2023-'24 NHL Season

NikoDuke

Mentor
ESPN/ABC has black sportscasters for the NHL all-star game. So ridiculous. It never ends.
That's been the case for at least 3 season since the great St Floyd left us.. and it's quite worse in Canada. When I'm back in NY watching the Rangers on MSG, it's quite refreshing as it's mostly ex players. On Canada it's heavily Blacks and female sportcasters.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The defending Stanley Cup champions Golden Knights beat Edmonton in the first game after the All Star break to snap the Oilers' 16 game win streak, so the '93 Penguins still hold the record with 17 straight. :beer-toast1:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The Pittsburgh Penguins are finally righting a long-standing wrong and will retire Jaromir Jagr's number 68 during a ceremony before a home game in February.

Jagr is one of the most amazing athletes ever. He played nearly 30 years in the NHL and is the second leading all-time scorer behind only Wayne Gretzky. He won five scoring titles while with the Penguins and during his first and second seasons the team won the Stanley Cup while Jagr was aged 19 and 20.

He was born and raised in Czechoslovakia and wore number 68 in honor of the Czech uprising against the occupying Soviets in that country in 1968. He loved coming to America and was filled with joy and had a lot of charisma. He even had a "room brightening smile."

When the Penguins became a bottom feeder after Mario Lemieux retired for the first time in 1997, Jagr made some noises about being unhappy and he eventually was traded to Washington in a very lopsided deal in Washington's favor. The DWFs in Pittsburgh, instead of showing appreciation for what Jagr had accomplished for the organization as one of the best hockey players ever and certainly the second best in team history behind only Lemieux, began relentlessly booing him every time he played a road game in Pittsburgh against the Penguins. Without exception, every time he touched the puck they booed. This went on until the end of his career, as Jagr played 17 more years in the NHL for a number of teams after leaving Pittsburgh. All because he made a couple of awkward statements in his broken English about being unhappy. These of course are the same DWFs that cheer for prima donna football players, buffoons, and players with lengthy rap sheets.

So I'm glad his uniform number is finally being retired. Hopefully it will be an emotional ceremony and the DWFs will finally "forgive" Jaromir Jagr and accord him the accolades and appreciation he deserves.
The day is finally here and Jagr's 68 will be retired this afternoon before the Penguins face off against the Kings at 6:00. Jagr participated in the team's practice yesterday in full uniform. At 52 years old he still plays in the Czech League for the team he owns. The second greatest scorer in NHL history, his professional hockey journey began at age 18 in 1990 when he joined the Penguins and continues to this day. A unique and most remarkable athlete, I'm glad the long overdue retiring of his jersey number is finally here and will be watching the ceremony.

Here's a nice highlight reel of Jagr for those who appreciate the beauty of the world's fastest sport when played at the highest level:

NikoDuke

Mentor
Jagr is an all time great player and in the 96 playoffs I had the chance to see him live and just dominate the rangers. Even as a young kid, I could recognize how elite his skill and intelligence were.

Of note, it is said that if he grew up in America he could've been an excellent wife receiver as he combined fast twitch fibers, body coordination and intelligence.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
Jagr is an all time great player and in the 96 playoffs I had the chance to see him live and just dominate the rangers. Even as a young kid, I could recognize how elite his skill and intelligence were.

Of note, it is said that if he grew up in America he could've been an excellent wife receiver as he combined fast twitch fibers, body coordination and intelligence.
Thank God he didn’t grow up in America. He might not have discovered hockey and no one would have witnessed his excellence!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The ceremony retiring Jagr's jersey number was tremendous. I didn't expect anything of this magnitude. And Jagr was great too, funny, insightful and still as charismatic as ever. Here's the video of it for those who liked Jagr and/or have fond memories of the Penguins of the 1990s. It's worth watching for the many Jagr highlights alone:

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe this should go in the Joe Biden's America thread:

18,500 missing Jagr bobbleheads plunged Penguins into crisis mode​

1-Jagr bobblehead.jpg

NikoDuke

Mentor
Maybe this should go in the Joe Biden's America thread:

18,500 missing Jagr bobbleheads plunged Penguins into crisis mode​

View attachment 4390
I read about this and immediately thought it was a joke but, nah it's real..

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Auston Matthews scored his 65th goal of the season tonight, the second time in his career he's potted at least 60. No one has scored more than 65 goals in a season since Mario Lemieux scored 69 back in 1995-'96.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I just hope he disappears in the playoffs like usual.
True that, as I didn't watch the Leafs much in their longtime run of first round playoff flops, but it would be surprising if last year wasn't the first time Matthews came up a dud, as he looked shockingly bad against the Panthers in the second round last year after Toronto finally won a first round matchup.

SneakyQuick

Mentor
True that, as I didn't watch the Leafs much in their longtime run of first round playoff flops, but it would be surprising if last year wasn't the first time Matthews came up a dud, as he looked shockingly bad against the Panthers in the second round last year after Toronto finally won a first round matchup.
I say this as a cats fan, but the leafs are so underwhelming in the playoffs I just hope we get a chance to play them

Tannehill17

Mentor
I say this as a cats fan, but the leafs are so underwhelming in the playoffs I just hope we get a chance to play them
I was wanting the Leafs too, but we got Tampa instead. I really want to beat Tampa though. I am just sick to death of that team.

Tannehill17

Mentor

SneakyQuick

Mentor
I was wanting the Leafs too, but we got Tampa instead. I really want to beat Tampa though. I am just sick to death of that team.
John cooper is a class act as a coach and I while I don’t like the bolts since they are our rivals, I admit I’d love having Stamkos on our team. The guy knows how to win and plays really hard.

That said, I hope we crush them in 4 straight. Haha