3 runners die in Detroit Marathon

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Just goes to show how dangerous Detroit is for white guys.
smiley2.gif
Three in one marathon is a bit much.

This is a chance to rag on joggers which I love to do. People weren't made to run long distances. Humans evolved to have to run fast enough to catch an animal or enemy or outrun an animal/enemy, and not very far. Even animals don't run far. That multi-mile running is crazy.

And do you ever see a jogger enjoying themselves? They all look like they have a bad case of constipation when they are running. How is being in pain all over your body any fun? Also, please get off of the road. Roads are for cars. When you start paying a road tax for your $200 sneakers you can have right of way.

Joggers will tell you how healthy they are. No. Their health costs are huge. Oh sure their heart is healthy but their legs break down as would be expected from someone who pounds pavement for hours a week in violation of what the body was designed for. Everybody I know that runs has had multiple knee problems and goes to the doctor dozens of times a year only to have the doctor tell them to stop running, which they do until the pain goes away, and then they start running again. It's like smoking. Without the tax benefit to society.

I tried running when I was young but quit because something about aching knees, sore legs, and wanting to puke after running discouraged me. Now they are dropping dead during marathons. In thios case it was a Sunday, they should have been on the couch with a cold beer watching football. No one dies on a couch with a cold beer.

Were 3 Marathon Deaths Just a Fluke?

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
LOL on joggers JaxVid. I've always been a big guy & never had top-notch cardio. Even when I was playing hoops & football (in good shape), I (also) hated jogging. For cardio, I prefer hill sprints, mountain hikes, life cycle+treadmill and swimming. I wanted to start mountain biking as well. I'll pass on jogging though.
smiley2.gif
Edited by: DixieDestroyer

white is right

Hall of Famer
As somebody who used to jog in my 20's. I can tell you I never had any interest in doing more than 10 miles. It's true the training is brutal on the knees and shins. Like all forms of exercise moderation is the key.

Menelik

Mentor
Got into jogging while in the Army. I run at least 3 times a week 2-5 miles at a brisk pace. The farthest I have ever ran was 10 miles and I couldnt even imagine doing a marathon!
smiley5.gif

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I do jog as part of my workout routine...only like 2-3 miles every other day on the treadmill and than once a week run about 4 1/2 miles. I try not to overdo it but I do like having some stamina built up. Im not going to run a marathon or anything though....thats just stupid. I also lift weights, in this day and age all of us are potential targets so you have to keep in shape.

Not bashing any of you who do not run because there are definitely more than one way to work out/get your cardio going.

Tom Iron

Mentor
I used to be a runner, but for the most part, I don't think much of running. But I did discover a way of running that might be helpful to you. What I would do would run everywhere I had to go to do an errand. I lived in NYC at the time. So if my wife wanted me to go down to the store for something, I'd put on my sneakers and run there and back if the item she wanted wasn't to big to run with. When I went to the subway in the morning, I ran. Of course, when I came home, I ran. I simply ran everywhere. Most of the time, I was only running a block or two. But it all adds up, the constant running. I had a job in Harlem and I ran there (about 7 miles), over the triboro bridge each morning. Running isn't bad if you use it for something useful and you also get in your running.

Stay away from the races. That's just a bunch of baloney.

Tom Iron...

Very interesting take on it Jaxvid. Your points are well noted, and I think there are health hazards in nearly every form of exercise. Also, some people are built differently. I do like to run because I think it's the most efficient form of losing body fat and staying in relatively good muscular shape. Yes, the people who take it to the extreme do beat up their legs and backs, but for the most part if you build distance and speed slowly, your muscles should be able to recoup and take the impact over time. Also, the feeling like puking is a result of running too fast too soon. Slow it down a little and it should take care of that.

Many females have asked me how to get in shape. Haven't you seen those girls that are pretty, but could stand to lose a few pounds? I tell them if they just started running, they would be totally hot. No change in diet needed (although that could help), no gym membership, and it's free and you can listen to your ipod. Same thing goes for guys, except strength exercises should be more emphasized in addition to running.

Of course there's other forms of cardio, swimming, basketball, tennis, elliptical machine, etc. Do whatever you like. I like to do those things to, but I'm pretty lazy when it comes to that so I can just throw my shoes on and run 3 miles at 10 PM if I want to. I usually like to run 3 to 4 miles about 4 to 5 times a week. It keeps me in great shape, although I think some of that is natural as I don't seem to gain fat very easily.

Kaptain

Master
I can't do running. I see it as a boring and repetative type of exercise. I tried it once and had more injuries than any other time in my life. As for women joggers looking good - sure they lose weight but they generally lose all their muscular shape. Just take a look at most olympic long distance runners. They all look like pair of bean poles propelling a skeleton to an endless torture routine. I'll take a tennis player, swimmer, soccer lady etc. over a runner anyday.

I play basketball now 2-3 times a week and lift weights for about 1/2 hour 2-3 times a week also - usually on the same day.

GiovaniMarcon

Mentor
Whatever floats people's boats so far as sports goes, I say more power to them. Part of all sports is pushing one's self to greater physical and mental achievements, and if running gives people that high, then that's their bag.

Any type of physical exertion done for sport and competition rather than plain survival has the potential for creating unnecessary injury, so running shouldn't be singled out as an illegitimate sport.

Having said all that, though, both joggers and bikers need to get over themselves when it comes to hogging the shoulder of the road, and ditch the headphones so they can actually avoid getting run over when they charge into intersections without looking.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I've been running for over 30 years. At my peak, during college and for a few years after,I would run5 or 6miles almost every day at a steady clip of about 7 minutes a mile. Now I run (jog is the better word for my slowed down pace) about 3 miles on an average of four or so days a week. I do it for maintenance, the same reason I lift weights. Running is a nice workout, helps keep the body fit, and is especially helpful for burning calories given that just about everybody's metabolism slows down by their late 20s or early 30s.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Run Forrest run!!!!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think you're the driver who tried to run me over in 1987!

Alpha Male

Mentor
Tempo running - running at about 70% max for 100 to 200 yards - is useful for athletic conditioning. Sprint programs utilize tempo running during the general prepartion phase to prepare the body for true speed and power work later on in the season. I'd recommend it over marathon running any day. It's also a great time saver; no need to run endless milesto obtainpeak conditioning.

The Hock

Master
I was introduced to the joys of running when I joined the Army. Did a lot of running in those four years, a lot of it in platoon or company formation. Extra fun if the couple guys ahead of you have poor hygiene and are sweating out the previous night's boozefest. Running in combat boots was real good for my feet and legs I'm sure. With all that running and my two pack a day smoking habit and love of German beer my body didn't know what the hell was going on.

I've been an on again off again jogger ever since. Been off for a while and was thinking about starting up again, but Jaxvid's post talked me out of it.

Westside

Hall of Famer
Interesting thread. I run about 3 or 4 times a week at 4 mile clips. I do it to stay at 155 lbs while eating what ever I want. What is great about being in running condition is after a brisk 4 miler, once your done about 3 to 5 minutes later you feel great and not tired.

I highly recommend it. As with any thing moderation is key.

I completed two marathons. Most runners do not prepare right. They see the marathon as this great challenge. They are usually people who never went out for a sports team. Now they want an athletic achievement. Finishing amarathon does impress people. Too many people think if they have enough "Will power" they can finish.
The rule of thumb is that your maximun distance is three times your average daily run. You run 4 miles, your max is 12 miles. Then you hit the wall. I should also add that you should be prepared to sleep 9 to 10 hours a night. Any less, and you are endangering your health. If your life is too busy for extra sleep, don't train for the marathon.
Except your limits also. A friend of mine just runs in 10K races. He doesn't have time to train for anything longer.

Bronk

Mentor
Having played football, run track, served in the Marines and played Rugby, I can tell you that I never cared for running even though it was a must.

Today, I don't run because the wear and tear on the legs and the joints is pretty harsh. Also, I was out for a run by the roadside about 20 years ago and a car full of Mexicans threw a bottle at me that very nearly hit me in the head. Instead, I lift weights and walk stairs and stands.