BYU Basketball 2006-2007

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU is currently 12-4 (2-0 MWC) heading into a 7PM Mountain time game at UNLV. It will be televised on "The Mountain." The win over TCU Wednesday proved the Cougars wouldn't suffer from the loss of "star" guard Rashaun Broadus. Austin Ainge stepped up his play and had 20 points, 6 assists, and 4 rebounds in starting that game at the guard position. BYU does now have a little less depth than before, but they are giving several guys minutes and they are doing a good job.

White starters are Ainge, Guard Lee Cummard (who sunshine has written about), Forward/Center Trent Plaisted (who had a double double the last time they played UNLV), and Guard Jimmy Balderson. One of the top bench players is Brazilian Jonathan Tavernari, who had 18 points against TCU. Since Broadus is gone, there is only one black on the roster, starting forward Keena Young.

It will be interesting to see how this team fares through the MWC schedule and whether they end up good enough to get into the NCAA Tournament.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU beat Utah by 10 in Salt Lake last night for the first win there since 1994. On the radio today I heard the local sports guys talking to people at the game and how BYU fans were taunting Utah fans. They had shirts that said "Harline's still open" and were shouting "put Weddle in" toward the end of the game. BYU has also been using their football success against other teams by chanting "Just-Like-Football" when they are wrapping up conference wins. I just thought I'd share that.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU is now 17-6 (7-2) after beating formerly MWC second place UNLV. BYU started their usual 4 white and UNLV started their usual 4 blacks, but the Cougs won 90-63, behind Head Coach Dave Rose's son Mike, who had a career high 27 points. He also tied his own school record 8 3 point baskets! Austin Ainge had 17 points and Trent Plaisted had 11 with 9 rebounds and a couple of nice blocks. The Cougars are now second in the MWC and if they can beat Wyoming and TCU next week, could be looking at a top 25 spot. BYU extended its home winning streak to 28, second longest in the country behind Gonzaga.

In other MWC news, Air Force crushed Wyoming 88-43. It was almost too ugly to watch. That was the biggest margin of victory in MWC history. Air Force has started 3 whites all season and is currently ranked 16th. I hope Air Force and BYU meet for the MWC title.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU (20-6) is now ranked 21 in the AP and 22 in the Coaches poll. This is the first time since 1993 that they have been ranked in the Top 25. I will be attending the Colorado State game tonight in Provo. It a big one for BYU in trying to clinch the MWC Championship outright. They have a 2 game lead in the conference with 4 games left. They do have to play at Air Force, but should be 3-1 through this final stretch. Hopefully they can win the MWC tournament and end up winning at least a game in the NCAA Tourny. We'll see, but its starting to get exciting!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
that's is awesome, Colonel! good luck to them. and tell me what you think about Jason Smith... CSU is supposed to be a one-man show, and he's the man.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Not the best game for BYU, but they won 76-67 over CSU. Guard Lee Cummard had the play of the game with about 3 minutes left. He got a steal and took it the length of the floor and dunked, ending a rally by CSU in which they cut their deficit to 7 points. Lee ended up with 20 points and 5 rebounds. Guard Austin Ainge had a good game with 13 points and 4 rebounds.

CSU's Forward Jason Smith had 20 points and 12 rebounds, his 4th straight double-double. Center Stuart Creason was the bench player of the night with 17 points and 3 rebounds. These two whites are the Ram's offense right now, and play very well with each other. Jason Smith played really hard and could do what he wanted to inside all night. He fouled out with 37 seconds left in the game.

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
BYU avenged its last loss which was to CSU. At this point BYu is probably in but they are now playing to upgrade their seeding. Hopefully they can move up into toe 5-7 range and do well in the tourny.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU lost yesterday to San Diego State, but Air Force lost too, to Texas Christian. That means the only way BYU can win the title outright is to win their last 2 games, at Air Force, and at home against Utah. I can't believe SDSU was able to beat them. From what I understand they got off to a fast start and BYU never caught up. I didn't have a chance to watch the game on TV. Well, it will be an interesting week ahead.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
For those of you who are blessed by having the stupendous network known as CSTV (add sarcasm here), you can watch BYU at Air Force in a battle for MWC supremacy at 7 PM Mountain time. For those of youfrom Rio Linda, thats in just over 20 minutes.
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
After losing to San Diego State last Saturday and falling out of the Top 25, BYU beats Air Force to own the longest home winning streak by themselves, with a chance to take it to 31 games at home against Utah on Saturday. BYU also takes a huge step toward winning the MWC outright. They can also do that by beating Utah Saturday. The Cougars will be the number 1 seed in the MWC Tourney in Las Vegas next week as well.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Congrats to the Cougars.Maybe they will eventually meet up with my U of A Wildcats.We play 2-3 whites at all times which is almost as good as your team.Chase is going to be a big NBA Star in another year.I'm really happy to see BYU playing so well.I hope they can go very deep into the tournament.
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
BYU are outright Conference Champs for the first time since 1988!
smiley32.gif
They buried Utah 85-62. Next up is the MWC Tourney in Las Vegas. BYU should be back in the top 25 next week.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
here's what continually confuses and frustrates me... in one of the whitest conferences in the country, where a team with only one black kid playing for them wins the conference championship, white athletes STILL get virtually no respect.
smiley5.gif

the Mountain West Conference has only one white athlete on the All-Conference first-team, Colorado State's Jason Smith. the only BYU player named to the first-team isKeena Young, who isthe ONLY black dude on the Cougars.

the other three members of the first-team are also black, for a total of four out of five. Ugh!

furthermore, only two members of the second-team All-Conference rosterare white: Jacob Burtschi from Air Force, and Trent Plaisted from BYU.

the third team has a slight majority of white athletes, with three total: BYU's Lee Cummard, UNLV's Kevin Kruger, and Utah's Luke Nevill. yuck.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That is pretty pathetic! I was wondering what the MWC teams looked like. Keena Young also won MWC Player of the Year. He's good no doubt, but there are plenty of whites who should be in the first and second teams. Unfortunately, the whitest MWC teams get less publicity than the blackest ones do. I wish they would hurry up and get The Mountain Network on Dish Network and Direct TV, then the rest of the country can see the whites at the top of the MWC.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I just heard that Austin Ainge is being hired by Southern Utah to be their assitant basketball coach.