Bobby Czyz

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Bobby Czyz used to be on free TV all the time when I was growing up in the early 80s. Had a great career, beat lots of blacks and was champ at both light heavyweight and cruiserweight.

Had a tough run lately, with a car crash that almost killed him, a messy divorce and losing his Showtime analyst job because of drunk driving (I believe he is an alcoholic).

By the way, Czyz is another Polish-Italian hybrid like Joe Montana, Dan Marino and Kelly Pavlik. When these two great European bloods mix it is a potent combo!

ESB has an article today that is very good and worth your time:

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19486&more=1

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Yes Czyz was a great fighter. I believe he was from the north Jersey area where I live.

I don't think Pavlik is Polish or Italian. I am pretty sure he is Czech.Edited by: whiteathlete33

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Czyz is from Wanaqua, NJ.

I know Kelly is part Italian. I figured with a name like Pavlik he was Polish as well.

Westside

Hall of Famer
I remember following Czyz career on free tv during the 80's. He was great fighter, but his career could have been much more. His career was derailed by alcoholism. He was a slave to the bottle. He best weight should have been middleweight or super middlewieght. He lacked discpline as do all alcoholics, so he balloned up to light heavyweight and beyound. Subsequently, he was given multiple beat downs. The last being against 605 245 lb Corrie Sanders of all people. WTF! Its a shame how some people are short changed or ruined by the drink.

The Hock

Master
Bobby must be kind of a mess. He retired at one point and had surgery to restore the bridge of his boxer's nose, then came back and got it bashed in again. Decided he was a heavyweight, got knocked out in two by Corrie Sanders, and said afterwards he was surprised by Sander's speed, as if he hadn't bothered with tapes. Then he got convicted of burglery on some dumb ass break-in (likely booze inspired). Got he showtime gig. Lost that on the DUI. That ol' bottle can cancel out the straight A student Mensa qualifications.

He could fight, though. Won handily in a crossroads against Robbie Sims. On Bobby's way down Andrew Maynard tried to use Czyz as a stepping stone, and Czyz ruined him.

Here's to Bobby sobering up.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Yeah The Hock, I forgot about him "always" mentioning or telling anyone with the ability to hear that he was a "Mensa" member! I don't mean to dump on Bobby, but he was a character. I could have swore on one Chavez fight he was working, he was intoxicated. You know, red/watery eyes, slurred speach and burbing! Bobby gave you so ammuntion to bag on him.

Like I said earlier, a wasted career. Sorta like Corrie Sanders, whereas Corrie was lazy and had dillusionings of being a top pro golfer, Bobby drank too much which cuased laziness and added to dead brain cells. How unfortuneate.

moose

Guru
pavlik is a slovakian name, he is part slovak. I did not know I was a potent combo with my last name being italian and my maternal grand father was polish, thankyou liver lips

white is right

Hall of Famer
Bobby was a favourite of mine in the mid 80's. He never got the huge fight that he wanted. He was about one good win away from a Tommy Hearns fight. I remember after Marvin retired there was talk of a comeback fight for Czyz's IBF belt. The Prince Charles Williams fight put his career in a tailspin, and the Maynard fight resurrected his career. His problem with drinking though has basically wrecked his life. I know when he retired after losing and looking badly in some wins against other faded fighters he opened a restaurant and was rumoured to be drinking away his wine cellar. His drinking has been so bad that he has his drivers license suspended for about 40 years.Edited by: white is right

Westside

Hall of Famer
WIS your right that Prince Charles Williams fight started the slide. I remember watching that fight. It was an exciting fight. Bobby was dominating,knock him down and had Williams on the verge of being KO'd. But Williams recovered and layed the hammer on Bobby and KO'd him.

j41181

Master
That Bobby Czyz dude was fun to watch. He was one of the few white guys in the late 80's and early 90's who knew how to bash the black dudes. Another victim of over drinking, just like Gerry Cooney, and the great George Best (soccer). I'm sure glad today's white fighters are not into alcoholic drinking, save for Ricky Hatton.