Best Selling Jersey in China?

Bart

Hall of Famer
I was shocked to read it was not Yao's. McGrady and Iverson are more popular. Just goes to show the incredible effect hype has on people. When I talk to kids, none of them cares a at all about Nash and Nowitzke, only Kobe, AI, McGrady and so on.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11117055/
NEW YORK - A Houston Rockets player has the top-selling jersey sold in China.
Not that player, the other one.
Tracy McGrady's fans expressed their love at the Beijing airport in August.
Tracy McGrady tops the list of best-selling NBA player jerseys in China, based on sales from retail locations across the country as of November 2005, the league announced Monday. Philadelphia 76ers guard Allen Iverson is second and Houston center Yao Ming is third.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
But who would they want to marry their daughter?

jaxvid said:
But who would they want to marry their daughter?

Excellent observation. It wouldn't surprise me in the least, if Japanese basketball fans percieve black players meerly as "athletic-livestock", and not people. After all, Japanese culture is probably THE most xenophobic and racist of them all. They view black players the same way a horse-racing enthusiast has a favorite thoroughbred. They like the horse for whatever reason, but they obviously realize that they are not "equals".

Either that or the Japanese are just suffering from "Godzilla Syndrome". lol But thats just my theory.