Brock Bolen

G

they actually let this guy carry the ball in a freaking game he might be their best running back behind Michael Bush manI really feel like times are changing for the college football game . their are more and more players of the white ethnicity playing running back now more than in the last 10-15 years maybe just maybe the country is waking up to the fact that the majority of people who spend money and support the teams would like to see their own kind in postions of importance like running back. Maybe just maybe this might be the case or it could be to many brothas dieing beforew their time and getting locked up so they need some white boys to fill the void. LOL. By the way Brock Bolin plays for the louisville cardinals he had 5 carries gfor 52 yards i beleive against the Miami racist Hurricaines.Edited by: dolphin Jimmy

hedgehog

Mentor
dolphin Jimmy said:

they actually let this guy carry the ball in a freaking game he might be their best running back behind Michael Bush man I really feel like times are changing for the college football game .  their are more and more players of the white ethnicity playing running back now more than in the last 10-15 years maybe just maybe the country is waking up to the fact that the majority of people who spend money and support the teams would like to see their own kind in postions of importance like running back.  Maybe just maybe this might be the case or it could be to many brothas dieing beforew their time and getting locked up so they need some white boys to fill the void. LOL.  By the way Brock Bolin plays for the louisville cardinals he had 5 carries gfor 52 yards i beleive against the Miami racist Hurricaines. 

unfortunately he is a fullback!!

backrow

Hall of Famer
college football forum = college football teams

college football stars forum = individual players (yes including Brock Bolen)
smiley2.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I agree backrow. It seems like a several new posters look at only one thread and never realize we have sections for high school players and college players outside this thread. I know some of you are new, but open your eyes guys and explore the whole site! There are a lot of cool things on it!
smiley36.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i agree! both that Brock is good, and with backrow and the Colonel.
smiley32.gif
in fact, Brock has been mentioned already on the white running backs thread. continued best wishes to Brock!

and check out the site guys. there is a lot of info around here. welcome aboard, and make yourself at home!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sweet! Brock is one of our long time friends on the CF myspace page.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Brock's now going to be more than a Bolen ball

The Brock Bolen that University of Louisville football fans have become accustomed to seeing showed up in a practice this week.

Bolen was running the ball with defensive back Richard Raglin closing in at an angle, and the collision echoed in a way that made everyone at practice take notice.

"He hit me pretty hard," Bolen said, "but I think I might have won the battle."

Raglin, listed at 6 feet 2 and 198 pounds, didn't get up immediately as he shook off the effects of his meeting with the 6-foot 238-pounder.

Bolen promises to continue his penchant for punishing defenders, but he'll get a chance to add another dimension to his running repertoire this fall. The senior, U of L's top returning rusher with 456 yards last season, will go from a three-point stance at fullback to lining up at tailback. The adjustment, however minor, has him eyeing more carries.

"If you know the fullback position, you also have to know the running back position because there are some single-back sets and stuff like that," he said. "It's pretty much the same, but a little less blocking and a lot more carrying the ball."

That's good for U of L and bad for undersized cornerbacks when Bolen breaks loose in the secondary. Even after contact, he generally falls forward. He had only 9 yards in losses on his 88 rushing attempts last season.

"When I run the ball, I like to punish people so they don't try to hit me as hard or try to tackle me late in the game," he said.

Attrition at running back has left Bolen as the most experienced player returning in the backfield. Anthony Allen, who led the Cardinals with 696 yards rushing as a sophomore last season, transferred to Georgia Tech.

Bolen figures to start, with sophomore Bilal Powell and redshirt freshman Victor Anderson also splitting carries. Bolen likes the thought of standing upright and being able to get a clear view of the defense before the ball is snapped.

"He's handled the transition very well," offensive coordinator Jeff Brohm said. "He's a big, powerful back who can do a lot of things: catch out of the backfield, run the ball with power; he's very agile for his size; and he blocks well."

But it's his power that makes him stand out. U of L quarterback Hunter Cantwell recalled the 2006 game at Kansas State when Bolen bulldozed his way for his first rushing touchdown.

"Kansas State brought a triple blitz to the weak side, and I didn't check out of it," Cantwell said. "We ran it with Brock, and he still scored. He ran right through three blitzing guys.

"Brock is just a heck of a player; he's a tank out there. He's not going to run away. He's going to take everybody head on, and 99.9 percent of the time he wins that battle."

Bolen takes pride in his strength but wants to be viewed as a complete back. And there's a little burst behind his brawn. Just ask Rutgers. With Allen sidelined in last season's finale, Bolen rushed for 117 yards -- including a career-best 55-yard jaunt -- and two touchdowns against the Scarlet Knights.

"I'm not real fast straight ahead, but I feel I'm pretty quick," he said. "I think some people underestimate my speed sometimes."

link to article

brockbolen.jpg

Brock Bolen

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Great article Jimmy! Brock is one of my favorite players.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Great article! I think Bolen could end up having a Jacob Hester type season. Maybe with less yards, but a better YPC. If he can do this and run 4.65 or better at the NFL combine (I predict high 4.5s), he could earn a Hester type role in the NFL as a backup HB. But Bolen is a bit bigger than Hester and a better blocker, so he may end up being forced to be a battering ram in the NFL. Here's to hoping for the next Jacob Hester, this time in the Big East!

backrow

Hall of Famer
is he not playing today? i still haven't seen him after after two series?

blue_mentos

he split time with two other backs. none of them did well, as was the case with the whole offense. just an absolutely horrid performance by the cards O.

backrow

Hall of Famer
same story, he split time with 2 others, more or less even share of carries for all three, but one of them did real well. Brock scored on a pair of short runs, so at least he is the goalline back.

White Power

Mentor
Had a hell of a game getting tough yards up the middle. 23 carries for 105 yards with many short carries where the line was stacked against him. It is refreshing to see Bolen carry the load he reminds me of AlStott And Czonka in being able to carry the load at the position when the tough yards need to be made up the middle. I think Bolen will get drafted fairly high and have a chance to carry the ball in the pro's. He is really fun to watch play.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Brock is a very strong runner, no doubt. I hope he can have a great season and get the bulk of the carries from here on.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
It's tough to get your yards per carry up though with the way they are using him in short yardage. I haven't seen much of him yet, but he doesn't look to be getting any runs as a HB. He either runs as a FB without a lead blocker or in a single set backfield. Am I correct? I hope they can confuse the D a bit and mix it up and he can get his YPC up. This guy could be another Mike Alstott or Jacob Hester. I want to see these guys as HBs in the Pros.
smiley16.gif