Andrey Yepishin

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I just wanted to start a thread about Russian Sprinter Andrey Yepishin.He has had a great year with two silver medals in major championships.He took 2nd in the World Indoor Championships and got another silver recently in the European Championships.He has now raised his personal best to a stellar 10.10 seconds in the 100 meter dash.He is so close to the magical number that has been a huge barrier to many.He next competes next weekend in Birmingham,England at the Norwich International.I'm hoping for another p.b. and maybe even a sub 10.Without having to run rounds,he can go all out in his race.Good luck to him.

albinosprint

Mentor
he was got such a great start, but his deceleration is just to rapid. at 80m he tightens up to much! I think with not running the heats, decent weather and the right competition, he can break 10.

freedom1

Mentor
Yeah, I was just looking at his profile on Yahoo Track. He's progressed very nicely this season. He's ready, his time is now. The track gods need to remove the curse from white sprinters and provide this guy with some ideal conditions. If a relaxed, well rested Yepishin can get that same start on dry, fast track, he'll definitely achieve a major breakthrough.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
It's kind of cool that Borzov is usually mentioned as the greatest white sprinter of all time.It would be kind of neat to see another Russian become the first to go sub 10!I love these athletes from Russia.Whether it's Boxing,Tennis,Football,Weightlifting,Track,etc, they don't back down from anyone.They are fearless.I want to see many more male sprinters rise up from there.Remember guys,Russia lost over 20 million people in World War II alone.Think of all of the possible potential athletes.What a travesty.They are still trying to recover from that war.I will say this though.They have some of the finest athletes in Europe.The Russian Women are flat out dominant.I'm waiting for the men to catch up.Andrey Yepishin will be a shining star for the kids to look up to.Good luck to him next weekend.
smiley32.gif
Edited by: white lightning

white lightning

Hall of Famer
There is a discussion going on at the trackandfieldnews.com message board about whether A.Yepishin will ever run a sub 10. It seems that most of the posters are being negative so far. It's typical of the criticism that all of these white sprinters face.People laugh at the thought of them being world class.I hope Andrey continues to shock them all.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
If you guys have trouble with the link,just go to the Iaaf.org website.Then click on forums.Now go to the category called Champions Corner at the top of the page.It should be one of the first threads.I hope you guys enjoy this interview.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thankyou for posting the interview on the front page Don.We need to educate more people about the up and coming sprinters who are having success.I am very proud of Yepishin and I belive he will acheive even greater success in the next couple of years.Congratulations again to A.Yepishin.

freedom1

Mentor
I don't know how the selection process works for various meets, but I think Yepishin needs to contest his skills on faster tracks. In his last big meet in England he placed 4th at 10.44 with the first place time being 10.39 (cold weather, negative wind). That's 5 hundredths of a second between 1st and 4th. In other words, he was right there with a world class pack. In his last meet in Zurich, Asafa Powell burned another 9.77. The 4th place finisher in that race, Marcus Brunson recorded a 9.99. That's 22 hundredths of a second difference between 1st and 4th. What I'm saying is, if Yepishin would've run in Zurich, he could've easily gotten pulled to a sub 10 and achieved an important psychological breakthrough. So what if he would've gotten burned by Powell. Powell is burning everybody this year.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That's a great point freedom1.Even Andrey states in his interview that his times vary vastly according to the wind,temperature and a few other factors.Just the fact that he races in Russia alot & Northern Europe has to keep the weather very cold for sprinting.That is why Athens sees so many records there.The altitude and the very warm weather.The tracks surface can also make a little difference in the times.The track in Atlanta that MJ set the world record in the Olympics was said to have to hard of a surface to even be legal.This helps make for very fast times.I'm sure that Andrey will be just fine with another year of training.I'm hoping though that he can maybe get another p.b. at the World Challenge in Athens representing Russia.Who knows,maybe he will go sub 10 there!I like the attitude of this kid!

freedom1

Mentor
Yepishin and Osovnikar to compete in hot Zagreb 100 field tomorrow that includes Francis Obikwelu

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yepishin only has two or three races left including tommorow.He really needs another solid time to shut up some of his skeptics.It will not be easy though as most of the sprinters at this point of the season are very tired.I will still say if the weather is good,he runs in the 10.15 range.Matic will probably be in the 10.2 to 10.3 range.I wish I could watch this race!Who knows,maybe Andrey won't be caught this time.I would love to see him beat F.Obikwelu.

freedom1

Mentor
I see Yepishin did not do well in Zagreb. Anyone know what the story was? It looked like all the times were slow, probably not very good conditions.

He needs to rest up for the big Sep 16th meet in Greece.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matic wasn't that impressive either.Matic is racing too much.He races again this Sunday.He is just exhausted and could end up getting hurt.I don't know why Yepishin looked so bad.He might have had an slight injury or something as that was his slowest time of the year.He has two weeks though to get ready for Greece.If he is going to come close to ten seconds again,it will be there becaue of the perfect conditions for sprinting.There have been alot of records set down there over the years.Good luck to Andrey and Matic.They have both had solid seasons and they can build on that going into next year and the World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I'm looking forward to the last major track meet of the season next weekend in Greece.The IAAF World Cup will be on September 16th to the 17th.Andrey Yepishin will be racing for Russian in the 100 meters against the best sprinters in the world.With the right competition,I can see him possibly being pulled to another personal best.With perfect conditions,a sub 10 is even possible.Let's hope he has got enough rest and is ready to rock and roll.I can see Wariner running another sub 44 also.It's an excellent track for sprinting.It's too bad Macrozonaris can't be there.Maybe soon he will be running for Greece.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Let's have some predictions for Andrey Yepishin in the 100meters this weekend.I will start and go with a time of 10.15!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
The race was just a little while ago.Andrey Yepishin got a bad start and didn't medal.He still ran a respectable 10.27 for his final race of the season.It was still a good season for him and he should build on it for next year.

freedom1

Mentor
Andrey peaked nicely this year for the Euros where he turned in his PB (10.10) under less than ideal conditions. If he can follow the same pattern next year, he's still young enough to improve again.

white is right

Hall of Famer
If he runs rounds like that next year he could final at the worlds. He will have an even better chance if there is truly a breakthrough in the testing procedures....

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Yepishin will concentrate on the outdoors this season.He wants to make the finals at the World Outdoor Track & Field Championships.He will probably only run around 3 or 4 indoor sixty meters races this season.Look for big things coming this summer!