G

A good big man beats a good little man.

Unless...

smiley18.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRLHHqW4DiU

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
What is the video that "Medgar Evans"linked toof? I'm not a registered YouTube user so can't see it. From his user name I'm assuming he's a troll, possibly that weirdo with the Gerry Cooney obsession that keeps getting banned.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
What is the video that "Medgar Evans"linked toof? I'm not a registered YouTube user so can't see it. From his user name I'm assuming he's a troll, possibly that weirdo with the Gerry Cooney obsession that keeps getting banned.

Michael Spinks -vs- Gerry Cooney 1987.

Gary

Mentor
Marciano was a little men of 5'10 185lbs and KO'd Walcott who was bigger.Quarry was 6' 198 and KO'd Shavers,Foster and beat Ron Lyle's oversized booty!!!!

Gary

Mentor
Quarry was only 196lbs when he beat up 235lb Buster Mathis and Quarry beat George "Scrap Iron" Johnson 3 times and Jerry rarely was over 200lbs-Johnson always had more weight.Dempsey at 195 would beat Ali at 210,believe me!!

Bart

Hall of Famer
Couple of interesting snips from articles about Mathis

Six weeks after the Chuvalo triumph, Buster would take on
the erratic but always entertaining Jerry Quarry. On the night they fought
Quarry was nothing short of brilliant. It was a boxing clinic and Buster was
soundly defeated. At this point Buster took some time off after a high
profileloss.

Mathis suffered from various health problems in later years, such as diabetes and kidney problems. He suffered a heart attack and two strokes. His compulsive eating had ballooned his weight to 550 pounds and, in 1995, he died of a heart attack at age of 52.

He won 30 fights (21 by KO) and lost 4 (with Frazier, Jerry Quarry, Ali and Lyle).Edited by: Bart

Bunnyman

Guru
Must have never forgiven Cooney for what he did to Ken Norton, Jimmy Ellis and Ron Lyle (among others).

patriot

Guru
does herealize it's 2007 nowget some up todate videos. at least something that came out after I was born.

dkr77

Guru
Cooney may have not been the most skilled boxer in our time but he had one of the most devastating left hooks to the body I have ever seen.

JBHunt

dkr77 said:
Cooney may have not been the most skilled boxer in our time but he had one of the most devastating left hooks to the body I have ever seen.

John Bernard Hunt III replies:

Oh yes, that's why Michael Spinks walked right through it, and Foreman barreled right through him; and even in his early wins over tomato can set ups like Jimmy Young, you saw Young stand there and take punch after punch from Carnooney and never go down. The ref finally stepped in, but Carnooney couldn't even put the guy down with like a hundred punches to the head; for that matter, Norton, though they stopped the fight, was never even knocked off his feet.

Yeah, that's some kind of power, all right. If you say so...

pt.guard2

Guru
Cooney almost took off Norton's head. The only reason that Norton did not fall was that he was sitting on the ropes taking shots and could not fall. View the video below if you do not believe me.

No one is claiming Cooney was a great fighter, only that he was indeed a hard puncher with legitimate power who fought well against Holmes, even though he was over matched.

Cooney was a shot fighter by the time he fought Spinks and Foreman.

Does the fact that Spinks was destroyed by Tyson in 90 seconds mean that his career as a light heavyweight champion or his wins as a heavyweight over Holmes are meaningless?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fb0Qidm9Fg&mode=related&sear ch=

Bunnyman

Guru
I will add that both Foreman and Holmes said Cooney was the hardest puncher they faced (though this was before Holmes had fought Tyson).

Norton was trapped in the corner and was out on his feet after only a few of Cooney's bombs. The ref saved his life that night as Ken was trapped in the corner and could not fall.

Remember -- Cooney was only 25 when he gave Holmes all he could handle and did not quit. The ref stopped the fight in the 13th round. Now that championship fights are 12 round fights, Cooney would have lost a unanimous decision to a prime Larry Holmes.

There is a huge amount of racism in the criticisms of Gerry Cooney. Whatever his faults, Cooney had a great amateur career and was a legit top 10 contender with awesome power who beat some very good fighters (Norton, Young, Lyle ...). Sounds a little like Ernie Shavers, wouldn't you say? Yet, Shavers is heaped with praise for being one of the hardest hitting punchers in boxing who never won a title.

Yes, racism is still alive and well in America.

Bart

Hall of Famer
Bunnyman said:
Sounds a little like Ernie Shavers, wouldn't you say? Yet, Shavers is heaped with praise for being one of the hardest hitting punchers in boxing who never won a title.

Yes, racism is still alive and well in America.

Shavers is always spoken of in reverencial tones. Jerry Quarry wasn't supposed to be able to hang with him. Quarry Ko's him in the first round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myNypXx04k4