereafter looked more and more aggravated and jealous. Too bad *******.

Way to go Joe, when you are 46-0 and have beaten everyone in your era you deserve to be heard.

Oh yeah, and by the way gentlemen, that showboating Calzaghe was doing was not just for RJJ, it was for Hopkins and all of his braindead homo homie losers. Edited by: Maple Leaf