Another white player ignored

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Passed on to me by a reader:

Note the kid runs, kicks, is a baseball and basketball star. Can't use that kind of talent at a major school!

Elsworth chooses Western
GOODRICH
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Tuesday, January 25, 2005
By Keith Morris
kmorris@flintjournal.com - 810.766.6184
If Kirk Elsworth has anywhere near the success he had at Goodrich, Western Michigan University might want to rename its end zones the Elsworth Zone.

After one of the best seasons by a running back in state history, Elsworth will look to continue his football success with the Broncos. Elsworth, who ran for 2,867 yards and scored a state-record 52 touchdowns as a senior, has verbally committed to accept a football scholarship to Western Michigan.

Although he drew interest from several smaller schools, the only other Division I school that appeared ready to offer the 6-foot, 205-pound standout a scholarship to play running back was Western Illinois, which is Division I-AA.

"It was a little frustrating," Elsworth said of the lack of interest from the nation's larger schools. "I thought I had a good year and thought I'd have a few more offers. But I got offers to play the position I wanted, so it worked out for the best."

The Class B All-State running back and The Journal's Player of the Year had more schools interested in him as a defensive player after a strong prep career at free safety. But it was in the offensive backfield where Elsworth made headlines.

"Everybody and their brother was interested in him on the defensive side at strong safety or outside linebacker," said Goodrich coach Tom Alward. "But he really wants to carry the football and Western Michigan wanted just that.

"I think it's an excellent fit with new (coach Bill Cubit) coming in. They want a physical, athletic back who can pass protect, catch the ball, carry it 20-25 times a game and get them the tough yards and be able to break it. And that's Kirk."

Elsworth finished just 23 yards shy of the state single-season rushing record despite limited carries because he was seldom used at running back in the second half of the Martians' many blowouts. He averaged 10.9 yards per carry on only 263 attempts.

Elsworth was also Goodrich's kicker and punter and he shattered the state single-season scoring record with 379 points - 73 more than anyone has ever scored.

He set Genesee County records with 5,819 career rushing yards and 94 touchdowns and finished tied for third in state history with 632 career points.

Elsworth, who also plays basketball, is a star centerfielder on the baseball team and runs track, has a 3.0 grade point average and plans to major in sports medicine.

speedster

Mentor
Isn't this exactly what we have been talking about on this message board.The kid is athletic,he can run,he's an all-around athlete,but that is not good enough for the football factories,they need to make him intolinebacker.The typical position for a white RB coming out of high school.Forget about safety,they would probably say he's too slow.Man,this just burns me,makes me want to scream.I think I will.But before I do that,the kids numbers are eye-catchers,particularly the 52 touchdowns! Okay,now I'll scream!
smiley7.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
No it's not a echo.I second that scream.Hopefully as this
site continues to grow into the 100's and then thousands,
we will help educate america as to what's going on.How
many kids lose scholarships until then?Let's get the
ball rolling and get the word out!

surfsider

Guru
AARRRRRGGGGH!!! Yeah, "they" would say he's too slow etc...but "they" never have to. Most sports writers are too indoctrinated to raise such questions. It wouldn't have to be raised in a racial context but along the lines of "Hey coach why doesn't Elsworth rate a look at running back?"

On the topic of speed, it seems the black Div. 1 running back prospect can't help but run at least a 4.5 whereas a white RB will always be the dreaded 4.6 or worse. Aside from thinking that the stopwatch is only a part of the story, I can't help but feel that some folks are getting too much benefit of the doubt regarding the the rounding up or down of 40 times. I wonder how Elsworth's track times compare to all the fellows getting Div. 1 scholarships at the skill positions. My guess is that he would probably be solidly in the middle.

kevin

Guru
here is an interesting fact, everyone talked about how terrel suggs had 4.5 forty speed as a defensive end, and when he entered the combine turnes out he runs a 4.8. he took it three time and his best time was 4.75. so all these media guys started say well the combine doesen't mean anything it is all about results. Now brock foresy (who wasn't invited to the combine) probably runs abouta 4.6 forty, and everyone kept sayingf he can't amke it in the nfl even though his numbers where great at boise state. i beliweve this is hipocrictical of the media to say these things.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's a very good point Kevin.It's great to see your
knowledge of what is going on.We all know how different
white athletes are treated by coaches,fellow players,
scouts,fans,and of course the media.

surfsider

Guru
In reading another article on Elsworth mention was made of Reggie Benton. He was cited as that areas single season rushing record holder with 1995 yds. He did this in 1999. He had 29 TDs that year and averaged 8.8 yds. a carry. Benton was listed as 6'1 and 205.
Elsworth, at 6' 205, rushed for close to 900 yds. more, nearly double the TDs and averaged 2 yds. a carry more.All that and Elsworth gets one mid-level Div. 1 shot at running back. Benton by contrast committed to Michigan but owing to academic problems spent 2000-01 at a prep school in Virginia and then got a scholarship to Purdue. He didn't last though. In one of his first August morning practices at Purdue he had to leave early...quote "I'm not really a morning person..."