7 whites in Double Digits

j41181

Master
Gentlemen,

After watching the Toronto-Indiana game live, I was expecting a typical night where only a handful of whites score 10 or more points. I was astounded when I looked at the final score sheet...7 WHITES scored in double figures:

Jose Calderon - 21 points, 3 rebounds, 7 assists, 1 steal
Hedo Turkoglu - 14 points, 3 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 steals, 3 blocks
Andrea Bargnani - 14 points, 7 rebounds, 1 assist, 1 block
Rasho Nesterovic - 12 points, 7 rebounds
Marco Belinelli - 11 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal
Troy Murphy - 11 points, 8 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks
Tyler Hansbrough - 10 points, 4 rebounds, 1 block

Jeff Foster only had 4 points, and it could've been 8 had Mike Dunleavy been healthy for action. Which brings to question, "when was the last time this ever happened?"

One might have to go back to the 50's and 60's. The 1985-86 Boston Celtics had 3 white starts, and 3 good white subs. I never saw any of their games, save for the replay game where Michael Jordan scored 63 points on them in game 3 of the 1986 1st round playoffs. The highest scoring game (186-184) in NBA history between Detroit and Denver (Dec. 13, 1983), saw "only" 6 whites score in double figures. I doubt this feat ever happened in an NCAA game, not for the past 30-40 years.

I've seen so many NBA games for the past 15 years, and never have I seen this kind of a game before, I mean, 7 whites with 10+ points in the same game? I know most will not bother, but this truly is an amazing feat, considering the continued dwindling of non-blacks in the league.

forty-four

Guru
A great game indeed! I would've thought it happened back in the Bird era in Boston. They had 3 guys (Bird, Ainge, Mchale) do it regularly. I'd suspect they got it up to 4 occasionally against another fairly white team (Utah? Phoenix?) also having 2 or 3 white guys hitting double figures, but I may be wrong. Good find anyway. Thanks.

referendum

Mentor
With any game involving the Raptors and another at least somewhat white friendly team this is a possibility. As I've mentioned in a previous post, the Raptors are close (at least for an NBA team) to an ACB (spanish basketball league) team, with their eclectic mix of European starters and bench players.

j41181

Master
Fightingtowin said:
j4118, you do a great job in this thread.
Thanks, dude!

whiteathlete33 said:
Was Troy Murphy injured?  I saw he had no stats for a while. 
Murphy was out with a strained back for several games.