Appreciating the Double!

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Some of my favorite players right now are Justin Morneau, Adam Lind, Brian Roberts and Colby Rasmus - because they can hit the long ball, but they also have a bunch of all-important doubles! They can do multiple things with the ball... they aren't one-trick-ponies.

All-time career doubles list:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/2B_career.shtml

Highlites for me mostly involve the modern era:

1--Craig Biggio's 668 career doubles

2--Chipper Jones' 463 doubles. Will he reach 500?

3--Todd Helton's 492 doubles. He will reach 500 soon. A phenomenal hitter.

4--Brian Roberts' 290 doubles (28 of them so far this season). He should get quite a few more doubles in his career.

5--Scott Rolen's 434 doubles. Does this man know how to rake or what?

6--Justin Morneau is not on that career list yet (he will be soon). He currently has 181 doubles.

7--Sad to see Larry Walker come up short of 500.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Helton has been the best double hitter of the past decade. He hit an amazing 59 in his monster career year in 2000, then followed that up with 54 the next season. He's had two other seasons with 49 doubles.

Lyle Overbay hit 54 doubles in '04, but hasn't lived up to the promise of that season since.

Earl Webb's record of 67 doubles has lasted since 1931. One of the most unbreakable records is Chief Wilson's 36 triples in 1912. Few players get even halfway to that mark.

ArizState03

Agreed about that triples record being unbreakable. The ballparks are bandboxes compared to what they used to be back then. Judging by how deep Yankee Stadium used to be to dead center and the power alleys, I'm surprised these guys weren't hitting more triples and inside the park home runs.

jsc381.png

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
500 doubles for Todd Helton.
smiley32.gif

I think he needs around 575 to have a shot at the Hall of Fame (being White and all).

Deadlift

Hall of Famer

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Jayson Werth already has 20 doubles in only 134 ABs.

Considering the fact that his career-high is 26 doubles (which occurred last season), this current tear is amazing.

icsept

Master
The first name that came to my mind was George Brett - turns out he's 6th all-time. He used to stretch singles into doubles if an outfielder didn't charge the ball hard enough. He also had 20 triples and 42 doubles in the same year.