BYU Cornerbacks

mattharper

Guru
BYU used to be the bastion for the white cornerback. It seems lately they are afraid to recruit or play any. Remember when they had 4.3 Brandon Heaney and 10.3 100 meter runner Nate Soelberg. I saw them play a couple of games back in the day and it was strange because they were playing zone the whole time. I know BYU has always been a zone team but most defenses use the zone to hide a lack of speed at the corner position. It would have been so nice to see Heaney and Soelberg playing bump and run. They probably would not have been beaten deeply to much.<div>Now BYU has 2 possible white corners that might play. One is rFR Kori Gaines and soph. Cole Herrmann.</div><div>I find it strange that a team has has 4 white tailbacks on the roster that will all play ( Folsom, Phillips, DiLuigi and Kariya ) that the well has seemed to dry up on them on recruiting white corners. </div><div>They recruited a corner in Rhen Brown as he has been mentioned here, but moved him to wr and he had a hell of a spring game. He is 10.7 100 m fast. I cant wait to see him line up with speedy McCay Jacobson on the outside and hopefully tear it up.</div>

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
BYU is one of the few schools that will give a white corner a chance. Soelberg was very fast but completely ignored by the NFL. I believe he now runs a speed school.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Appreciate the research and enthusiasm MH! Good to see BYU recognizing and recruitngathletes who happen to be white,but havethe talent to play D1 football as corners.