Andrew Rock

Rock did look good, considering the wind and the fact that the Nationals
are still a good bit off. It's third time I've seen him in person, and he looks
smoother each time out. He's definitely much more confident looking
than he appeared to be a couple of years ago.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Andrew Rock finished a close second today to Clement.He seemed like he waited to long to make his move but still ran great in a quality field.He ran a 44.87.He will be ready for Indy and the US Nationals in 2 weeks.

Vindicator

Andrew looked good and I was pleased to see ESPN2 give him good on-air visibility before and during the race. Andrew showed his leg speed in the first third of the race and his guts in the final 100 meters. He's a patient, disciplined, smart runner with true talent and courage. I think we'll see Rock break his PB of 44.35 this season!

freedom1

Mentor
Wariner and Rock will be going at it in the 400 on July 8th in the Gaz de France. It's gonna be a good one!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I can see Rock possibly pulling off a huge upset.He is just itching to beat Wariner.Either way,we win.Andrew Rock is such a great guy on and off the track.Addidas just recently signed him to a 5 year extension through the year 2011!That should help him to pay the bills.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Rock will face Wariner this weekend at the Addidas Classic on Sunday.This should be special.Good luck to the both of them.

freedom1

Mentor
Rock looking to start rolling in a different direction
By KIRK BEY | La Crosse Tribune

Perhaps a change of direction will benefit and prolong Andrew Rock's professional track and field career. Then again, he knows it might not.

All Rock knows is that he's both ready and willing to start over. The man who was a 17-time NCAA Division III All-American sprinter at
Andrew Rock demonstrates the Hummer Bicep Curl. Dick Riniker photo

UW-La Crosse and a member of the United States' gold-medal winning 1,600-meter relay team at the 2004 Athens Summer Olympics made his move when he withdrew from the 400-meter dash quarterfinals at the U.S. Olympic Trials on June 29 in Eugene, Ore.

Rock wrote Tuesday in an e-mail that he switched to the 400 hurdles a month ago and is "leaning toward making an effort to run that event." Rock, who did travel to Eugene, declined to say why he withdrew from the Olympic Trials, only writing that he's in "a period of transition and the trials just didn't fit into those plans."

So now the 26-year-old Rock, who won the 400 at the 2006 U.S. Outdoor Championships and was ranked fourth in the world that year, will return to an event in which he once excelled. Rock was the Division 3 state champion in both the 110 and 300 hurdles while competing for Stratford High School at the 2000 WIAA state meet.

"Maybe somewhat of a new challenge will help me out," Rock wrote. "I am really enjoying it right now and want to keep things on a positive note.

"I don't know if it will work out but I am really enjoying it and it is worth a shot. That is more or less my plans for the immediate future."

Rock's coach, former UW-L track coach and current University of Wisconsin assistant Mark Guthrie, is waiting to see exactly what that future holds.

Guthrie, who also declined to say why Rock withdrew from the Olympic trials, said Monday night that Rock was "fine" both physically and mentally. Judging by what he had seen from Rock through his training â€â€￾ he had run a personal-best 200-meter time of 20.48 seconds in mid-June â€â€￾ Guthrie believes Rock likely would have finished anywhere from third to fifth in the 400 final at the Olympic trials.

The top three finishers earn spots on the U.S. Olympic team. Rock finished sixth in the 400 final at the 2004 Olympic trials, but still earned a spot on the 1,600 relay team.

"From what I saw leading up to the trials, I am 90 percent certain he would have made the (U.S. Olympic) team," Guthrie said. "He might not have finished first or second, but he was certainly better than sixth."

Guthrie said Rock had recently met with his agent, Barbara Huebner, and "felt pretty good" after talking with her. Now Guthrie will do whatever he can to help Rock get to where he wants to go.

"One thing about Andrew is he makes great decisions," Guthrie said. "I'll support him in whatever he wants to do."

Rock is optimistic his decision to return to an event at which he once succeeded ultimately will pay off.

"I am moving forward with this idea and want to remain excited and positive and not look to things in the past that I cannot change," Rock wrote.

G

WTF? That has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

Andrew Rock is an idiot!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Well even though I would have liked to see him stay in the 400 meters, it's his decision and hopefully it will work out. I have to admit though however like nevada that it doesn't seem like a good change at this time. He won the us 400 championship once and finished 2nd at the world championships. Who knows, maybe being married has taken a little away from his training.

He does have a chance to make an impact at the 400 hurdles. Joey Woody is pretty much done now so maybe Rock can pick up where he left off. If you want to see some really good 400 Hurdle guys, South Africa has 2 or 3 white guys that are pretty damn good.

G

Rock will regret this decision for the rest of his life.

What gets me is his coach talking about his decision like it was a good idea. That guy should be fired immediately.

Who saw this coming? Wariner and Rock both making epic mistakes in an Olympic year.

freedom1

Mentor
Question for the track nuts, how would Rock's super fast 400 meter times effect his performance? Would he have trouble with the steps or running into the hurdles? I doubt any of the current top competitors in this event could match his speed.