black coaches

hedgehog

Mentor
Looking at how the playoffs are shaping up, we could be in for some non-stop drooling-dribble from the media about the success of black coaches. The exact kind we heard when there were 3 black quarterbacks in the pro-bowl and 2 black quarterbacks in an NFC championship game.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
at least the black coaches (save for maybe denny green) are more adept at starting white players, whereas some of the white ones (tice, sherman, holmgren, etc.) are some of the biggest caste system supporters. This is also true about black football analysts. The black analysts will give white players their due, while the self-hating whites have bought into the myth of black althletic superiority that it is almost considered a cardinal sin to praise a white player. I saw this a few days ago on ESPNEWS where the black analyst praised Joe Jerevicius as a #1 reciever where as the white one was like "well I dont know if I would consider him a #1 guy" Truly a caste system supporter in the worst possible way

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
As long as white players are doing well and getting the time they deserve, I could care less about the coaches skin tone.

hedgehog

Mentor
I agree with everyone's commentsthat responded to this post, and harbor nothing against the black coaches. My criticism was directed at the media. I just get tired ofthe media constantly repeating this stuff like they didwith the quarterbacks.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I don't see any difference between black head coaches and white ones, as far as the number of white starters and overall roster breakdown. The Jets, Bengals andCardinals are all among the blackest teams. The Bearshave few white starters.The Colts have an all black defense and phased Stokley out of the offense this year. The Browns have more whites this year but are in the beginning of a rebuilding phase. Two or three seasons from now they could as black as the others. No one is going to be hired as an NFL head coach who isn't committed to the Caste System.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point Don. If the coach is black or white and is supporting the Caste System, he should be criticized.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Sometimes I'm not so certain that white announcers and sports casters in the media have bought into the caste system per se, in that they believe white athletes are not as good as black ones, but more that they don't want to be perceived as 'racist.' So, they refrain from making any kind of what might be considered controversial remark about a white player who's success hasn't already been 'determined.'

For example, if a white announcer labels Jurevicius as a #1, since he isn't already 'established' as a number one receiver, some one behind the scenes might remark that he is making said comment merely to boost JJ because he IS white. Yes, I know, black athletes do the same thing all the time - the hype around M.V. more than evidences that fact. But blacks are still given a pass when it comes to that type of commentary, whereas whites are not.

I think perhaps it is a combination of both accession to the myth of black athletic superiority and fear of being labeled a 'racist,' which keeps the white media from acclaiming white athletes the way they deserve.

backrow

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
I think perhaps it is a combination of both accession to the myth of black athletic superiority and fear of being labeled a 'racist,' which keeps the white media from acclaiming white athletes the way they deserve.

that is spot on!