ABC on Klitschko ratings drop

June 21, 2005

Heavyweight Wladimir Klitschko asked the Association of Boxing Commissions to review his lowering in the latest IBF ratings from #3 to #4 behind DaVarryl Williamson, whom he beat by technical decision eight months ago (the #1 and #2 slots are vacant). In a non-binding opinion, ABC President Tim Lueckenhoff wrote, "While Mr. Williamson did participate in two bouts and Mr. Klitschko participated in one bout since October, 2004, it is the opinion of the ABC that the win/loss records of the respective boxers, particularly Mr. Klitschko's victory over Mr. Williamson, together with the level of competition in which each boxer engaged thereafter, supports a rating of Mr. Klitschko above a rating of Mr. Williamson."

Below is a letter sent by the Lueckenhoff to Klitschko's attorney Ron DiNicola and IBF President Marian Muhammad:

June 20, 2005

Ronald A. DiNicola, Esquire
Mitchell Silberberg & Knupp, LLP

Marian W. Muhammad
President, International Boxing Federation / United States Boxing Association

Re: Rating of Wladimir Klitschko

Dear Mr. DiNicola and Ms. Muhammad:

By letter dated June 15, 2005, Mr. DiNicola , representing Wladimir Klitschko, requested that the Association of Boxing Commissions ("ABC") conduct a "review" of the May, 2005 ratings of the International Boxing Federation ("IBF") in the heavyweight division wherein Mr. Klitschko was lowered from his No. 3 rating in the April, 2005 ratings of the IBF to No. 4, and DaVarryl Williamson was elevated from his No. 4 rating in the April, 2005 ratings of the IBF to No. 3. (see footnote #1) Upon being contacted by the ABC, through myself as its President, the IBF, among other things, forwarded to the ABC a letter from Daryl J. Peoples, the IBF Ratings Chairman, to Mr. Klitschko, dated June 13, 2005, in which Mr. Peoples set forth the reasons for the ratings changes in response to an "informal appeal" that had been filed by Mr. Klitschko. Therein, it was asserted that the ratings change occurred because Mr. Williamson has been more active than Mr. Klitschko; and that Mr. Williamson fought a "more superior opponent" than Mr. Klitschko (noting that Mr. Williamson's opponent was rated by the IBF, while Mr. Klitschko's opponent was not rated by the IBF). (see footnote #2)

Recognizing its limited statutory authority, but encouraging the fair, equitable and consistent rating of professional boxers by the various sanctioning organizations toward the end of ensuring a public confidence in the same, the ABC, after its careful consideration of this matter, makes the following, non-binding observations and comments.

Pursuant to 15 USC §6307c.(a), the ABC developed and approved guidelines for objective and consistent written criteria for the ratings of professional boxers; and the IBF adopted these rating criteria. One such rating criteria of the IBF states, in pertinent part, that:

"[r]atings must be solely based on:

(1) win/loss records,
(2) level of competition, [and]
(3) activity ... " (tabulation and bracket added).

Applying these ratings criteria, the ABC notes the following:

Win/loss records

Wladimir Klitschko, age 29, has a record of 44-3-0 (40 KO's).
DaVarryl Williamson, age 36, has a record of 22-3-0 (18 KO's).

Level of Competition

On October 2, 2004, Wladimir Klitschko (then unranked by the IBF) fought DaVarryl Williamson (then ranked No. 11 by the IBF), and Mr. Klitschko won by a technical decision. (see footnote #3)

Following Mr. Klitschko's win over Mr. Williamson, in the November, 2004 ratings of the IBF, Mr. Klitschko was rated No. 8, and Mr. Williamson was lowered from No. 11 to No. 12.

Wladimir Klitschko

Following his win over Mr. Williamson, on April 23, 2005, Mr. Klitschko fought Eliseo Castillo (18-0-0), and Mr. Klitschko won the bout by a TKO in the fourth round.

Previously, on July 3, 2004, Mr. Castillo defeated Michael Moorer, who, three months later, and throughout the ensuing seven months, was rated either No. 12, No. 13 or No. 15 by the IBF. Notwithstanding his win over Mr. Moorer, Mr. Castillo has not been rated in the top 15 by the IBF.

DaVarryl Williamson

Following his loss to Mr. Klitschko, on November 13, 2004, Mr. Williamson fought Oliver McCall, age 40, (44-8-0, 31 KO's) (not rated by the IBF in the top 15), and Mr. Williamson won the bout by a decision. (see footnote #4)

On April 30, 2005 (one week following the Klitschko v. Castillo fight), Mr. Williamson fought Derrick Jefferson (28-3-1) who was then rated No.15 by the IBF, and Mr. Williamson won the bout by TKO in the second round.

Previously, Derrick Jefferson had been rated No. 15 in the IBF ratings from June, 2004 through August, 2004; however, he was not rated in the top 15 of the IBF ratings from September, 2004 through November, 2004. (see footnote #5) On November 27, 2004, Mr. Jefferson fought Ed White (11-11-0) who, prior to that bout, had lost seven consecutive fights, six by way of being knocked out (four of those KO's coming in the first round), and Mr. Jefferson won the bout. Following his win over Mr. White, Mr. Jefferson was rated No. 14 in the IBF ratings and remained at No. 14 or No. 15 in the IBF ratings from December, 2004 through April, 2005. Thereafter, he has not been rated in the top 15 by the IBF.

Activity

Since Mr. Klitschko defeated Mr. Williamson in October, 2004, as noted above, Mr. Klitschko has fought once (vs. Mr. Castillo), and Mr. Williamson has fought twice (vs. Mr. McCall and Mr. Jefferson).

Comments

After becoming the 1996 Super Heavyweight Olympic gold medalist, Wladimir Klitschko made his pro debut on November 16, 1996. From that date to the present, Mr. Klitschko has compiled a record of 44-3-0 (40 KO's). Mr. Williamson made his pro debut on June 2, 2002. From that date to the present, Mr. Williamson has compiled a record of 22-3-0 (18 KO's). Thus, Mr. Klitschko has twice as many wins, and the same number of losses, as Mr. Williamson. Nevertheless, a boxer's win/loss record, standing alone, is not the sole basis upon which a rating is to be determined; "level of competition" and "activity" being among the other relevant factors.

Regarding the "level of competition" of each boxer, it is of particular significance that Mr. Klitschko and Mr. Williamson competed "head-to head" only eight months ago (October, 2004), and it was Mr. Klitschko who won that fight.

Six weeks later, on November 13, 2004, Mr. Williamson defeated Mr. McCall. Neither Mr. Klitschko nor Mr. Williamson participated in a professional boxing contest between mid-November, 2004 and mid-April, 2005.

Then, within a seven day period, Mr. Klitschko fought, and defeated, Mr. Castillo; and Mr. Williamson fought, and defeated, Mr. Jefferson. As to the "superiority" of these respective opponents, the ABC notes that, although not ranked by the IBF, in July, 2004, Mr. Castillo defeated Mr. Moorer who, three months thereafter and for the ensuing six months, was ranked either No. 12, No. 13, or No. 15 by the IBF. The ABC also notes that, although Mr. Jefferson was rated (No. 15) by the IBF at the time he fought Mr. Williamson, Mr. Jefferson, after not being rated by the IBF for a period of time, was again rated by the IBF (No. 14) after defeating Mr. White who, prior to that fight, had lost seven consecutive bouts, six by being knocked out with four such knock-outs coming in the first round.

While Mr. Williamson did participate in two bouts and Mr. Klitschko participated in one bout since October, 2004, it is the opinion of the ABC that the win/loss records of the respective boxers, particularly Mr. Klitschko's victory over Mr. Williamson, together with the level of competition in which each boxer engaged thereafter, supports a rating of Mr. Klitschko above a rating of Mr. Williamson.

Very truly yours,
Tim Lueckenhoff
President

cc: Dr. Flip Homansky
Greg Sirb
Bruce C. Spizler, Esquire
Ronald A. DiNicola, Esquire
Marian Muhammad

1. The April, 2005 ratings of the IBF in the heavyweight division lists Monte Barrett as No. 1 and Hasim Rahman as No. 2 (the IBF heavyweight champion is Chris Byrd). The May, 2005 ratings of the IBF in the heavyweight division states "NOT RATED" under the No. 1 and the No. 2 rating. Presumably, this change occurred in the aftermath of Mr. Barrett and Mr. Rahman agreeing to participate in a bout, scheduled for August 13, 2005, for the WBC Interim World Heavyweight Championship.

Pursuant to Rule 5(A)(1) of the IBF/USBA Rules Governing Championship Contests:

"... the Heavyweight Champion shall defend his Championship within one (1) year after acquisition by him in a sanctioned contest scheduled for twelve (12) rounds against the leading available contender designated by the Championships Chairman.

After compliance with this mandatory defense obligation, throughout the remaining term of a Heavyweight Champion's reign, he shall be obligated to mandatorily defend his Championship within the intervals of no more than nine (9) months against the leading available contender in the Heavyweight Division as designated by the Championships Chairman" (emphases added).

Accordingly, in the absence of a No. 1 rated boxer or a No. 2 rated boxer in the Heavyweight Division, the next "leading available contender" appears to be the boxer rated No. 3.

2. Pursuant to 15 USC §6307c.(c)(1), the IBF posted the ratings change on its Internet website, together with the following explanation:

"#3 Davaryl Williamson Moved up from #4 to #3 following win 4/30
#4 Wladimir Klitschko Moved down from #3 to #4 replaced by Williamson"

The IBF did not provide a copy of the rating change or the explanation to the ABC as required by 15 USC § 6307c.(c)(2).

3. After the completion of the fourth round, the bout was stopped due to an unintentional head butt suffered by Mr. Klitschko which resulted in Mr. Klitschko being unable to continue. Pursuant to regulation, Mr. Klitschko, who was ahead on points (judges' scorecards) at that stage of the bout, was declared the winner by a "technical decision."

4. After his fight with Mr. McCall in November, 2004, Mr. Williamson moved up to No. 8 in the IBF ratings for December, 2004 (with Mr. Klitschko moving up to No. 6). Mr. Williamson remained at No. 8 (and Mr. Klitschko remained at No. 6) in the IBF ratings for January, 2005. In the IBF ratings for February, 2005, Mr. Williamson moved up to No. 7, and Mr. Klitschko remained at No. 6. In the IBF ratings for March, 2005, Mr. Williamson moved up to No. 6, and Mr. Klitschko moved up to No. 4. In the IBF ratings for April, 2005, Mr. Williamson moved up to No. 4, and Mr. Klitschko moved up to No. 3.

5. In the IBF ratings for October and November, 2004, Michael Moorer (who, as noted above, lost to Mr. Castillo on July 3, 2004) was rated No. 15.

Both Klitschkos are bothering me.

They are huge in structure but lacking in some heart and awareness of
what a lot of boxing fans want in a fighter, esp. a heavyweight.

I think without their hulking size they would be unranked and fringe contenders.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Joe Don Looney said:
They are huge in structure but lacking in some heart and awareness of what a lot of boxing fans want in a fighter, esp. a heavyweight.

I think without their hulking size they would be unranked and fringe contenders.

Your comments are ridiculous!!!

Their "hulking size" is part of their physical attributes as is their boxing ability. Your comment is silly. "They are bothering you" so what! lacking in heart???? how are they lacking in heart?

Awareness of what boxing fans want? what does that mean, they are not black and criminals?

And by the way they are ranked because they win fights, if you beat ranked contenders you are not on the fringe.

I think you are one of those white guys that love the Mike Tyson type of boxer, a savage animal that belongs in a cage.

Gary

Mentor
Vitali Klitschko is the best Heavyweight fighter in years-he is hated because he is White and he can fight.The PC media can't stand it when a White fighter wins and wins,he makes a mockery of there PC black fighters.But what really burns there PC butts is there is no end to the number of Eastern European fighters who are taking boxing over.BEWARE of Alexander Povetkin-he won the Gold Medal at the Olympics and has just turned pro.

jaxvid said:
Joe Don Looney said:

They are huge in structure but lacking in some heart and awareness
of what a lot of boxing fans want in a fighter, esp. a heavyweight.

Your comments are ridiculous!!!

Their "hulking size" is part of their physical attributes as is
their boxing ability. Your comment is silly. "They are bothering you"
so what! lacking in heart???? how are they lacking in heart?

Their hulking size helps them compensate for flaws in other areas. That is rather obvious to any true boxing fan.

As for the lack of "heart" I think your response shows you are not really a boxing fan more of a great white hope fan.

They have POTENTIAL, but they are seriously lacking in many qualities. And those qualities are not race based.

Awareness of what boxing fans want? what does that mean, they are not black and criminals?

You are reacting hysterically. What does it mean? It
means..........Arturo Gatti, Mickey Ward, Rocky Marciano, etc. It means
fight to the death, go for broke aggressiveness. Especially when you
are obviously physically superior to most of your opponents.

And by the way they are ranked because they win fights, if you beat ranked contenders you are not on the fringe.

Their competition has been mediocre.

I think you are one of those white guys that love the Mike
Tyson type of boxer, a savage animal that belongs in a cage.

You are being hysterical again. I post as "Pax Americana" on
boxinginsider. Anybody who knows me from there knows I am the one
criticizing White male fans for glorifying the black male athlete as
their surrogate manhood. I was all over the White tyson fans before the
latest tyson trainwreck.

But that does not mean I will give the Klitschkos a free ride.

Gary said:
Vitali Klitschko is the best Heavyweight fighter in
years-he is hated because he is White and he can fight.The PC media
can't stand it when a White fighter wins and wins,he makes a mockery of
there PC black fighters.

I don't agree in Vitali's case at least. After losing to Lennox Lewis
it was Vitali who was a guest on the Jay Leno show and his stock
actually went up after that fight. Vitali would be a god at the
heavyweight division if he would only be more aggressive about
challenging other fighters. Including verbally.

Many people think he is avoiding Rahman in order to fight Maskaev.

That is simply embarrassing.

But what really burns there PC butts is there is no end to the
number of Eastern European fighters who are taking boxing over.BEWARE
of Alexander Povetkin-he won the Gold Medal at the Olympics and has
just turned pro.

Some eastern Euros are coming into the sport but where is the evidence of this "takeover"?

http://www.boxrec.com/index.php

White_Savage

Mentor
JDL, if you are a white man who's NOT a "white hope" fan, theres something seriously wrong with your view of the world.

If you think the system isn't biased against white athletes, then you are also wrong.

Your comments are way too familiar sounding...EVERY white man who wins in boxing has weak competition, according to some who shall go nameless. Vitali is the best in the HW right now, so it becomes a "weak division". Call it what you will, but the man has never really been outfought, only run into bad luck on a couple of occasions.

Every white fighter gets my support. Maybe if whites could get support out of their own race at least, there would be more whites in it. And I know the reason behind boxing's decline is that most people simply aren't interested in watching a couple of ******** fighting it out all the time. They want someone they can root for, IOW a white man, but the caste system won't serve it up to them, might give them ideas.

Love Thy Race!

ironfist

Guru
Hey Idiot and bigot Looney. Rahman is fighting Aug 13 so he won't be ready in Sept to fight Vitali. It's really Rahman who is doing the ducking. King knows the only way he can control the heavyweight division is to try and get Vitali stripped of his belt. He knows none of his stiffs could beat him. Lonney you sound like a self hating white man brainwashed by the antiwhite media. Vitali is not ducking Rahman. He had an operation you jerk. Edited by: ironfist

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Gentlemen! No need for name calling! LOL!

From what I've been reading on the web, I'm not convinced that Maskaev will be Vitali's next opponent. Brewster maybe, but not Maskaev.

It IS quite apparent though, that the various commissions do not want Vitali or Wladimir anywhere near any of the other belt holders.

Why isn't anyone pushing Vitali - Ruiz? Or Vitali - Byrd? Or Vitali - Brewster? I think its because the powers that be (read: Don King) know that Vitali will beat any of those guys and leave Don out in the cold.

Why else do they mention names like Maskaev, Barrett, Toney? Its ridiculous that the best fighters in the division won't fight each other.

And if anybody is ducking anybody, it looks like Byrd is ducking more than anybody else.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've enjoyed Joe Don Looney's posts. I don't agree with his post about the Klitschkos but I agree that there has been a strongover-reaction here. This is called a discussion forum; let's discuss where we disagree. Sounds like some of you guys are missing Pugnus!
smiley4.gif

Gary

Mentor
Vitali was on Jay Leno-so what!The PC media threw him a small bone.Maskaev beat Vitali in the amateur's-Maskeav Ko'd Rahman-Who has Rahman beat to be the No.1 contender?Forget Barrett,Mesi and Wlad both beat him.Williamson was Ko'd in 1 round by Mesi and also beat by Wlad-putting Williamson ahead of Wlad in the ratings is SIMPLY EMBARRASING!!About the takeover, until the Russians came we had one good White Heavyweight per decade!Quarry,Cooney and Morrison.What do I see now!!!!Vitali and Wlad Klitschko,Oleg Maskaev,Valuev,Chagaev,Dimitrenko,Vidoz,Sanders, Lyakhovich,Virchis,Both Ibragimov,Bidenko,Platov,Povetkin and I could go on!!You say Vitali is ducking people-Who is he ducking?Everytime he fights the PC media say he'll lose and then he beats the snot out of the the other guy{Kirk Johnson,Danny Williams,Larry Donald,Vaughan Bean}.When he comes back from his injury you must know in your heart he'll beat anybody he fights and it probably won't even be close.Who is the Black Hope to scare these Eastern Europeans out of boxing!Guinn was there brown eyed boy but Lyakhovich took care of him.Now Samuel Peter is there Hope
smiley36.gif
.Keep him away from Valuev as long as possible.

Gary

Mentor
Talking about Duck-Byrd is ducking both Vitali and Wlad,Lewis is ducking Vitali,Byrd in fact seems to be ducking everybody that owns a jock strap,mention almost any Eastern European and Byrd has a bowell movement in his panties.Rahman wants no part of Maskaev and Valuev has trouble finding anyone who will fight him!!!

Sean

Mentor
Joe Don Looney said:
Gary said:
Vitali Klitschko is the best Heavyweight fighter in years-he is hated because he is White and he can fight.The PC media can't stand it when a White fighter wins and wins,he makes a mockery of there PC black fighters.
I don't agree in Vitali's case at least. After losing to Lennox Lewis it was Vitali who was a guest on the Jay Leno show and his stock actually went up after that fight. Vitali would be a god at the heavyweight division if he would only be more aggressive about challenging other fighters. Including verbally.

Many people think he is avoiding Rahman in order to fight Maskaev.

That is simply embarrassing.

But what really burns there PC butts is there is no end to the number of Eastern European fighters who are taking boxing over.BEWARE of Alexander Povetkin-he won the Gold Medal at the Olympics and has just turned pro.
Some eastern Euros are coming into the sport but where is the evidence of this "takeover"?

http://www.boxrec.com/index.php

Yes, the Eastern Euro's are taking over. Perhaps you should look at all the up and coming heavyweight prospects. You will find that the majority of talented ones are now indeed white.

Vitali is not avoiding Rahman, he is taking a fight before he fights Rahman. Nothing wrong with that, it's called a tune up. Besides, Maskaev is a better fighter than Rahman! Maskaev already beat Rahman, who couldn't beat Ruiz, even Holyfield beat on him!

Vitali also offered James Toney a guaranteed 3 million to fight him, Toney has not yet responded to my knowledge. All he has said is, it's in Klitschko's hands. Well, Klitschko offered him the money, we'll see if Toney is lacking in the guts department!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Guys... Maskaev is good, but he HAS been knocked out by:

Corey Sanders, Lance Whitaker, Kirk Johnson, David Tua,and Oliver McCall. Yes, I know some of these were very early in his career, but his win over Rahman isn't all that recent, either (1999).

Since his loss to Corey Sanders, Maskaev's last 8 opponents were a combined 170-109, of which the wins are skewed by the W-L record of David Defiagbon, who was 21-0 when Maskaev beat him in a split decision.

Personally, I really like Maskaev. I can watch that KO clip of Rahman over and over again. But I think Vitali would knock him out just like the other five.

Gary

Mentor
Yes Vitali would most likely KO Maskaev.I don't even like seeing two White men fight.But Rahman has done nothing to be considered better then Maskaev.By the way that split decision win over Defiagbon was a joke,Maskaev pitched a shutout in that fight.There are enough black fighters out there for white fighters to fight-we don't need to knock off each other.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Gary, going to be hard for us to have it both ways. We want white fighters to dominate, but once they take over we won't be able to avoid having white men fight each other.

It will be interesting to see if public interest in boxing wanes with the arrival of more good, white fighters, or if it will increase...

p.s. I agree with you re: Rahman. I don't know why he has as many nuthuggers as he does. Holyfield made him look like an idiot. Edited by: White Shogun

Gary

Mentor
I agree that at some point in time White fighters will have to fight other White fighters BUT I don't like it.Remember when Mesi fought Jirov?Mesi's career was ended and Jirov lost.Mesi was good and could have fought for the Championship.Jirov could be the 190lb Champ-Why knock off each other?There are enough Black fighters for us to fight for the time being.