Best caste line of first AAU tourney

Black ref to me at halftime, "Your guards are deceptively fast!"

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
smiley36.gif

GLS, would you mind sharing more info about your AAU team? being on the front lines of the caste system as a volunteer coach, i'm sure you have several examples/stories to share. and i, for one, would certainly be interested in hearing them.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I would like to hear them as well.

Well, there are a few of 'em, so here's a start. After the game where the ref said "deceptively fast", I texted a coach who wasn't at the tournament knowing he'd get a kick out of it. He and I have been quoting a D1 coach for the last few years, a guy who at a big July national tournament said "John Smith [a white kid, who played for my buddy, a black guy] is deceptively athletic." This after seeing him breakdown big-time guards, slither past athletic wings and score over high-major centers. And there was really nothing deceptive about it -- he just went from the top of the circle to the rim. A high-up shoe company guy was running that tournament. Black dude, but has had more white stars in his program than Coach K. I told him about "deceptively quick" and he laughed, "yeah, because he's white!"