All-Star game

guest301

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Don Wassall said:
I picked up Ludwick and start him on one of my fantasy baseball teams.  I've noticed that every single time (and I do mean every time) CBS Sportsline posts an update on Ludwick, they refer to him as a "career journeyman," who they keep predicting is going to go into a slump for the rest of the season and lose his starting job. 

Ludwick, a former star player in college, is obviously not a "journeyman" but another white athlete who finally got a chance to play regularly and has produced.  His career stats before this season were 28 home runs and 96 RBIs in just 537 at bats, very nice power totals, but spread out over five seasons.  There's a big difference between a "journeyman" and someone denied the opportunity to show his talent on a regular basis.

After receiving yet another email update this morning that called Ludwick a "career journeyman" I sent the following reply to CBS Sports:  "Do you have an unbreakable rule there that Ryan Ludwick MUST be called a  "journeyman" EVERY SINGLE TIME you do a write-up on him?  We get the idea;  he was a journeyman before this season.  Now he's a starter.  Quit referring to him as a journeyman every time, it's embarrassing."

The latest update just arrived a bit ago. It reads: "Cardinals OF Ryan Ludwick went 3-for-5 with a triple, homer and four RBI in Saturday's 12-11 loss to the Pirates. Ludwick now has four homers in his last six games and 20 on  the season.  Looking back at his minor league stats, Ludwick did have  three seasons of 25 or more homers, so this season's power  explosion hasn't come completely out of the blue. After a .228 slump in June, Ludwick is getting the bat going again  over the last week or so and remains a solid low-end  starting OF in all mixed formats."

He wasn't called a journeyman! 
smiley36.gif

Maybe you made a difference Don with that email reply.
smiley32.gif
I don't know if I have ever heard of a black baseball player referred too as a journeyman.

guest301 said:
Don Wassall said:
Don Wassall said:
I picked up Ludwick and start him on one of my fantasy baseball teams.  I've noticed that every single time (and I do mean every time) CBS Sportsline posts an update on Ludwick, they refer to him as a "career journeyman," who they keep predicting is going to go into a slump for the rest of the season and lose his starting job. 

Ludwick, a former star player in college, is obviously not a "journeyman" but another white athlete who finally got a chance to play regularly and has produced.  His career stats before this season were 28 home runs and 96 RBIs in just 537 at bats, very nice power totals, but spread out over five seasons.  There's a big difference between a "journeyman" and someone denied the opportunity to show his talent on a regular basis.

After receiving yet another email update this morning that called Ludwick a "career journeyman" I sent the following reply to CBS Sports:  "Do you have an unbreakable rule there that Ryan Ludwick MUST be called a  "journeyman" EVERY SINGLE TIME you do a write-up on him?  We get the idea;  he was a journeyman before this season.  Now he's a starter.  Quit referring to him as a journeyman every time, it's embarrassing."

The latest update just arrived a bit ago. It reads: "Cardinals OF Ryan Ludwick went 3-for-5 with a triple, homer and four RBI in Saturday's 12-11 loss to the Pirates. Ludwick now has four homers in his last six games and 20 on  the season.  Looking back at his minor league stats, Ludwick did have  three seasons of 25 or more homers, so this season's power  explosion hasn't come completely out of the blue. After a .228 slump in June, Ludwick is getting the bat going again  over the last week or so and remains a solid low-end  starting OF in all mixed formats."

He wasn't called a journeyman! 
smiley36.gif

Maybe you made a difference Don with that email reply.
smiley32.gif
I don't know if I have ever heard of a black baseball player referred too as a journeyman.

You would sometimes see a black player referred to as a journeyman in the 1960's. Among sportswriters, this is considered a derogatory term. I can distinctly recall an outfielder named Ted Savage being called a journeyman.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen plenty of pro athletes, black and white, referred to as journeymen. In many cases it's an accurate description, little different than calling someone a "back-up" or "utility player" or "well-traveled." But with Ludwick, CBS Sportslinein their daily updatesjust had to call him a "career journeyman" every day without fail even though he was a second round draft pick and clearly is no longer a journeyman.Starting players who make the All Star teamare not journeymen. To keep calling him a journeyman in that case is to be deliberately derogatory.

BTW, Sports Historian,I remember Ted Savage. I just checked his career stats out and he played for seven teams in nine seasons and had but 1,375 at bats and a batting average of .233. Now that's a journeyman!
smiley36.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Ichiro Suzuki was invited to participate in the Home Run Derby!?!?!?! The guy's a great singles hitter, but come on. It would be like inviting Pete Rose to participate back in his hey day. Guess MLB officials are embarrassed about so many white players being in it this year.

[url]http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/07/ichir o_turns_down_home_run_der.html[/url]

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Ichiro Suzuki was invited to participate in the Home Run Derby!?!?!?! ...Guess MLB officials are embarrassed about so many white players being in it this year.

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/07/ichir o_turns_down_home_run_der.html

That is pathetic! Ichiro doesn't belong anywhere near a home run hitting contest.I happened to catch a portion ofthis afternoon's ESPN gabfest, and one of the personalitiessaid the home runderby would be more exciting if Alex Rodruigez and Puhols were in it.Never ends with these clowns.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
More classy behavior from white sports "journalists" and the white heathen living in Don King's America:

Papelbon's pregnant wife reportedly felt threatened

Red Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon blamed the New York media for creating a firestorm that resulted in his pregnant wife being threatened on Tuesday.

<DIV =inline-mug>
7614.jpg

Papelbon

MLB.com reported that during a red carpet parade for the All-Star Game that went down Sixth Avenue in Manhattan, Papelbon and his wife Ashley were bombarded by insults from fans.

"I feel like I needed to be in a bullet-proof car," Papelbon said, according to the Web site. "My wife is pregnant and she's getting her life threatened. It's stupid."

[url]http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/allstar08/news/story?id=349113 5[/url]

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
I liked this comment from the comments section:

That is why New York sucks not the team... The city. You all lack class and your city proves it. 8 out of 10 new yorkers are not educated run a deli and yell at people that are wayyyyyyy more succesful than you are. You the fans need to grow up. Kids watch the game to. My daughter asked why they are booing a man for walking. My only reason was stupid people that think its cool to boooh. The world would be better with out newyork fans. Plus enjoy your over priced tickets beer and food. You are all getting played.....

Damn straight.

Will the next circus feature a tiger? I like tigers...

Don Wassall said:
Ichiro Suzuki was invited to participate in the Home Run Derby!?!?!?! The guy's a great singles hitter, but come on. It would be like inviting Pete Rose to participate back in his hey day. Guess MLB officials are embarrassed about so many white players being in it this year.

[url]http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/mariners/2008/07/ichir o_turns_down_home_run_der.html[/url]

They should have brought in Vince Young.

Cuz dammit he's gotta be good for somethin'!
smiley36.gif

Realgeorge

Mentor
WBAL radio in Baltimore reports that Alex Rodriguez departed the All-Star Game after the fifth inning, and didn't say goodbye.

Unheard of. What baseball player leaves the All-Star game, or any game for that matter, while it's in progress? Could you imagine Harmon Killebrew leaving the 1969 All-Star Game? Or even Ozzie Smith punching out in the sixth inning? But "A-Rod" is arrogant and surly, I'm not in the least surprised.

Solomon Kane

Mentor
A-Rod's a major league jerk. Maybe his divorce will throw him off his stride a little; or maybe Madonna will ruin him with her weird Judaic kabbalah religion.