Brian Mitchell South Africa

moose

Guru
Brian Mitchell is being inducted into the boxing hall of fame this year, I have never seen him fight. Has anyone seen any of his fights?

moose said:
Brian Mitchell is being inducted into the boxing hall of fame this year, I have never seen him fight. Has anyone seen any of his fights?
no but try www.ringsideboxingshow.com
smiley4.gif

white is right

Hall of Famer
Most of his fights were in foreign locations. He did have a two fight series against Tony Lopez that was broadcast on US television.

j41181

Master
I only read about this guy, and I can see why he is headed to the IBHOF, he is South Africa's greatest boxer. It's a shame I never saw any of his fights, let alone replays. I only heard of him a few years ago.

The Hock

Master
Mitchell was very good, and a real bright spot back in the dark days before the white boxing revival. Wish I could have made it down to Sacramento to see him fight Tony Lopez.

Blue Devils

Mentor
I've seen two of his fights against Alfredo Layne and Tony Lopez (rematch).

He won the title from Panamanian Alfredo Layne who stopped the great Wilfredo Gomez one fight before this one. Mitchell applied grinding pressure that eventually broke Layne down flooring him multiple times in the tenth round.

In the Lopez rematch, he boxed beautifully rolling and weaving under Lopez' shots coming up with his own perfectly timed left hooks and constantly peppering Tony with jabs. Their first fight was a controversial draw. It was held in Lopez' hometown of Sacramento but Mitchell being the true road warrior he was fought him again in Sacramento and thoroughly outclassed him.

Due to apartheid the WBA wouldn't allow him to defend his title in South Africa so he had to fight in the other guys backyard which explains his two draws to Lopez in Sacramento and Joe Rivera in Puerto Rico. He did take some non title matches in South Africa during his title reign.

Has the Junior Lightweight record of 12 title defenses.

He defended his title in the following countries: Puerto Rico,Panama,France,Spain,United Kingdom,USA and Italy 5 times.

He should have been in the hall years ago but it's always better late than never. A true great.

Erich Gliebe

Mitchell was an excellent fighter. Great stamina, durable, well-schooled, and tenacious. If I'm not mistaken, he even killed a man in the ring.
Edited by: Erich Gliebe