Boycott the nba again this year

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here is another reason I hate the NBA. Egotistical maniacs like Michael Jordan making outrageous claims.

<h2 ="title" property="dc:title">Jordan: 'I could have scored 100 points' in today's NBA</h2> By Kelly Dwyer</span></span>

ept_sports_nba_experts-354609003-1287086023.jpgymHPP7DD9Tyxy9Ea

In the buildup to the release of the NBA 2K11 video game, Chicago Bulls legend Michael Jordan (who is prominently featured in the game, and in the advertising hyping up the game), sat down with USA Today's Game Hunters blog to discuss Michael Jordan.

This snippet stood out:<blockquote>

How has the game changed from your playing days?
It's
less physical and the rules have changed, obviously. Based on these
rules, if I had to play with my style of play, I'm pretty sure I would
have fouled out or I would have been at the free throw line pretty often
and I could have scored 100 points.</blockquote>

Yeah.

Michael
Jordan's the greatest player ever. His presence on my hometown team is
the reason I do what I do for a living, and I'd be one of the dozens to
go broke in betting against him. But I'm betting against him. He
wouldn't have gotten 100. He needed overtime to make it to 69 points, once, and that was his career high.

And,
yes, in a league with a few more possessions per game, and in a world
without overt hand-checking, yes, Michael Jordan would have scored more
in this era than he actually did in the 1980s and 1990s.

But he wouldn't have scored 100. Why? Because Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game was an absolute farce.

[Related Video: Kobe drafts MJ to the Lakers]<a name="remaining-"></a>

Wilt was a 7-2 dominant force going up against a 6-10 backup center on the New York Knicks back in 1962. He was able to put up 63 shots and attempt 32 free throws mainly because the pace was so, so much faster back in that era, and because his Philadelphia Warriors team was intentionally fouling
the Knicks down the stretch in order to get Wilt the ball every time
down court in a contest that was a 16-point game at the end of the first
quarter.

It was an absolute joke of a "contest," and though Wilt
is to be commended for his brilliance, there's a reason why nobody has
come very close in the 48 years since Wilt's 100-point game.

[Related: NBA stars top 'all overrated' list]

The closest? Kobe Bryant(notes),</span> in a performance that I think was more impressive than Wilt's, mainly because he wasn't a man amongst boys (just an MVP-level performer, playing against a pretty crummy team in the Toronto Raptors),
and because 90 percent of his points came in competitive action. His
Lakers (beyond Kobe, they were very, very bad back then) were losing
through 2 1/2 quarters, and until the final couple of minutes, the
Lakers needed every one of Kobe's 81 points.

On top of that,
Bryant made 7-13 3-pointers on his way to 81. That's the quickest way
toward 100, these days, and Jordan was never much of a 3-point shooter
-- 29 percent career, when you take away the nearly 2 1/2 seasons Jordan
played with the shorter 22-foot 3-point line. Sure, hand-checks would
send you to the line more often, but that many times? Enough to get to
100?

It's OK to "just" be the best ever, MJ. It's OK to be the
all-around player you were. And it's OK to wonder if you could top
Kobe's 81. But 100 points? Who cares? Wilt's night was impressive, but
it was an aberration. A freak show. A gimmick, and not entirely the
proudest moment in this league's history (again, the Warriors fouled the
Knicks to get the ball back!).

It's OK, MJ. They're still making video games about you. Nobody's forgotten anything.

[Rewind: NBA player takes a swing at a record and misses]

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Jordan was one of the most overhyped, egomaniacal endorsement wh0res in Yo.B.A history. He's a world class primadonna & NOT the best of all time...that title belongs to one Larry "Legend" Bird (who bests Jordan in 4 of 8 major career stats...they're tied in 2 catagories & MJ had more PPG & steals).

Edited by: DixieDestroyer

MJ is an ego maniac. Kobe in his prime is right up there with Jordan as far as scoring goes. And Kobe is a better shooter. Kobe scoring 81 was very impressive. Could MJ do even that? Not sure.

As far as scoring feats go, the Eighties Celtics did something cool. One year, Kevin McHale scored 56 to set the all-time Celtics scoring record -- and then Bird scored 60 points not too long after that. He hit some tough tough shots that had the Hawks bench high fiving each other.

Bird could go for 70 or 80 if he wanted to or got hot. Plus he had the size to get easy shots or to get to the line 20 times a game. But a guy that could shoot like Bird and had the size of Wilt was Arvydas Sabonis. A prime Sabonis could get close. He could hit 22 or 25 free throws, hit four or five threes, have five or six dunks, some put backs and gimmes and he would be up to about sixty points. Then he could hit some hook shots, floaters, and fadeaway jumpers for the rest.

So if a forward could do that it would be a white guy (Bird). If a center could do it it would be Sabonis. But, I think the guy who could actually pull it off would be Pistol Pete Maravich. He actually scored 68 points in a game before fouling out with about two minutes left. Had he played another two minutes and gotten a few more points he would have scored more points than anyone not named Wilt (until Kobe). Plus, that was before the three point line. In today's league he would get the star calls and would not be subjected to hand checks. Pistol Pete could create his own shot which puts him up there with MJ and Bird, but he was a great outside shooter like Bird, and had a gunner mentality like MJ.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
Jordan was one of the most overhyped, egomaniacal endorsement wh0res in Yo.B.A history. He's a world class primadonna &amp; NOT the best of all time...that title belongs to one Larry "Legend" Bird (who bests Jordan in 4 of 8 major career stats...they're tied in 2 catagories &amp; MJ had more PPG &amp; steals).

I agree Bird was the better overall player. Jordan was a better scorer but Bird could do it all.

j41181

Master
Okay, I think someone stated this already (from YouTube), I'll just re-comment it again...

Larry Bird is 23-11 vs. Jordan, and he swept him twice in the playoffs ('86 & '87). Bird also outscored Jordan in 1/3 of the games they faced off, remarkable considering Bird was the Celtics play-maker and thought pass first. Nobody dominated Jordan like Larry Legend.

His Airheaded-ness' defense is overrated (DEF rating ranks 120th overall), while Bird's DEF rating ranks 88th overall. Bird shut down opponents better than Jordan.

In his book, Larry Bird mentions how in a game against the Utah Jazz he had a triple double and 9 steals in three quarters but sat out the fourth quarter. Had he played the fourth quarter he could have gotten another steal to have one of only a handful of quadruple doubles in NBA history. 11 steals is the NBA record. Had he played the fourth quarter and gone after stats he could have probably gotten a couple of more steals, a few more assists and rebounds, and 10 more points. Could MJ have done that?

j41181

Master