Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Artur "The Pin" Szpilka
Born: 1989-04-12
Birthplace: Wieliczka, Poland
Southpaw Height: 6′ 4″ / 193cm
Boxing Record: click

http://www.boxingprospects.info/1/post/2012/03/artur-szpilka.html

In the last few years Poland has become a real threat in the boxing world with one of it's emerging stars being Heavyweight hopeful Artur Szpilka (15-0, 11) who is quickly earning a reputation as an exciting youngster with a fun style and dynamite in his hands.

Szpilka found his way into the sport in a rather unique way, being spotted brawling amongst football fans as a teenager. His raw talent was picked up on by a boxing trainer who offered Szpilka a different way to get the aggression out of his system and soon afterwards the youngster began fighting in the ring. Aged 15 Szpilka quickly impressed in the amateur scene back in Poland running up a reported record of 102-5 and winning a national title aged just 18. As well as impressing in Poland Szpilka also impressed on the international stage winning Silver at the 2005 European Cadet Championships and reaching the Semi Final of the European Olympic Qualifications for the 2008 Olympics. Of his losses we know 2 came at the hands of Vitaliy Kudukhov the very talented Russian and one to Olympic Silver medal winner Viktor Zuyev.

After missing out on the 2008 Olympics Artur Szpilka turned professional and debuted in October of that year out pointing German fighter Senol Cente over 4 rounds. Despite dropping Cente twice in the bout he couldn't close the show and instead had to go the schedule. The following month Szpilka returned to the ring and stopped Hungarian Mihaly Nemet in 2 rounds dropping him 3 times in the opening stanza.

The following year Szpilka added 3 wins to his record (2 by KO) to move to 5-0 (3) and seemed set to fight on the under-card of Tomasz Adamek v Andrew Golota however Szpilka was arrested at the weigh-in and would be out of action for almost 2 years as a result. Whilst in prison Szpilka would realise what he was missing out on and dedicated himself to boxing and bulking up in the process and when he returned to the ring in June 2011 he looked a much bigger fighter having put on some 40lbs. Szpilka returned to the ring and despite looking heavier he also looked impressive taking out the previously unbeaten Ramiz Hadziaganovic inside a round on his return. A month after beating Hadziaganovic we would see Szpilka making his US debut and stopping David Williams inside a round.

In October 2011 Szpilka would take a significant step up in class and face former world title challenger Owen Beck, an experienced professional who had been around the block and knew the sport well. Szpilka would stop Beck in the 4th round winning all 3 of the previous rounds before forcing the stoppage in a relatively restrained performance by the Polish fighter who showed a lot of respect to Beck's experience. The following month Szpilka would face David Saulsberry and in a less restrained performance that saw Szpilka controversially given a count before battering Saulsberry in the second round in a less than impressive performance.

Szpilka's swiftly blowing out Terrance Marbra (6-2, 5) inside a round and bounced Gonzalo Omar Basile (54-7-0-1, 25) around the ring before stopping him in 4. Following those 2 quick wins Szpilka was given his toughest test as he was forced to go 10 rounds for the first time in his career by American Veteran Jameel McCline who inflicted a small cut on Szpilka's left eyelid and refused to fold when he was caught by a number of solid shots.

2013 has began with the most interesting, and sadly most worrying fight of Szpilka's career so far. Despite stopping American veteran Mike Mollo with a truly eye catching shot in the 6th round, Szpilka left numerous question marks about himself. Prior to stopping Mollo, Szpilka was down twice (once each in rounds 1 and 4) and had looked incredibly vulnerable leaving major questions about his durability and defense, both issues which may limit his long term potential. Things weren't really helped when a bout with Taras Bidenko was ended due to an injury to Bidenko's leg.

Adding a decision victory over Brian Minto to his record recently may look good on paper but the performance has again left question over Szpilka's long term potential as he's started to look more and more limited.

Despite just being 23 years old Szpilka is one of the most promising heavyweights out there and one of the most exciting due to his aggressive mindset and hard hitting style. At 6'3" he's not the tallest of heavyweights and his fighting style also makes him look smaller though he is very explosive and win...or lose Szpilka is going to be very fun to follow. Especially on the back of the Mollo fight, an early contender for Fight of the Year already.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Szpilka has a fun style but he will not be a champion. At 226 he is too small to compete with the likes of guys like Fury, Price, Pulev, Helenius and others likely to take over after the Klitschko era.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/spilka-kos-mollo-again-in-rematch-219526

Szpilka KOs Mollo again in rematch

By Sam Geraci at ringside

Undefeated heavyweight Artur “The Pin” Szpilka (16-0, 12 KOs) again knocked out “Merciless” Mike Mollo (20-5-1, 12 KOs) in their rematch. Szpilka looked to be on the verge of stopping Mollo in round three, but then Mollo dropped Spilka with a desperation left hook, then staggered Spilka again later in the round.

The bout ended in round five when Szpilka laid out Mollo in round five with a straight left and the bout was stopped. Time was 1:41. The referee for the bout was changed to Gerald Scott earlier in the day at the request of the Mollo camp after Celestino Ruiz was originally assigned by the Illinois Commission. Ruiz had refereed their first fight.

Gif of the KO here:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-vwG4jKjUw_8/Ug7iidADjWI/AAAAAAAAqtg/Y0jA55rEYvA/s1600/1.gif

Video of Szpilka-Mollo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzlHcRiIMbg&feature=youtu.be

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Szpilka has a fun style but he will not be a champion. At 226 he is too small to compete with the likes of guys like Fury, Price, Pulev, Helenius and others likely to take over after the Klitschko era.

He's tough, dedicated, and has nice speed and skills but he should be taking guys like Mollo out without getting knocked down.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He's tough, dedicated, and has nice speed and skills but he should be taking guys like Mollo out without getting knocked down.
The rematch looked about the same as the first fight. Infact watching the rematch I wasn't sure if I was watching the first fight mislabeled. :scared: I tend to agree with the posters he looks too small to compete against the elite of the division. Mollo is essentially a blown up cruiser, future champions should be able to have a much easier time with a guy with Mollo's style considering his size.

werewolf

Hall of Famer
If they're saying Szpilka is "too small" - 6'5", 233 lbs.! - it just shows how very badly boxing needs a superheavyweight division because where does that leave guys whose natural weight is just over 200? Anyway, he's only 24 and this was just his sixteenth fight.

Great fight night - one of the best ever. I can't believe those stinking boxing crooks wanted to trot out the same phony referee to dog Mike Mollo again, though. Unbelievable. I forgot about his shenanigans in the first fight until I saw the replay. Much as I'm down on him, Atlas did a good job of pointing them out - except the stuff about the commission ought to investigate that referee. Ha ha, that's like Barry Soetoro alias Dunham, Obama etc. investigating the NSA and the IRS etc etc etc. The boxing mobsters have no shame either. They always had their in house referee Randy Neuman dogging Golota. I don't know why he didn't protest like Mollo did. I had to root against Mollo because of his stoopid hair-do. He's one tough guy though. He's had his troubles with Polacks!

;-)

Last edited:

werewolf

Hall of Famer
And, oh yes, it was nice to see the fine sportsmanship of the two White men after the fight, as opposed to the simian posturing of all the cassius clays and trayvons.

I thought at first that maybe the ref might have let it continue as Mollo was up at ten, but I guess not. I don't think Mollo protested at all, tho they showed the replay of the knockdown a lot but not the count.

The negro replacement ref was pretty good, unobtrusive the way a ref should be, not like the loud mouthed, Celestino Ruiz, that they wanted to put in there again